Sign in to follow this  
AF330

RMP/AMP Airbus

Hi

I just had this question: for example, you are in cruise level, you are talking with your co-pilot. I am sure that every other plane can't hear your conversation. So basically what do you do? When you mute your VHF/HF in the AMP, are they still able to hear you? Or do you mute both conversations? I don't think you push the VHF/HF you have tuned in the RMP...it would remove you from the frequency!! 

Thanks

Of course every other plane can't hear your conversation. You have to key in the mic to even transmit across the frequency (excluding a stuck mic situation, of course). If that didn't happen, the frequencies would be a complete mess.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Thanks,

So what do you have to do? If you mute the AMP, will it mute cockpit conversations? (of course, it will mute ATC/ other planes conversations...

Thanks

In cruise, you just talk the other pilot normally as you aren't wearing headsets.

Using a headset, your mike can only be selected to one channel.  You can listen to as many channels as you want (COM1, COM2, COM3, HF1, HF2, NAV1, NAV2, DME1, DME2, INT, CABIN, MECH, PA.)  You can listen to one, two or all 13 channels if you want.   Before you transmit you ensure your mike is selected to the channel you want to use.

The interphone is a hot mike when the switch is in INT, so there's no keying required to talk.  You just make sure the switch is in INT and then you just talk to the other pilot and anyone else listening in on the interphone (could be a ramper or mechanic outside, someone in the cabin, the other pilot or the flight deck observer(s), etc.)   You do have to make sure you have the INT channel selected for listening, otherwise everyone will hear you, but you won't hear anyone else talking to you.

Hi

Thanks!

What is the difference between microphone and interphone? Microphone is the headset, no?

Please help,

Thanks!

It would appear that the microphone is for the radios that get transmitted over the radio frequencies, whereas the interphone is transmitted within the plane if that makes any sense. So your ramp crew will have a headset that is attached to the plane.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Thanks a lot!

Ok, now that I have time, let me start from the starting point of F-COM 1.23.00 A320 communications:

http://www.smartcockpit.com/docs/A320-Communications.pdf

P1, 1.23.10 SEQ 001 REV23 says that the Radio management panel (RMP) permits us to tune a frequency. It then sends what we have entered by an electrical signal to the VHF/HF transceivers which is connected to the VHF and HF antennas. Here, the transceivers send an electrical signal to two different "places": to the antenna and the audio management unit (AMU). The AMU sends it to the audio control panel (ACP)

1) Is everything right?

Ok, let's continue: RMP 1 and RMP 2 are connected to each and every VHF/HF: VHF 1/ VHF 2/ VHF3 and HF1/ HF2 but RMP1 is generally used for VHF1 and HF1, RMP 2 is generally used for VHF 2 and HF2. RMP 3, on the overhead is for VHF3 which is connected threw RMP1 and RMP2.

2) Everything right?

The AMU: Audio management unit.

3) What is exactly it's use? Is it the AMP's computer?

4) What is a jack box?

5) On 1.23.20 P3, it says that hand mike and oxygen mask is connected to the AMU. Is it basically the boom with the microphone on the mike and the oxygen mask which is connected?

6) The data comes/goes to/from the AMP. What data goes to the AMU? For example, when we you turn the volume up, it sends an electrical signal to the AMU, which sends it to the transceivers who adjust the volume?

7) Are the transceivers connected to the microphones to adjust volume? 

Cabin Intercommunication data system: CIDS

8) Ok, so when we chose a frequency, it goes to the  VHF/HF transceivers. But when we talk with the cabin, it passes threw the CIDS?

9) Ok, so the lights, signals (no smoking...etc) pass by the CIDS? 

INT/RAD/Neutral

10) Ok, so when we press on INT, it let's the signal go/come from the cockpit to the cabin, you should have it ON, to be able to receive or to talk to the passengers/crew.

11) Neutral: You can only receive but you can not transmit (the most frequently used I imagine....)

12) RAD: You can talk/receive from the tower control.

Lot's of questions, still learning, please excuse me! 

Thanks a lot,

AF330

Hey, no worries! Never said that YOU HAD TO ANSWER! ;) Good night! ;)

Happy flights,

AF330