Sign in to follow this  
belongedtoair

Best OS for P3D?

I went from Windows 8.1 to Windows 7 last week and there was no performance change for me.

I don't know how the performance of P3D is on Windows 7, but I think it is great on 8.1. And my fsx runs better on 8.1, that I can say with certainty.

Cheers!

No difference really, currently on 8.1 but also used 7 in the past. Certainly not worth the downgrade. Another thing to bear in mind is that dx11.2 is not available on 7 so any further dx11 improvements will be windows 8 and upwards only.

Hello belongedtoair

The BIG Difference in Performance comes in going from 32bit to 64 bit - I can't see where Win 7 or Win 8 would make much difference IMHO :smile: B)

Johnman

Thinking about change to 7, will it makes any difference on performance?

If you've nothing better to do - go for it. Amazing how people waste their time.

Spirit

Personally I'd wait for Windows 10 (this is the "next" version, 9 being skipped as an OS identifier).  I'd only go from Win8.x to Win7 if you simply don't like how Win8.1 works/looks ... in theory Win8.x should be a "little" better in performance than Win7 but don't expect that to translate into FPS.  Maybe more consistent time between frames (marginal difference), but nothing that would warrant the trouble to go back to Win7.

I tried the Win 10 preview and it was buggy as expected but it does seem to now understand there is a difference between mobile computing and desktop computing.  However, the flat and ugly buttons and edge-less no shadow windows still exist in Win10 ... the entire flat look is a direct result of mobile devices and the limited screen resolution (not really a "fashion" statement).  The flat look works better on small mobile devices but is still being carried over to desktop which is unfortunate.  Leaving the end user wondering what part of the screen goes to what and the more obvious no visual clues as to what's been disabled/enabled so the user wastes time clicking on something they can't tell if it's active or not.  I don't know why this design is still being used for desktop as it serves no purpose.

Windows 10 will be the final OS that one can "buy" before Microsoft move to the subscription process.

Cheers, Rob.