Sign in to follow this  
oscarduran10

are my fps normal?

I bought northern California from orbx and in big cities in the bay area with add on aircraft from qualitywings and alabeo, my fps drop from 30 locked to fluctuating from 20-24. is this normal?. this doesn't happen in regular ftx global big cities. my 4790k is overclocked to 4.5ghz at 1.325, I got a gtx 660, no cfg tweaks and NVidia inspector set at the recommended settings. my autogen is at extremely dense/dense. all traffic 16. water low2x. that's pretty much it. let me know your opinions and any tweaks you think I need

You forgot to say which sim.  The FPS sounds *plausible*...I've heard some similar reports from others (but I don't know what their settings were.)

Gregg

EDIT:  Oh...and welcome!

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I bought northern California from orbx and in big cities in the bay area with add on aircraft from qualitywings and alabeo, my fps drop from 30 locked to fluctuating from 20-24. is this normal?. this doesn't happen in regular ftx global big cities. my 4790k is overclocked to 4.5ghz at 1.325, I got a gtx 660, no cfg tweaks and NVidia inspector set at the recommended settings. my autogen is at extremely dense/dense. all traffic 16. water low2x. that's pretty much it. let me know your opinions and any tweaks you think I need

With that level of autogen and the more detailed addon aircraft, yep that sounds about right for that area of Norcal.  I bet you get the same thing down around KLAX if you have Global and Global Vector.  I'm running a 4790K @ 4.4 OC (for now) and a 780.  I usually run around 4.5 LOD and normal AG settings in those areas.  Remember, the suggested settings for autogen in the ORBX manuals are NOT based on using it with high powered aircraft addons but small default GA aircraft and maybe FPS friendly GA addons.  

You can't have high settings and a high powered (detailed) aircraft at the same time in a dense city/urban area like that with the ORBX regions and in some cases the Global product(s) as well.  What can help in those areas in unlocking your fps (having it 1/2 refresh rate vsync'd to 30 for instance though).  You'll still have to watch out though because you might get some scenery tiles that take a few seconds to pop into clarity and look blurry until they do.  Especially if you've lowered your FFTF setting in the fsx.cfg file (if you don't know what FFTF is then don't worry about it in this case) or if you're flying low and fast (like an airliner just after takeoff).

edit:  Oh and your OC voltage looks very very high.  Is that being automatically set or did you set it yourself?  Mine is running 4.4 with an auto set voltage of 1.18 and could probably go lower if I did it manually.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

I can raise the clock to 4.6 at that voltage but the fps dont change so i left it at 4.5. Yes i manually set that cuz i heard too little voltage will make the fps drop

I can raise the clock to 4.6 at that voltage but the fps dont change so i left it at 4.5. Yes i manually set that cuz i heard too little voltage will make the fps drop

What?  That advice is way off.  Too little voltage may give a blue screen in windows or some other system instability but it won't affect anything in your software at all as far as performance things like fps go.  Too much voltage can also give instability due to excess heat and worst case will fry your CPU.  I would give 1.2v a try and see how your stability is.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

You'll get better fps and smoothness if you lower your AG/SC sliders.  You're running extremely high considering all the add ons you're using.

Did you try any other planes?  Which QW jet are you flying? 

The QW 757 hits my system almost as hard as the NGX for some reason.  There are other people who reported this as well.

no offense but how is dense autogen and 16 traffic to high

Because ORBX regions are high res textures with much denser/complex autogen than default FSX.  You can't run them at the same settings as default textures FSX.  If you had no ORBX textures you'd have no problem pretty much maxing everything.  

Agree with Charles (flyinion). Autogen is the biggest framerate killer in FSX. It's not so bad in P3D anymore as Lockheed optimized all of the default Autogen but you still have to work with addons like Orbx. Orbx has guidelines in each of their manuals. This is all in the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide located to the right of this forum under Hot Spots.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Respectfully, I'm afraid you are wrong. This was found in the Lockheed Martin P3DV2 which is almost exactly the same as FSX. Fortunately we had the developers available to fix the problem but individuals were getting OOM's with Autogen maxed with default scenery. It would OOM even faster and within an hour by accelerating the flight time by 4 times. Commercial scenery would make it even faster. Lockheed techs were able to optimize all of the Autogen and the crashes went away but it still did not completely eliminate the problem as 32 bit applications can only use 4GB's of virtual address space (VAS) and, when that is gone you will see fps going down and lots of stuttering, the blurries, until it finally crashes. It has always been a well-known fact that Autogen is a frame rate killer. You will, of course, have awesome fps whenever you first start up FSX. That's because you have tons (about 3GB's) of virtual address space at startup. But it will deplete fast depending on your Autogen settings (and eye-candy type commercial scenery). So, for short and less than an hour flights, you should have no problems. Anything above an hour and your flightsim will begin to slow down.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

respectfully how can u tell me I am wrong when I tested all different autogen levels and the fps stayed the same in all of them lol I don't get it. regardless of tests I know wat I saw

Well, then you are right.  I'm wrong.  What gets me is your OP says your fps dropped from 30 to 20-24 fps.  I'm confused.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

High, I am new here but not to FSX.  Most addons can cause issues with FPS. Since this post is before the release of the Steam Edition I will assume you are using the boxed edition and hopfully with acceleration which includes both service packs 1 and 2.  There may be some changes  done within your config folder as well as your graphic settings may need some tweaking. 

I am using a new home made system with an 8 core 3.5 Gig processor / 8 gigs of high performance DDR3 Ram/ 2 nice graphic cards working in fire wire etc... and windows 7 OEM service pack 1

It took me about 2 weeks to get the program running the way I wanted. It required a lot of study and hair pulling but I am addicted to flight sim. I have state after state of of scenery from Mega Scenery and Blue sky  as well as loads of aircraft both free and not free. I have some Orbix too.  The bottom line is you have to configure program to run well with your system. There will still be some frame issues with addons but if you can tweak FSX to run at its best you can run 30fps in dense areas. FSX is a processor heavy program so any tweaks you can do to share the load with your graphic cards and RAM to take the load off your CPU will help loads! 

Most of my information came from Youtube and some other forums.