Sign in to follow this  
Lon David

System Mechanic memory management FSX

Hey gents:

I bought System Mechanic many moons ago and promptly dumped it due to its proclivity for trashing window's voice recognition software.  For those of us with VOXATC, FS2Crew etc. a full reinstall of Windows and FSX was required to repair System Mechanic's damage.  HOWEVER.........

I no longer use Voice Recognition software with FSX (or anything else for that matter).  Too many instances of my better half staring at me strangely as I muttered to myself in my monitor-illuminated man cave.  I recently therefore re-installed System Mechanic , not for FSX, but to handle all the crud and accumulated detritus that comes to any computer as time goes bye.  AND.....

I noticed the new System Mechanic has a memory scavenging module that supposedly "rescues"  unused memory locked in software.  I know, I know, there is no method of freeing unused memory from FSX, it just can't be done.  Try, for example flying from Orbx PAJN to Orbx YBCS in the 777 PMDG using REX textures, ASN, Orbx Global, Orbx Vector, PNW and OZ Orbx scenery installed.  I am doing so now.  I checked my memory usage over Papua New Guineau, should be around 2.6, 2.7 gigs AND IT IS...

1.5 gigs!  What is even stranger, hit escape, go back in after a few minutes and memory usage reads .4 gigs and gradually builds back to 1.5.  Landing in YBCS memory used will be back to about 2.1 gigs,  approximately  where it was departing PAJN.  I have replicated this several times on different routes.  I find it hard to believe. 

So, in short it appears that, unless FSX has somehow magically evolved on my PC alone, System Mechanic should pretty well eliminate OOMS in FSX.  Just be aware, however, that System Mechanic will do other things to your PC as well, and if you ever want to run voice recognition software, stay far away.

Lon Duncombe

I suggest you do a bunch of searches about so called memory managers before allowing one on your system.

Consensus that I have seen is to avoid them.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

It is my understanding that windows does a pretty good job of managing itself.

It is doubtful that a second process can have any real effect on another process's memory pool.

What I believe most memory managers are doing is simply reshuffling the system's free memory pool that is available to all processes for dubious gains...

That being said a good emergency boot disk with a few good utilities is a must have.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "MOBO, RAM, CPU's & Other Hardware". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

I would be glad to provide screen shots.  It recovers unused memory in FSX, at least for me, without question.  OOMs are a thing of the past.How,  I have no idea. :huh:

It also trashes Window's voice recognition software so that's a big downside for those of us with VOXATC FS2Crew etc.

wouldn't touch that kind of thing myself.

CCleaner is all I use for registry software, and not used very often on my FSX machine.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I would be glad to provide screen shots

Please do

CCleaner is all I use for registry software, and not used very often on my FSX machine.

Even better than that, is Wise Registry Cleaner which offers Registry Defrag besides other things.