Sign in to follow this  
jabloomf1230

Well, it happened and two months earlier than I predicted

The main P3d forum is now second in total numbers of threads (and posts) to the the main FSX forum among the flight sim app forums. I wrote here back in May that this would happen "before the end of the year".  I'm not saying that this is a good thing or a bad thing. It's obvious that more people have switched to P3d, but the reason for increased posting may also be due to there being more issues showing up with P3d as the installed base gets larger. With the imminent release of the PMDG 777 for P3d, that rate of adoption should increase further.

The main P3d forum is now second in total numbers of threads (and posts) to the the main FSX forum among the flight sim app forums. I wrote here back in May that this would happen "before the end of the year".  I'm not saying that this is a good thing or a bad thing. It's obvious that more people have switched to P3d, but the reason for increased posting may also be due to there being more issues showing up with P3d as the installed base gets larger. With the imminent release of the PMDG 777 for P3d, that rate of adoption should increase further.

For myself personally, I have never left one sim for another. I just add sims to the 'sim-pool'.  I hit all the flight forums (except Flight, the only one I did not adopt) quite regularly.

That's pretty good, considering v2 has been out for a little less than a year. Any bets on how long before it takes over the number 1 spot?

Maybe Dovetail's imminent release will quell the upsurge. Good time to be an Av-simmer.

cheers, Jazz

It may never happen as the FSX general forum has 87,872 threads as we speak. And that doesn't include earlier versions of MS FS.

It may never happen as the FSX general forum has 87,872 threads as we speak. And that doesn't include earlier versions of MS FS.

Well...not quite....the FSX forum as it is today was originally the "MS Flight Simulator General Discussion Forum", so that 87K+ number does indeed include quite a large chunk of content that pre-dates FSX.

The original forum was from a time when members using different versions of the sim could coexist in peace and harmony, in the same forum, even !  :lol:

The FS9 forum we have today was actually created ~2006-ish, and only contains threads from that point on.

A few nostalgic screen grabs:

From Feb 2006 - still one forum to rule them all:

gr0pYj.png

...and from Nov 2006 - after the battle lines were drawn:

ArxxcP.png

Looks like it would be reasonable to strike a good 50K threads from the current total.

Regards,

Brian Doney

After a year I had hoped that P3D would become the undisputed champion. That it has not is indicative of it's teething troubles.

But it will get there.

- Bill Magann

Well FSX is abandoned so people will continue to move to P3D.

With PMDG moving to P3D and Xplane, the last rock for FSX has fallen.

After a year I had hoped that P3D would become the undisputed champion. That it has not is indicative of it's teething troubles.

But it will get there.

I don't see how that will ever happen. People have too much invested in either XPlane, FSX, FS9 or even Flight to just give that all up. Some of that is about money, as new add-ons and hardware don't come cheaply. Some of it is about resistance to change. And some of it is that not every person that uses a flight sim app expects state of the art performance and realism.

It's taken FSX 8 years to get to where it is now. P3D is continuing to evolve, as is it's user base, one can only imagine where it will be in 7 years time development wise. Will it surpass the MSFS series; It's inevitable.

Jazz

I don't see how that will ever happen. People have too much invested in either XPlane, FSX, FS9 or even Flight to just give that all up.

You could very well be correct. I still fly FSX more than P3D. Plus we are an aging group who are more likely to stay satisfied with what we already have.

But I can dream!

- Bill Magann

Well, 75 % of the topics are, tweak tweak crash, magic bullet crash, tweak, re-install crash. It seems nothing has changed. Trying to modify P3D into something it isn't will inevitably lead to a ton of topics.

My suggestion? Use only certified P3D addons and let LM advance their simulator, they're doing a rather good job...