Sign in to follow this  
SPowell42

Will global vector EVER get beaches on the Outer Banks?

Hi, I'd like to say that I would really love to purchase ftx global and ftx global vector. However, I like to fly mostly along the Outer Banks, and the vector product there has been completely hosed up since it first came out (a year ago now?) I'm so glad I actually asked a few buyers of it to post screenshots before taking the plunge myself. Along the Outer Banks, which if you aren't familiar with the area is over 70 miles of beautiful beach along the coast, there isn't a lick of sand in global vector.

I was very hopeful that since this huge, 10 month in the making vector 1.2 patch came out focusing on "Complete new coastlines, lakes and rivers for the US", that this would finally get fixed. Bug first noted in December of last year. But alas, more posted screenshots and still there isn't a lick of sand to be seen anywhere. I should have been suspicious when a bunch of people asked for screenshots from the developer, who promised them and then, strangely enough, end up posting screenshots of everywhere except the Outer Banks...

I'm really trying to move off of FSX and over to Prepar3d, but in FSX my UTX from 8+ years ago has beaches.

Sorry, bit frustrated. Does anyone have any insight into if this will get fixed? So glad now I didn't buy the product and wait for a fix, 'cause I'll still be waiting, almost a year later. Not like the Outer Banks is the birthplace of aviation or anything. Oh wait...

:(

Thx,

Scott

Good question.  I've been flying over eastern Long Island recently and there isn't a grain of sand to be found.  It's all lawns and trees right down to the ocean.

Maybe the landclass product, when it arrives, will be the answer?

You really should point this out over at ORBX as they encourage feedback on specific errors like this. On the other hand it might get you banned for life as well  :P

ZORAN

Well the good news is I finally saw a post on the Orbx forum where Bernd indicated that the new data for US didn't include beaches (???) The bad news is - I did open a post on this on the Orbx vector support forums, in December 2013. Seeing it's been almost a year, guess I'm not holding my breath.

Scott

Bernd does say:

The beaches will be one of the major things I'm going to address in the next update for VECTOR. 

So maybe that's something.

He also suggests reverting to 1.15 as a near-term way of getting the old beaches back.

Which, by the way, helps convince me that there were in fact beaches in 1.15, and I wasn't just imagining them.  You can laugh (I did), but I'd been wondering if they'd been gone the whole time and I just hadn't noticed.

If they don't turn up soon, I guess UTX 2.0 is always an option.

Perhaps beach data (or the lack of) is region specific?  During a pause in my London-Melbourne flight, where I didn't have enough time to fly a leg, I took the MF 407 out for a tour along the beaches of one of the Indonesian islands my saved flight was at.  Had a blast flying along at 50 feet asl.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Perhaps beach data (or the lack of) is region specific? 

I think you're right.  There seem to be some problems in North America - definitely on the US East Coast, which unfortunately is where I do a lot of flying.  Sounds like Asia is fine.  I haven't flown in Europe recently but should probably try that.  If it's North America only (or parts thereof) that suggests there's probably an issue with the new data or the way Vector handles it.  If so, I hope it's easily fixable - I'd be much happier with a fix - I really like Vector apart from this.  For the time being I'll try to imagine beaches, or fly inland for a while, and see how quickly they can get an update taken care of.

UTX is slated to have it's own update very soon. Consider that.

I hadn't flown in coastal areas in quite some time, and when I did, it was always in full regions.  I had also stayed away from installing FTX Vector for quite awhile since I'd heard the roads and water data in Canada were quite lacking previous to 1.20.

However, I installed it for this race, so that I'd have accurate coastal data to be able to help with dead reckoning.  And I can honestly say that Vector+Global+a decent mesh looks really really good in a lot of areas where I don't regularly fly.  The number of times I've flown outside of NA in the sim has been pretty few, but I do believe I'll explore the world a bit more now since it looks so good.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Hi, I hadn't heard that UTX was going to do an update to allow it to work with Prepar3d. If that's true, I'll definitely stick with it. I see on their website they say "coming soon" or somesuch - any idea on how far away "soon" might be?

Thanks for the heads up!

Scott

Spowell42, I got a promo e-mail about it about a 2 weeks ago.. so it's real soon I assume. Not sure about P3D compatibility, but I would assume it will be. The interesting aspect of this update is the road data is from a major car GPS provider (but forgot who that is, but sure its on the site).. what you would see on the ground will be the real deal.