Sign in to follow this  
diogo180794

New Hardware but still low performance on FSX

Hi guys, I've made an upgrade to my pc and in FSX I still get like 30fps sometimes 15-20fps. Is that normal? My current rig now is:

Intel i7 4790K @4,0GHZ

NVIDIA Geforce GTX 770 4GB

8GB RAM

I don't understand why I get such low FPS with this rig... Can anyone give me a hand?

Thx

That is normal, depending on what and where you fly.

..and what settings you choose in fsx.

Bert

That is normal, depending on what and where you fly.

..and what settings you choose in fsx.

Thank you for your reply. Is there anyway you can help me choose the best settings in order to take the best of FSX? Ty

Hi guys, I've made an upgrade to my pc and in FSX I still get like 30fps sometimes 15-20fps. Is that normal? My current rig now is:

Intel i7 4790K @4,0GHZ

8GB RAM

I don't understand why I get such low FPS with this rig... Can anyone give me a hand?

Thx

Going to need a lot more info like what planes you're flying, scenery addons, settings, etc.  I'm running a 4790K @ 4.4 with a GTX 780.  With sim settings that give me 25-30fps in heavy areas like KLAX and KSEA using ORBX PNW and ORBX Global + Vector I can go to map view and drag the plane over to the middle of nowhere in the midwest and have 150+ fps.  So knowing where you're seeing these fps is really important as well.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

Going to need a lot more info like what planes you're flying, scenery addons, settings, etc.  I'm running a 4790K @ 4.4 with a GTX 780.  With sim settings that give me 25-30fps in heavy areas like KLAX and KSEA using ORBX PNW and ORBX Global + Vector I can go to map view and drag the plane over to the middle of nowhere in the midwest and have 150+ fps.  So knowing where you're seeing these fps is really important as well.

You're right! I have REX Overdrive, FTX Global + Vector by ORBX and where I use to see this FPS so low is on Airports from Aerosoft like Mega Airport Lisbon and TNCM from FlyTampa for example... Is there any way to tweak this? Because I see so many videos on youtube from people that have the same rig as me and the games runs smooth.

Ty

EDIT: I use to fly A319,20,21 from project airbus

You're right! I have REX Overdrive, FTX Global + Vector by ORBX and where I use to see this FPS so low is on Airports from Aerosoft like Mega Airport Lisbon and TNCM from FlyTampa for example... Is there any way to tweak this? Because I see so many videos on youtube from people that have the same rig as me and the games runs smooth.

Ty

EDIT: I use to fly A319,20,21 from project airbus

I actually have most of the graphics options in the tab that has things like Autogen either maxed or nearly maxed.  The only thing that's not is I run Autogen at normal or Dense depending on where I'm flying (you can save your settings and load them pretty quickly even mid-flight, I have multiple configs saved).  The other thing is the traffic page.  I have road vehicles at like 5% just to see a few.  Then I set GA or airliners traffic to 30% and the other to 0 depending on if I'm flying big iron or GA aircraft.  Traffic and autogen are probably the big killers.  Oh water is 2.x low but I may experiment with 2.x medium.  I just built the system last month and while my main tweaking is done, I'm still doing fine tuning to see what I can really get away with.

What if any tweaks have you done to the fsx.cfg file?  I personally found affinity mask to be pointless on the 4790K.  At least under Win8.1 I seem to get better performance letting Windows manage what FSX processes go where.  Are you locking your fps in the sim?  Either way, you may need to tweak your setting back a bit in big city areas that you're also running those addon airports at.  I don't have any of those so I really have no idea what if any impact they have on performance.  As far as the videos you're seeing, I've never made any myself but have read there are tricks to get the videos to look smooth even though the actual in sim experience would not be at the settings shown in the videos.

edit: Forgot to mention, you should look into overclocking your 4790K to 4.4Ghz.  Should be pretty easy to do if you're not running a stock heatsink.  The chip is supposed to boost to 4.4 anyway when only one core is in use.  There is a noticeable gain with just that 400mhz boost.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

Visit simforums nick N is a guru follow ALL his guides and you'll get good performance like me ;) i have the same setup except i have 4770k at 40ghz GTX 780. My system is clear and smooth.

Vernon Howells

Interesting (and revealing) to read again and again that folks with new high end machines get low FPS inside FSX like they would get with older mid or lower end PCs.

IMO the two main reasons:

- FSX is incapable to benefit from the new hardware's possibilities

- tweaking of the default FSX.cfg file is mandatory

My way of dealing with it (with my mid end machine) is to try to keep everything running at or slightly below 20FPS:

FSX cfg tweaks:

- High Mem Fix On

- Bufferpools off (results in ZERO CTDs for me. FSX default/odd active BPs caused CTDs in average every 40hrs)

- Frame limit off (external limiting by Nvidia hardware)

- Fiber Frame Time Fraction 0.15 (less CPU time/allocation for texture handling, but with fast CPUs enough for good results)

- Texture Bandwidth Multiplier 0.15 (low GPU stream bandwidth keeper for headroom reservation in high demand situations ("anti stutter")

Nvidia inspector setting:

Vertical Sync 1/3 refresh rate (1/3 of 60Hz=20FPS)

I hope this helps.

BTW: aiming for more than 30 FPS may result in stutters (the fluctuation of FPS) even with a "highest" end machine

(I am talking about complex scenarios with complex A/Cs)

Interesting (and revealing) to read again and again that folks with new high end machines get low FPS inside FSX like they would get with older mid or lower end PCs.

Well, I don't know about others, but the reasons I get lower fps in those high impact areas like KSEA with the NGX for example is because even though I have new hardware I've pushed the settings up to higher levels than the old system.  If I set the new system to have the same settings as the old the difference would be very noticeable.  Actually I really couldn't even use the NGX into KSEA with ORBX PNW or once I got ORBX NorCal most of that as well on my old system.  

Between the low fps with it and the blurries because my old system couldn't load the high detail textures and autogen fast enough while trying to run the NGX as well I gave up trying to fly it to those areas.  The new system has no problem with that and allows higher settings than what I used in areas that I could use the NGX while also giving me about 50-75% more fps at places like KSEA.  The old system was definitely low end though.  i7-860 OC'd to run around 3.7Ghz while flightsim was running and a GTX560 Ti.

Make sure stuff like self shadowing and bloom is off unless flying DX10.

Run minimal AI traffic.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

After 20 years learning, and after all the mod's and FSX tweaks the idea of loading up FSX with a lot of add-on's creates poor FPS. Bottom line only add-on the basic stuff you need. I see a lot of people have 500MB to a Gig of files in their fsx directory. this = bad even if you have a SSD drive. You don't have to be a programmer to realize that FSX struggles with the way to complies the simulation during the game.. This is the main reason all of us want a 64 bit platform sim.

Read Kostas FSX manual, keeps add-ons to a min. AI traffic to a min as well. I have a 3790x Intel chip and I still struggle with FPS. Network your WEATHER, ATC and EFB on another machine to help take the load off the CPU. remember using HD textures in FSX environment takes FPS hits as well...  Oh if you have the knowledge and put a good water cooler system in your machine. You might overclock your baby to 5.0ghz, you will see a lot of gain, but I don't advise that in less you know what you are doing.

Oh, forget using directx 10. its buggy period.... oh, the Nvidia tweaks are a must, search the Avsim forums about what the PMDG folks have to say about the Nvidia settings they have it down to a art.

Hope that helps as well...

Quote from OP: "Because I see so many videos on youtube from people that have the same rig as me and the games runs smooth."

These vids are edited, it´s not in game FSX you see!

Intel i7 4790K @4,0GHZ

8GB RAM

Thx

I have almost exactly the same rig, same overclock, though, I have 16 Gig memory.  (I don't fly the airbus).  My frames in average weather are at least double that.  My scenery sliders are one notch from max (they'd be max if I didn't get occassional VAS issues).  One thing I'd start with is to restart aero.  I got this from Word Not Allowed, I think.  Make a batch file out of this...

net stop uxsms
sleep 2
net start uxsms

Start FSX and wait till it's up and running.  Then run that batch file.   On my rig, my frames go up substantially.  I agree with other folks about taking Word Not Allowed's advice for tuning.  I don't have a lot of tweaks in my fsx.cfg.  Ground shadows are off.

Good luck!
Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I don't understand

At the risk of starting another flame war ... you apparently enjoy flying tubes into Mega airports in heavy weather with AI turned up, as well as everything else, and without OOM's.  FSX doesn't cope. Period. Even at 20fps.  Lots of pretenders out there. Wishes and hopers.  Apologists.  Commercial interests too.

Neither does P3D.  Can't comment on X-Plane since I don't own it.

Truth is only the venerable FS9.1 allows you to max everything,  run whatever add-ons take your fancy,  whatever real weather exists and give you a reliable 60fps (or above.)  Probably not palatable but it is the truth.  

You decide what's important to you.  

Me ... I fly tubes in FS9 and GA (lower and slower) in P3D,  because I refuse to compromise.

But FS9 cockpits look terrible compared to FSX cockpits... it is all a trade off.

Bert