Sign in to follow this  
briansommers

odd pitch on landing

I noticed that it tends to nose down really far but still remain level.

I added 

lift scaler  0.5

pitch scaler 1,0

drag scaler 10.0

to the flap.0 section

I think I made it better, but not sure, it seems a little flatter.

does anyone else have any adjustments?  anyone else noticing this.

I have sp1 and Bert's after sp1 patches

Ciao!

Make sure you are at or very close to Vapp, especially on flaps 40.  See this thread...

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/453515-approach-and-landing/

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I found PC12 extremely nose heavy on landing too. Last night I was landing on CZNL which unfortunately has those oversized trees and autogens on each end of runway. It's just impossible to do a steep descent after over these trees and house and to land on the runway not on the nose gear first.

I do full flap b/c CZNL runway is very short (3000 feet?), but that basically forces me to nose dive on the runway and bounce. Very unsatisfying experiences... 

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

Hi Brian, as a long-time user of Flight1's PC-12 I had followed this forum since the Carenado PC-12 became available. As a RW pilot on small single-engine airplanes (Piper Cherokee and Archer) and frequent visitor of the Pilatus works in Stans I had many chances to watch the PC-12 taking off and landing. Yes, I can confirm that the PC-12 can land impressively steep and nose-down during approach. However, after purchasing Carenado's PC-12 as well I think Carenado has somewhat overdone it with the nose-down attitude. I tried the same approach as you: adding parameters for lift, drag and pitch to the flap settings in the aircraft.cfg. Some time ago I had modified those parameters on Carenado's CT210M already (http://forum.avsim.net/topic/378419-c210-does-a-real-210-land-like-this/page-5), which led to a much more realistic flying experience with that airplane (still one of my favorite GA airplanes in FSX). Unlike you I added quite modest modifications:

lift_scalar = 0.7

drag_scalar = 1.9

pitch_scalar = 0.8

Further fine-tuning (would require more precise knowledge of the real aircraft) could be done by adding those mods to each flap setting separately. But with the above mentioned settings my approaches are definitely more managable and look more realistic with each possible flap setting. Give it a try!

Felix

Thanks, You are the guy I was looking for. I have your mods for the 210, that did help it a lot!

I'll try these and see how it goes.

Ciao!

Hi Brian, as a long-time user of Flight1's PC-12 I had followed this forum since the Carenado PC-12 became available. As a RW pilot on small single-engine airplanes (Piper Cherokee and Archer) and frequent visitor of the Pilatus works in Stans I had many chances to watch the PC-12 taking off and landing. Yes, I can confirm that the PC-12 can land impressively steep and nose-down during approach. However, after purchasing Carenado's PC-12 as well I think Carenado has somewhat overdone it with the nose-down attitude. I tried the same approach as you: adding parameters for lift, drag and pitch to the flap settings in the aircraft.cfg. Some time ago I had modified those parameters on Carenado's CT210M already (http://forum.avsim.net/topic/378419-c210-does-a-real-210-land-like-this/page-5), which led to a much more realistic flying experience with that airplane (still one of my favorite GA airplanes in FSX). Unlike you I added quite modest modifications:

lift_scalar = 0.7

drag_scalar = 1.9

pitch_scalar = 0.8

Further fine-tuning (would require more precise knowledge of the real aircraft) could be done by adding those mods to each flap setting separately. But with the above mentioned settings my approaches are definitely more managable and look more realistic with each possible flap setting. Give it a try!

I have to say that, watching a RW landing with 40 flaps from in the cockpit, it didn't look strange at all to me but, trying to do it with Carenado's bird, it feels very odd.  It can be done but....just doesn't seem the same.  I'll try your settings out (thanks for posting them).  I do wonder if the flaps 40 settings are the real issue.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

I have no time on the real world PC-12. I did fly the Flight1 PC-12 for hundreds of hours though.

The carenado is very nose down, I am used to it now. Approaching the runway at about 500 feet I pull back on power, raise the nose, trim nose up, and get a nice stable flair going with decreasing airspeed. I do almost perfect landings now.

is it realistic? I have no idea! I will try these settings Felix gave and report back. I have this dvd and I will pay attention to the angles as much as I can to check.

http://www.flightvideoproductions.com/pilatus.htm

I highly recommend it, it's well done. The pilot reminds me of the old ww2 and Vietnam vets where he likes to keep the throttle full on climb, and full flaps on landing even though the pilatus is light, just like they must have done in the war. To get up and down fast.

Any tweaks to make this more realistic is great, the PC-12 is by far my most favorite airplane. I can fly from Orbx KJAC or KBZN to Orbx KMRY in 2 hours. Even going against the strong trade winds. And then I can hop into a small private strip in Oregon like Orbx OG39. Love this airplane!

If I'm reading that right I just add these 3 lines in the flaps.0 section?

lift_scalar = 0.7

drag_scalar = 1.9

pitch_scalar = 0.8

I highly recommend it, it's well done. The pilot reminds me of the old ww2 and Vietnam vets where he likes to keep the throttle full on climb, and full flaps on landing even though the pilatus is light, just like they must have done in the war. To get up and down fast.

Yeah, that's the flaps 40 landing I was talking about.  Doesn't look like anything special...just an ordinary landing...much different than this aircraft...which surprises me since the FDE was probably done by Bernt Stolle.  Yeah, you'd replace the existing lines under flaps with those.  Haven't tried them out yet.

Gregg Seipp

That did it! Those three lines fixed my wierd nose down issues.

I could come in flaps 40 and see where i was going, it flattens it out nicely

Ciao!

That did it! Those three lines fixed my wierd nose down issues.

I could come in flaps 40 and see where i was going, it flattens it out nicely

Thanks for your feedback, Brian. I also enjoy flying this bird very much. And Bert's tweaks contribute a lot to this addon's immersion. Thanks, Bert!

One additonal note: Carenado forgot the "-" in the call sign of the Swiss livery. Correct read: HB-xxx. But you can easily add it in the aircraft selection window of FSX.

Felix

I did not have those lines in my flaps.0 section. So I added them. But after I loaded fsx and quit, the lines changed to all =0

I wonder what happened. Will double check on exit now if they reset again.

Old thread but...

Having had experience in regard to modifying pitch on approach, I'm not sure why you guys are changing anything other than the lift_scalar.

Also, I did some research a while back, as I wasn't happy with the F1 version. Two real world PC-12 pilots said this. Pilot 1 said that on a three degree glideslope, at full flaps, at Vref, the aircraft is 3 degrees down. Pilot 2 said, 2.5 degrees down.

In addition, the excellent PC-12 video by Flight Video Productions, has a great view of the instruments on approach, the pitch down was 2.5 degrees.

I've just bought the Carenado version, about to make a test flight.