Sign in to follow this  
ZKOKQ

Could This Be The Cure For OOM's

You have been warned.

Yep, the importance of these community warnings can't be overemphasised. I've learnt that the hard way.

There are two separate but related events that occur whenever any resource is loaded into physical memory:

1. the data itself occupies nn MBs of physical RAM
  2. the address in memory where the data is loaded (Virtual Address Space: aka VAS)

The problem is that even if the memory (RAM) taken is "garbage collected", the address allocation remains in the VAS...

...as neither FSX nor P3D is telling the VAS table to release its allocation! As far as it's concerned, the starting address and the length is still occupied.

For FSX it's too late for any improvements to be made. The same cannot be said for P3D however, and L-M's team are trying to work out a way to clean the dead pointers from the VAS table.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Very informative, Fr Bill. Thanks for that. Learn more, again. As you state, hopefully, L-M will learn from MSFS's half-baked final delivery.

I'll be posting screenshots as soon as I can squeeze in a flight between work.  I have no idea how they do it, but words may be eaten B)  

The same cannot be said for P3D however, and L-M's team are trying to work out a way to clean the dead pointers from the VAS table.

It's a big challenge with more recent programming languages/tools ... threading really complicated matters on what can be destroyed ... back in the old days we had much more control for better or worse  and of course no threading ... lock those resources ... me, me, me, me :)

Unfortunately some of that baking is OS level and/or run time level and getting Microsoft to change this will be a dead end road.  Finding creative ways to work around the issue could violate all kinds of other "safe programming practices" and may even trigger DEP and/or other security exceptions. 

I see the lure of trying to find a solution ... a relatively short time investment "may" come up golden, or it may just open pandora's box of other issues to address -- that often happens in software development, you go down a path that initially shows promise on the surface but then increasing technical challenges as one gets deeper into implementation.

The alternative is obviously a 64bit solution ... that "particular OOM problem solved" ... but that opens up all kinds of other issues.

But here and now with the current situation with P3D, load up a complex airport, load up a complex scenery, load up a complex aircraft, toss in some weather, turn up the graphics settings and viola ... OOM within a minute ... without moving a single foot in the virtual world.  Nothing to be released on the memory side, just simply not enough of it.  So even if LM do work on improving resource release, it would not solve the inevitable scenario I describe above.

I have found a tool/app that has been very useful in terms of automating (making it easy) to optimize one's PC ... I usually don't recommend registry cleaners and/or optimization tools but I've had very good success with a product called AVG PC Tune up.  I like it because it lets me get as "involved" as I want to get or it will simply run in "economy", "standard", or "turbo" mode and I'll be completely un-involved.  "AVG PC Tune Up" will NOT help out with OOMs but it can quickly and easily identify services running and turn them on/off on the fly, identify registry issues and fix if so desired, and many more tasks.

I can't recommend System Mechanic ... I have used it many years ago on other PC in a land far away ... it performed some dubious activity and even removed a key exe that I needed for Visual Studio development work.  When I inquired about their Questionable activity to their support folks I got no response ... they were clearly identifying issues that weren't issues in order to make one think their product was doing something.  Anyway, that's my experience with System Mechanic.

Cheers, Rob.

Curiously, could a sim be built as if it were its own OS?

OS =  SIM  ?

bootable games were known in the past, used DOS I suppose

I usually don't recommend registry cleaners and/or optimization tools but I've had very good success with a product called AVG PC Tune up.

And let the "OMG", "I'VE SEEN THE LIGHT", "BEST TWEAK EVA!" etc etc threads begin in 3...2...1... LOL

BTW, on my way to check this AVG PC Tune Up out... hahahaha  :lol:

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

Me too please

Hawaii would do nicely

or Fuji even

If Tom will throw in a Grumman Goose and a few hula girls I'm down for banishment as well! lol 

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

And let the "OMG", "I'VE SEEN THE LIGHT", "BEST TWEAK EVA!" etc etc threads begin in 3...2...1... LOL

Please no! ... oh wait a second ... let me check their stock price ... ok go for it!

Please no! ... oh wait a second ... let me check their stock price ... ok go for it!

LOL As soon as I finished this flight I'm in the middle of, I will install the trial version... I love tweaking... And I did say tweaking, not twerking hahahaha

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz

not twerking

You and Mr. Sennett (I think Rich is on re-install number 1014)  ... best tweak ever is a 4K monitor as you don't need SGSS AA, nor NI ... open your wallet, set that fiber free  :)

Cheers, Rob.

You and Mr. Sennett (I think Rich is on re-install number 1014)  ... best tweak ever is a 4K monitor as you don't need SGSS AA, nor NI ... open your wallet, set that fiber free  :)

Cheers, Rob.

Oh yea, already eyeing one of those but waiting for prices to drop a bit more. Looking forward to a 4K HDTV of at least 46" to replace my current 46" 1080P.

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz

Cheers, Rob.

Are you actually serious?

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

Cheers, Rob.

I too have turned off all AA since moving to 4K

Just a little vibrating of the solid white lines of runways is all I notice

Cheers, Rob.

I too have turned off all AA since moving to 4K

Just a little vibrating of the solid white lines of runways is all I notice

Thinking out loud here... Wouldn't running DSR 4x with no SGSSAA the equivalent of having a 4K monitor? I know it's not as sharp due to the DSR upsampling/downsampling, but in theory, it would be the same?

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz