Sign in to follow this  
rncotrim

Microsoft Flight Simulator museun

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is any museum in the world dedicated to Microsoft Flight Simulator? I have a lot of software (some in diskettes) since the beginning of the saga (Apollo, etc) boxes and wanted to give this software for reasons of space.

Any idea? I'm willing to give everything to a place where he could be useful for lovers of Flight Simulator.

Awaiting news

Ricardo Nuno Cotrim

Ricardo Nuno Cotrim

Your posting in it.  Another one is call Flightsim.com. 

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Um, Dillon just when did AVSIM become a "museum?"

I'll grant you that there are more than a few "Dinosauars " here, but still...

we're not in a museum! :LMAO:

I'm not aware of any museum specifically dedicated to "Flight Simulation" but I should think nearly any aviation museum would be interested.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

we're not in a museum! :LMAO:

Bill, when you have archive files going back pre-2000 for sims like FS2000 and the original Fly simulation that's living history concerning our hobby.  The wealth of knowledge we have in the forums and product reviews going back pre 2002 is another example.  No Avsim may not be a museum in the traditional since of the word, it is an archive and a historical living record of this hobby for the last 15 years just the same.  You can browse this site (especially in the context of product reviews) and come away with a good representation of where we've been and the evolution of the hobby over the years.  Just like one can do at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago minus the physical models sitting around we can read reviews on add-ons for sims like FS98 that no longer work in our current environment today on hardware long gone, we can read people's comments years ago about various events, places, and/or products (9/11, Katrina, MH370, Reno Air Race disaster, and various versions of Windows OS's over the years). We can learn about Papa Tango and Microsoft's interaction with this community in years gone by.  That's the very definition of what I would find in a Museum.  Here's another example of a historical record of our hobby only found on one of our sites:

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?1858-Do-You-Remember-A-Pictorial-Flightsim-History

Yes we have active Flightsim sites but just the same they are historical archives of our hobby and in essence virtual Museums of sorts.

FS2020 

I'm only aware of virtual museums like this one:

http://fshistory.simflight.com/

I wouldn't mind the 'dinosaurs' here on AVSIM but 'Neanderthal men' would be just too much!   :lol:

That's the site I was looking for but couldn't find.  I settled for what I posted above.

FS2020 

Dillon, not disagreeing about the history archived here at all. Just pointing out that the OP has  physical historical assets he wishes to donate to a real, brick-and-mortar museum... :Applause:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

On a sort of related note, I remember when I was young and I wanted to donate my extensive collection of plastic model aircraft to a museum.   Where any of you all into that thing?  The plastic kits sold in hobby shops where you pried of the parts, glued them together, and painted/applied decals per printed instructions?  

I ultimately threw them in the trash when I went to college, but I even had a dream a few years back where I enjoyed seeing them "living on" in a warehouse with other discarded models from like minded individuals.  I had so much pride in my work when I was obsessed with the hobby in grade school, I regret that there is no such thing where I could donate these fine works of arts for the benefit of fellow hobbyists.  I had a wide variety of models, it's where I discovered my intense obsession with airliners which was where I focused most of my attention in the later years, but I was very open minded in what I chose to build back then.  Everything from the usual F-16 and 747 to oddities like the T-37 Dragonfly, SR-71, and even WWII craft like the P51 Mustang and F-111.  I think my prized work was an AC-130 gunship from the Vietnam era. 

I remember as a kid when I visited my older cousin and saw his old models just sitting in his parent's basement crawlspace all dusty and broken, and swearing that my collection would never suffer a similar fate.  But alas, they are probably disintegrated in some landfill somewhere for decades since I got rid of them.   Kind of makes me appreciate the real aircraft boneyards in the United States desert.

Can't say I have any ideas about the software, but I am certain that any aviation museum would be happy to accept well constructed and painted static and RC models that are in good condition for their displays. I see them all the time in the aviation museums I visit. They usually add a little note or plaque in the case to recognize who donated the models.

On a sort of related note, I remember when I was young and I wanted to donate my extensive collection of plastic model aircraft to a museum.   Where any of you all into that thing?  The plastic kits sold in hobby shops where you pried of the parts, glued them together, and painted/applied decals per printed instructions? 

I had one, a Boeing 747-400, painted in the original Air Kevin colors (go figure). It's still sitting around on a shelf somewhere. Wanted to get a new one to paint in the current livery, but to this day, still haven't found the time to do that....

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.