Sign in to follow this  
CrewF16

This is a "Real" Pilot

Wow, Ron, an incredible find. Now THAT is what I do agree with you is a REAL pilot. Loved those 'skipping' the irrigators. Some verve, some skill.

Kudos to you for locating this. Am just about to Fwd it to a lapsed pilot friend.

Lots of crop dusting where I grew up.  One summer morning just down the road a duster was doing his job on a field with hazards on all sides.  We could hear him flying back and forth when suddenly our electricity went out with a POP.  Not a second later we heard a big THUD and then silence--no more airplane.  My brother and I tore outside, jumped on our bikes and headed toward the field.  

Sure enough, he'd hit the power lines on the field's south perimeter as he was descending for a run. Fortunately, he was able to walk away uninjured but the aircraft was unrecognizable as such and was smoldering away in the middle of the field.

Richard P. Kelly

how does that saying go... "there is old pilots, and there is bold pilots... but there are no old bold pilots..."

When I was a young kid my family went on a vacation to Florida. We stopped at a town somewhere at a great uncles home which was right across the road from a airport. The first thing I spotted was what to me appeared as 'big' was a really funky looking yellow airplane. Next I spotted the man sitting on the porch staring at the plane. I have never seen such a broken hearted man since. We and stayed an hour or so and he never moved never spoke. Mom and Dad went inside for a while and then we left. I asked about the man on the porch. Great uncle Ralph was a crop duster pilot, that was his airplane and he had just been permanently grounded because of a heart condition. I never heard any more of him or about him.

We have a few crop dusting outfits around here in Northwest Ohio. I got a chance once to pull over on a small country road upwind of a field that was being dusted. I got out and watched. What a treat that was! When the pilot was finished he flew down the road to where we parked and buzzed us as I waved and gave a big thumbs up. He turned back towards us and gave us a big exaggerated wing wave as he passed then disappeared over the trees.

One of the best Crop Dusting clips I have seen.

Thank you for sharing this! Great!

Regards,

I live in London Ohio. We have a county airport just a few miles from our house. Air Tractors fly out of there all season. They will sometimes fly over my house at about 500' on the way to the next field.

I sure wish that camera phones had existed back in the early 1980's. On my very first visit to my parent's new home on South Estero Island (aka: Ft. Myers Beach, FL), I was awakened about 5:00am by what sounded like a multi-engined prop plane buzzing the house!

I jumped out of bed, dragged on my pants quickly, and dashed out to the driveway just in time to see a DC3 doing a knife-edge between two tall condominiums! "Holy Smokes!" I thought, "that's a lot of smoke trailing him. I wonder if he's on fire?" :p0504:

Nope. He made a few more passes back and forth, then turned and flew off to the East, heading back to the mainland. When I asked my dad about it over breakfast, he said "Oh! That's just the mosquito control spraying..." :He He:

I have to wonder though what the folks living in those two condo towers thought about it all. Must have scared them the first time it happened! :LMAO:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Aah, memories, Fr Bill, and the lack of technology then to capture what's now locked in brain cells. I bet you'll remember that for a long time.

I sure wish that camera phones had existed back in the early 1980's. On my very first visit to my parent's new home on South Estero Island (aka: Ft. Myers Beach, FL), I was awakened about 5:00am by what sounded like a multi-engined prop plane buzzing the house!

I jumped out of bed, dragged on my pants quickly, and dashed out to the driveway just in time to see a DC3 doing a knife-edge between two tall condominiums! "Holy Smokes!" I thought, "that's a lot of smoke trailing him. I wonder if he's on fire?" :p0504:

Nope. He made a few more passes back and forth, then turned and flew off to the East, heading back to the mainland. When I asked my dad about it over breakfast, he said "Oh! That's just the mosquito control spraying..." :He He:

I have to wonder though what the folks living in those two condo towers thought about it all. Must have scared them the first time it happened! :LMAO:

That must have been some site! I wonder if the pilots descendants went on to fly in the Congo. (Search "Pilots of the Congo" on You Tube for some great DC-3 Flying)  

Check this one out  ---  and read the comments below the video!!!

I love it and the comments. Notice how much rudder he kicks. Who is this Pilot?