Sign in to follow this  
Slick9

Weather radar manual mode...

I've seen several 777 radar models that depict an "Auto" button for toggling between manual and auto mode.  How do we toggle between the two modes on the model in the PMDG 777? I've been looking through the FCOMs and even the Rockwell Collins WXR-2100 manual for what I know is a dumb question, but i cannot find an answer.  Thnx

Richard

I'm on the road and operating from memory, I didnt rember seeing an "AUTO" button, I thought the middle buttons were LR/T RR/T and TEST. The mistake I made was getting the WXR-2100 manual, there are a few different variations of radar controls and I can't remember which one PMDG modeled. But based on your answer TCAS - it would seem they modeled the one with the middle buttons AUTO L/RT and TEST. Thnx for the quick response - on the road and missing my 777.

Richard

I didnt rember seeing an "AUTO" button

There's an AUTO button (not sure where you're getting LR/T and RR/T, but one of those in your memory needs to change to AUTO  :wink:) :

NewRadarControlPanel.jpg

Kyle Rodgers

Doesn't seem like a 777 with 4 cutoff switches

Kinda besides the point, the focus is on the weather radar control panel which is similar to the one in the 777

Doesn't seem like a 777 with 4 cutoff switches

Kinda besides the point, the focus is on the weather radar control panel which is similar to the one in the 777

Exact same one.

Another simsim, by the way. Airplanes are a lot more like cars than people think (options, modules across aircraft platforms, etc.), and the industry would be DEAD if everything were purpose-built for each aircraft.

Similar concept:

Those full-nacelle engines hanging on the bottom of the A320 wing? Those are on the MD-90-30, too. If the discussion was about the the IAE V2500 on the 320, but I posted a pic of it on the 90-30 to describe the engine, I'd expect people to be able to pick up on it and realize, "oh hey...it's the same thing!"

Those audio control panels in the 744 and 777 look mighty similar, too.

...it's because they're the same panels, that behave in the exact same way  :wink:

Kyle Rodgers

kyle, that is what threw me for a loop, I had no idea airplanes came with so many different options.

Richard

I thought it was different too, sorry my bad.. :wacko:

Nothin to be sorry about, really. Common misconception. Have a look at all of the screws all over the panels. Each one of those segments is a module that someone like Honeywell, or Collins, or Avidyne, or Garmin - and so on - make and sell to the manufacturer. If you have a look in the FCOMs you'll see that there is an array of transponders that could be equipped in the 777 - PMDG modeled only one of them.

The whole flight deck is just a whole bunch of those modules mounted together to get the interface that the airline wants. A better example might be showing and hiding the NGX's HGS, or changing the MCP.

The G1000 in the C172 is the same G1000 in the DA40 (though they do run slightly different software, which is why you see type-specific manuals out there). It's in the interest of the aircraft builder to use common panels not only for pilot familiarity, but also to keep costs down. If I use existing hardware, then I don't need to commission a new unit, which is a cost savings I could pass to the buyer to keep my plane cost-competitive.

kyle, that is what threw me for a loop, I had no idea airplanes came with so many different options.

Yeah. I used to think that they all came from the manufacturer as one, unchangeable unit, too.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks Kyle, makes sense. Weather radars, after all, do have the same function regardless of the airframe I guess.

Weather radars, after all, do have the same function regardless of the airframe I guess.

Exactly.

I kinda wish the planes I flew had them. I'm either stuck with NEXRAD uploads via XM (which lag somewhere about 8min behind actual), or STORMSCOPE (which is pretty much a lightning finder, which doesn't do me much good other than "there's a storm around here somewhere").

Kyle Rodgers