Sign in to follow this  
klamal

Making the leap...

Kevin - Looks like you are on your way! A couple of suggestions

Reduce the cloud draw distance to 80 in ASN

Reduce cloud layers to 3

Strange as it may seem, set cloud shadows to 80000 - don't know why but it appears the hit on the system is LESS with the higher setting.

Terrain shadows can be a killer.

Enjoy!

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Kevin - Looks like you are on your way! A couple of suggestions

Reduce the cloud draw distance to 80 in ASN

Reduce cloud layers to 3

Strange as it may seem, set cloud shadows to 80000 - don't know why but it appears the hit on the system is LESS with the higher setting.

Terrain shadows can be a killer.

Enjoy!

Vic

Thanks, Vic.  I'll give those settings a shot on the next flight.  I did bump up my cloud shadows(can't remember to what they are at right now but they are higher than my initial post of 10000) and there seems to be no impact that I can tell.  That alone is a huge benefit in making the switch to me.  The weather overall, with the shadows, ASN, in P3D, just seems even more "immersive".  Hard to really describe but it just feels even more real than FSX to me.

I don't have terrain shadows on at all.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

I only have user aircraft and cloud shadows switched on. I don't touch the rest.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Ok, after a couple days now of being in P3D and I can just say that I have absolutely no regrets!!!  This sim is simply beautiful!!  I still am trying to cure a small case of the stutters and I am still messing around with what settings do what to my overall experience and to the stutters/smoothness, but OMG, it is amazing how the lighting, the cloud shadows, the water, etc add to the immersion.

I've been contemplating this switch for a long time.  I remember being on the other side of the fence and seeing the posts about this stuff and the youtube videos saying "yeah, looks nice.  But, really?  Is it really worth it?".  Well, it's one of those things again that until you experience it, you don't know what you're missing.  And, once you do, you'll wonder how you've ever lived without and can never go back to life before.

I know what I'm getting for Xmas...a GTX970.  Can't wait to see what this sim can do w/ a better GPU and ultimately on a complete new system!

Until then though, I was afraid this move would be $$ spent on software I wouldn't be able to use until I did get that new system.  But, my performance is at least as good as FSX, if not better and the visuals/immersion factor that I have gained just blows FSX/DX10 out of the water.  Very glad I had no more patience!  :)

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

Also worth mentioning how easy P3D is to install compared to FSX - the difference is huge

Rich Sennett

Also worth mentioning how easy P3D is to install compared to FSX - the difference is huge

You know, that's been another thing I haven't mentioned in this move...Install was really easy.  Yes.  What's even better, I just imported button and key assignments from FSX too and all my hardware(MS Sidewinder Pro and Saitek yoke/throttles) all just worked.  I was expected some bumps in the road with that too but it's been a breeze.  Everything has just worked.

I still haven't gotten EMT(I know, I know.  What am I waiting for? :)).  So, at the moment, that's my only "hardship" is installing scenery from FSX.  I have a second machine that I have a fake install of FSX on already for making photoreal scenery with the SDK so I've been using that to install my scenery on and then copy over to my P3D machine.  So, it's not been that bad.  But, it's time consuming.  So it's again just a matter of time before I get the tool, I think.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

Your attitude is a big plus too Kevin. A lot of people got P3D and the minute they had any issues would give up. Actually, I was one of those. My first install of P3D was a disaster of my OWN doing. I consider myself pretty computer savvy so when I for P3D I immediately applied all the custom tweaks that I had applied to FSX. WRONG! I got so frustrated with the blurry stutter mess that I deleted it. After reading more and more of the success of others, I tried again only this time, I was patient and took it step by step.

Haven't looked back since!

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

You know, that's been another thing I haven't mentioned in this move...Install was really easy.  Yes.  What's even better, I just imported button and key assignments from FSX too and all my hardware(MS Sidewinder Pro and Saitek yoke/throttles) all just worked.  I was expected some bumps 

Be careful not using the tool as it is doing things your not aware of and manually doing things may mess up your install and you would have to start over - not worth it imo

Rich Sennett

Be careful not using the tool as it is doing things your not aware of and manually doing things may mess up your install and you would have to start over - not worth it imo

Not totally correct IMHO Richard. The tool just automates a process that can be done manually IF one has the skill. Some add-ons are more complex but most can easily be ported over. 

Vic

I've been contemplating this switch for a long time.  I remember being on the other side of the fence and seeing the posts about this stuff and the youtube videos saying "yeah, looks nice.  But, really?  Is it really worth it?".  Well, it's one of those things again that until you experience it, you don't know what you're missing.  And, once you do, you'll wonder how you've ever lived without and can never go back to life before.

This is a very good point.  One really does have to experience the sim.  Pics and videos just cannot capture the immersive sensation.  It is a shame that too many get scared off from trying this platform, but on the bright side every release brings more people to P3D and the more P3D users, the more innovation that can come from third party vendors that can take advantage of the modern tech in P3D.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

On my first night flight in P3D right now and, is that cloud shadows from the full moon?  I know I am at least seeing VC shadows and they are affected by the clouds.  Gorgeous!!!  I don't think that was in FSX/DX10, was it?

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

This is a very good point.  One really does have to experience the sim.  Pics and videos just cannot capture the immersive sensation.  It is a shame that too many get scared off from trying this platform, but on the bright side every release brings more people to P3D and the more P3D users, the more innovation that can come from third party vendors that can take advantage of the modern tech in P3D.

I honestly don't think its immersion thats is putting people off. I don't even think people are being "put off" but are making decisions based on Stability. Compare it to changing jobs, do you leave a long term job that your happy with for a new one in a shiny new building but unknown management ? LOL a lot of us have been suckered into that in real for sure!

$$$ is another big factor . A lot will be lost and a lot will be doubled up on. In my case I would lose F1 products especially the Mustang Citation :wub: .   along with a host of others. So I wait with interest, but certainly not scared, just sensible.

ZORAN

I have also been considering P3D. I am running an I5 760 @2.8. I have a GEForce 550TI @2GB card and 8GB Mem. I was also wondering which license everyone is buying.

For the record, I went ahead and bought the Professional license.

I honestly don't think its immersion thats is putting people off. I don't even think people are being "put off" but are making decisions based on Stability. Compare it to changing jobs, do you leave a long term job that your happy with for a new one in a shiny new building but unknown management ? LOL a lot of us have been suckered into that in real for sure!

$$$ is another big factor . A lot will be lost and a lot will be doubled up on. In my case I would lose F1 products especially the Mustang Citation :wub: .   along with a host of others. So I wait with interest, but certainly not scared, just sensible.

Yep.  These are the main reasons(along with thinking my system couldn't handle it) that I waited so long too.  It is a change.  Though, not as much of one as the alternative would have been(X-Plane).  The $$$ factor, for the most part, is not going to be as big as I had first thought I don't think.  The only I had to buy so far again was FTX Vector(to replace UTX that I had in FSX).

But, your last point, I totally agree with.  I'm in love with the Aerosoft Bus right now so, at the moment, that shock of not having PMDG or my mustang too hasn't hit me yet.  I still have FSX installed though, so if I feel the need to fly one of those planes, I can always go back and do that...for now.  Hopefully somewhere down the road we'll get a new P3D mustang(or similar business jet).

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

I think I just had the most BEAUTIFUL flight ever in a flight sim tonight.

A prelude...I've been messing around with settings and trying different things to see what effects performance on my system and what doesn't.  In another post here on avsim, someone suggested trying sliding autogen/building settings all the to the right saying that will actually help performance.  So, I tried that.  And, while I don't know whether it helped.  It certainly didn't hurt.  I notice no difference whatsoever no matter where I place those sliders.  So, all the right they went and stayed.  I don't think I've ever tried that before, to be honest.  If so, it was a long, long time ago.

So, that being said.  I flew from two Aerosoft airports in Norway - Oslo Gardermoen(ENGM) and Stavenger Sola(ENZV) in their Airbus X A319.  OMG!!!  With the HDR, full autogen, the clouds with the ground shadows on the mountains, FTX's frozen lakes from Vector, no "terrain meshing" or elevation "molding" itself into place and occurring right before your eyes, no autogen popping, REX4 textures, ASN weather.  Unbelievable!!!!  Words cannot do justice to this learning experience.  :wink:   The approach to RWY 11 @ENZV...God, I never had the desire to record videos of flights before but this was the one time where I wish I would have so I could post it up here and others could enjoy and see what I saw.

And, yet another thing...this is all on an i5 2500k, 560Ti 1G system.  There is still more settings I can turn on or bump up when I get a better system as far as the ground shadows and extending LOD and such(of course OOMs will still need to be watched so I'm guessing you can't slide everything right, can you?).

Anyway, I know it's been said in other posts here and elsewhere, but it's nice knowing that better hardware WILL give even better results.  And, it's still a work in progress for Lockheed.  The sim itself is only going to get better itself...including 64-bit???  If we see that, WOW!!!!  Having these intangibles just adds to this whole experience.

For the first time in what, 10 years(since FS2004), I am excited again about releases of flight simulators!!!!  Those were the days when I used to reserve my copy of FS and take the day off on release day just to install and check out the latest version and it's features.  I may have to do that again when we see P3D 2.5 and beyond. :BigGrin:

Well, sorry if this seems to pour it on or something.  I have no connections to Lockheed or P3D at all.  :)  Just had one of those flights where I just felt I had to share.  Thanks for reading.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal