Sign in to follow this  
jetblast

Two things I notice that are not realistic in fs2004

Having flown in real world situations I can tell you that the altitude perception in fs2004 is not realistic or accurate

When ATC takes me down to 2,000 feet it looks more like im at 500 feet, only until you get up-to a higher altitude can you really not notice the difference, is there anyway in the cfg file to adjust the level to a more accurate perception?

Also, there is an error in fs2004, when flying aircraft and you extend the flaps, the motion of the plane is to sink, this is not accurate, when extending the flaps the plane should start to climb at first as you push the yoke down to counter act this. Once again, is there a way to adjust this in the cfg file?

Thanks again, look forward to any suggestions

Iv been using 0.70 zoom of late

and yes I do like to use add-on aircraft, I would like to know what add-on aircraft incorporate the ballooning motion after flap extension.  Do you have a download link to a specific aircraft?

When ATC takes me down to 2,000 feet it looks more like im at 500 feet,

AGL, ASL, radar?

The blanket statement that all aircraft balloon when flaps are deployed is incorrect. That would actually be unrealistic.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I didnt say all, but a good add-on will model it if its realistic.

Of course you didn't... but the OP did.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

The blanket statement that all aircraft balloon when flaps are deployed is incorrect. That would actually be unrealistic.

All I know is from real world experience, when I flew the C172, and the Piper Seneca, when the flaps are extended the plane will rise , this is a FACT, this is because you are increasing the size of the wing, and as the flaps extend they also  curve downwards,  Newtons law of motion, Third law: When one body exerts a force on a second body, the second body simultaneously exerts a force equal in magnitude and opposite in direction on the first body.

Hi.

Here's one free C-150 that rises slightly when flaps extend:

http://www.fs-tutorials.com/en/down_plane_C150_01.php

The modelling is generally very good - you can even fly banked crosswind landings and spin it, though preferably not at the same time.

D

Thanks Dave,

Depends on where new center of lift is generated in relationship to the pitch axis and center of gravity.

There are REAL planes which exhibit a pitch-down attitude upon deploying the flaps.  I have witnessed this first-hand in full-motion simulators.

Actually had to explain the action to some of the instructors as they thought since deploying flaps always produce more lift, the aircraft should always initially "rise".

Gwillmot explains it perfectly. Has nothing to do with Newton's laws.

Also, I didn't say that aircraft can't pitch up... I said that your blanket statement that all aircraft pitch up is incorrect.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Gwillmot explains it perfectly. Has nothing to do with Newton's laws.

Also, I didn't say that aircraft can't pitch up... I said that your blanket statement that all aircraft pitch up is incorrect.

Newton's law does have a factor, this is why heavy aircraft extend the flaps on takeoff, increase wing size and for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, increase wing extensions (flaps) produces more lift, iv studied hundreds of hours and have 800 hours as a commercial pilot, no pilot knows everything of course, but what im saying is that fs 2004 got this wrong, in general there should be more of a pitch up attitude when the flaps are extended. Warp D Im interested in what type of License and hours you currently have in aircraft. I dont like confrontation, im not trying to be funny, its just I take aviation including fs very seriously , I have alot of passion for it

Let me get this straight... you're here trashing 10+ year old, home-entertainment, flight simulator software because it's got some glitches such as oversized scenery and not-entirely-accurate flight physics?  Welcome to 2004!  We've missed you.  We're so glad that we've finally got someone of your caliber to put us straight.

You don't like confrontation? Then don't be so confrontational and stop whining about obsolete software...

Cheers!

Eric Gee

Certified RTFM instructor

Newtons law of motion, Third law: When one body exerts a force on a second body, the second body simultaneously exerts a force equal in magnitude and opposite in direction on the first body.

Well, I have to admit that it's been a few years since I received my degree in Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering from Purdue University, BUT I don't recall Newton's Third Law of Motion being applied to aerodynamics.  We always stuck with Lift, Gravity, Thrust and Drag ... along with moments created by forces applied to/around the center of gravity and the three flight axis.  I DO recall a demonstration in Physics class that involved bumper cars and Newton's Third Law.  Does that apply here?  Just Say'n.

Does that apply here?

It may do. It depends whether you side with Bernouille (static v. dynamic pressure) or Newton (throw air down & your plane moves up). Having done some simple maths on the length of upper & lower surfaces, and then, on the flip side, considered aerofoils symmetrical abouth the chord I'm inclined to side with...

... both.

But it's a nasty wormcan regardless, as bad as religion or politics for engendering flamewars.

D

Newton's Third Law can't be applied because the actual mass of the flaps is so insignificant as to have no meaning when compared against the aircraft's overall mass. The only thing that affects whether an aircraft will pitch up or pitch down is how the flaps move the center of lift with relation to the center of gravity at the moment of deployment. No more, no less.

As for who has what credentials... really???? This is the internet... where people make up stuff all the time, especially credentials. LOL

Who/what I am is simple: I create training simulations for people to learn how to fly aircraft from a simple Cessna 172 to a Cessna CJ1+ or a King Air 350i, just to name a few. It's my job to learn the aircraft inside and out and then reproduce it in high fidelity in a simulated environment for training certification by the FAA. If I had a dollar for every time a type-rated pilot told me how something worked on their aircraft and was proven wrong, I'd be a multi-millionaire.

Is that enough credentials for you?

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69