Hi guys

I am running an i5-3570K CPU o/c to 4.2GHz. My video card is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti. I am considering updating my video card, either to a GTX 760 or 770, or possibly to a GTX 970 if funds allow me to (I have read good reports about this card).

I mainly fly with FSX and sometimes P3D.  Would upgrading my card to any of these be beneficial to me? I realise that my FPS would not go up by much, I was just hoping that things would be smoother. I also realise that P3D would benefit from an upgrade.

Would any of these cards improve my flying experience? Obviously the more expensive the card, the better the experience.

I appreciate any replies.

Thanks

John

I have a 970.

Despite 4096 textures everywhere, 4x DSR and as many visual effects as I can throw at it, I've yet to exceed 66% usage, even at complicated airports and in heavy weather.

This is in DX10, I'm never going back to DX9.

sounds good,never thought of a 970 as I have the 580 but probably upgrade next year.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

My 560 TI has served me well and I'd like to move on to 970. But with a i7 200K processor, I just wonder if it's worth sinking another $300 into an older system.

-- tazz

My 560 TI has served me well and I'd like to move on to 970. But with a i7 200K processor, I just wonder if it's worth sinking another $300 into an older system.

I am somewhat in the same boat as you.  I have a 560Ti too.  I'm planning a full system upgrade early 2015 but wonder if getting just a 970 now would be the way to go.  I guess it would work in my current system(i5 2500k) but obviously wouldn't get the full advantage of PCI-x3 or whatever it is called.  So I hate to get the card and install it in the current setup and then take it out and move it into the new system in 3-6 months.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

McGraw,

I use DX10 Fixer as well. Would you mind posting your settings? Are you using Nvidia Inspector ? Thanks,

I'll try to look this weekend but if I forget, I can pretty much say I changed nothing in DX10 so no AA or anything...just vanilla.

I run DSR 4x at 20% smoothing.

For NI I used the settings on the Mutley's Hangar review of the fixer but minus any AA.

I have no idea whether those settings are particularly current but I'm actually shocked at how well my rig runs now. Super smooth and not too far off 30fps even on the ground.

DX9 was nasty by comparison.. Constant tiny stutters regardless of settings (they started when mesh details got increased) and lower frames. I was actually reasonably ok with it with bufferpools=0 but now I realise how bad it was and I don't need BP tweak in DX10.

Rest of my spec is a 4790k at 4.5 and 16gb of 2400hz c11 from a single SSD. I have FS Global running off a USB 3 hard drive.

OK thanks, I will give it a try.  I am still a bit confused on the use of Inspector, some say you need to reset it to default and use the Nvidia settings, others like yourself can get DSR to work without changing anything on NI.  I guess I will have to play around with it.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

As far as I understand, NVI just overrides (if you want it to) the NV cp settings.

As there are no DSR settings in NVI there is nothing to override.

I think you can add extra AA to DSR but I haven't tried and don't really see the point...although saying that I think SGSS 2x in DX9 seemed a bit crisper but I could be wrong and I doubt there will be much in it.

Knowing me I am bound to try it though!

I just got the GTX970 yesterday.  Still setting it up but looks great so far.

My system is similar to yours..

How big a performance increase did you see?

I would expect an bottleneck in either the CPU or chipset

My system is similar to yours..

How big a performance increase did you see?

I would expect an bottleneck in either the CPU or chipset

As with everything in flight sim, there is no magic bullet.  If I really push the settings, my frame rates are low (17 to 20) at heavy airport scenery like FSDT Vancouver in the 777 or NGX.  If I back off a bit, I am getting a nice jump into high twenties on the ground at up to my frame rate lock (1/2 refresh rate) in the air.  Image Quality is fantastic, very sharp, very slight shimmering and smooth.  This is a significant improvement over the old card.

Note that I am using my normal DX10 Nvidia Settings.  I changed the bufferpools to 0 and have not seen any issues....maybe a very slight stutter when I whirl around in spot view.

I tried DSR and did notice a nice image but not as good as above.  Still had shimmering and even more of it than above.  Yes I had higher frames iwth DSR but that was probably just because I had lowered my AA settings.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

As with everything in flight sim, there is no magic bullet. If I really push the settings, my frame rates are low (17 to 20) at heavy airport scenery like FSDT Vancouver in the 777 or NGX. If I back off a bit, I am getting a nice jump into high twenties on the ground at up to my frame rate lock (1/2 refresh rate) in the air. Image Quality is fantastic, very sharp, very slight shimmering and smooth. This is a significant improvement over the old card.

Note that I am using my normal DX10 Nvidia Settings. I changed the bufferpools to 0 and have not seen any issues....maybe a very slight stutter when I whirl around in spot view.

I tried DSR and did notice a nice image but not as good as above. Still had shimmering and even more of it than above. Yes I had higher frames iwth DSR but that was probably just because I had lowered my AA settings.

Hmmm would have expected higher..

What clock is your cpu running?