Sign in to follow this  
tailspin45

Invalid pointer operation ... again

Infatuated with A2As B-17, I borrowed a Saitek yoke and stowed the Warthog stick/throttle I've used for a couple of years.

Discovered I have a lot fewer buttons and switches without the HOTAS (duh), so I reconnected two Cougar MFDs and found, in the process, that FSUIPC doesn't talk to the three Saitek panels I use (thank you sweet wife).

So I installed LINDA 1.13 by copying all the files into the FSX modules folder (after backing it up), and cut the stuff out of the FSUIPC4.ini and FSX controls file as directed.

LINDA boots with an immediate 'Invalid pointer operation' error but otherwise claims everything is okay although it shows no devices. 

I've spent several hours scouring the web with Google's help, discovered I'm by no means the first with this headache, but haven't found a solution.

I'm WIn7 SP1, FSX SP2 Accel, don't use Win8, TripleHead2Go, a second mouse or touch screen which have all been blamed as the problem and solution in the past.

FWIW I used to run LINDA 1.11 but uninstalled it. Still, I wonder about registry issues. For that matter, ever since I installed the yoke my system has been very weird--slow to start, crash on shut down, etc. But after restart, when such occurs, it behaves itself. So...

Anyone have any ideas?

Hi Tailspin

You have a hell of a system so I am not sure my contribution will be able to help you. The invalid pointer error you are getting. Where does it appear? Is it a windows error or is it being reported in LINDA's console?

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

LINDA Support/Developer - VATSIM and BAVirtual - Airbus Flyer

i7 1TB SSD GTX980 - FSX/P3D - Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321 - FS2Crew

The error is in a pop-up window that appears as soon as I launch LINDA.

Any contribution you might offer will be greatly appreciated!

Is this pop up entitled Console? Can you give the precise wording?

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

It's Linda itself that is giving the error. This is a long standing problem with Linda that was attempted to be fixed a long long time ago and we failed, and by we I mean by the developers of Linda and I tried to get to the root of the issue during the beta testing of the latest V1 of Linda,

Cheers, Andy.

Hi Andy, as I'm now on the case can you point me to the history of this fault.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

It was on the development tracker system, you would need to ask Artem for access to it, I can't even remember the name of the site where it was hosted to be honest. A search for "invalid pointer"on these Linda forums will find some info but not a great deal.

Cheers, Andy.

Until you figure out which of your devices is causing Linda to throw the error then yes it will be unusable. Check none of your devices create a virtual mouse.

Also to diagnose this some more unplug them all and see if Linda throws the error. Then use a process of elimination, plug one device back in and reload until you get the error again.

Cheers, Andy.

Went through and unplugged each USB device, one by one. Restarting LINDA each time. Error persists.

Unplugged everything but keyboard and trackball. Error persists.

Test it with a mouse, it may be the drivers for the trackball that is causing the issue.

Cheers, Andy.

Well DUH! The one thing I didn't try.

Yes, the Kensington Trackball was the problem. Unplugged it, plugged in a regular mouse and LINDA is happy.