Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

BSODs driving me mad!

Hi Jim,

In recent weeks I've started getting BSODs when running FSX. They're completely random which doesn't help identify the cause.

This is what I've done...

1) Run sfc /scannow. This reports no problems.

2) Run verifier.exe in accordance with the instructions on this site. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/101379-driver-verifier-enable-disable.html

When I bootup I get a BSOD with code c9 and points to gfvknt64.sys as being responsible. BlueScreenView is below.

BSOD.jpg

Right-clicking on this file in windows\system32\drivers states it's been signed by GoFlight. I have recently installed the latest version of their software having scrupulously removed all references and files from its earlier install.

My BSODs only occur when I either run verifier.exe at startup or when I'm running FSX. But in fairness I rarely use the PC for anything else.

I have the following GoFlight modules all bought over 10 years ago except for the MCP-Pro and EICAS. All except the MCP-Pro & EICAS are plugged into a D-Link USB powered hub. The others are plugged directly into the motherboard.

1xGF-LGT

2xT8

1xP8

2xGF166

1xMCP-Pro

1xMCP_EICAS

I'd appreciate your opinion and advice.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ron,
BSODs are terrible and the causes hard to find.

About 2 years ago I was plagued by a series of random BSODs running FSX (not at bootup). BluescreenViewer showed a variety of DLLs/EXEs being the suspects. I did all checks I could think of but nothing was found. As a last step I installed an old joystick sitting in the basement and the problem was gone. So it turned out it was a malfunctioning Saitek module.

Since your GoFlight modules are over 10 years old it might be useful to check if they are all healthy.

Regards,

Andreas Gutzwiller

Ive been battling a stupid BSOD for over a year, and I tell you I dont like to lose to computer problems after being a technician for 25 odd years. Stupid Microcrap couldve put a little more useful info than the garbage it spits out when giving a BSOD. Bluescreen viewer does give some clues but still vague. Its most likely a driver. Hardware seems unlikely these days although a good hardware diagnostic is not a bad idea just to rule it out. Im sure youve done it already.  

Someone mentioned this to me and its worth a try. Sometimes MB manufactuers are not the best in keeping the chipset drivers up to date, so you can try this intel utility if you have an intel chipset. 

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

I agree with the GoFlight modules. Make sure its all up to date.  

What is MB manufacturer?  I just killed the AsusSuite that was running resident as a monitor for the mb temps and so forth and also its own usb utilities, and so far no BSOD, but havnt run p3d/fsx yet which is a fantastic test for it. 

Also sleep wake states can screw things up. Check up on those guys. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Andreas,

Who's Ron? :wink:  It's Ray.

All the GoFlight modules seem to work okay. I did install their latest software yesterday but may revert to the earlier version. I have posted on the GoFlight forum and await their response. I've given them full driver details of the offending file.

Dave, it's a Gigabyte M5.Snyper. I did have an Asus but suffered with the frozen clock problem and had the board swapped by the people who built it for me. I may try that Intel utility but want to hear from GoFlight first.

Previously to this PC I ran FS9 on a home-built PC that never gave me any problems like this. So damned frustrating when FSX runs like a dream.

Thank you both for your input. I'll come back once I've heard from GoFlight.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray,

I agree with the comments above. It is a problem with your GoFlight product. You should make sure you have the latest update installed - http://www.goflightinc.com/pages/support. You can also try uninstalling the product(s), cleaning your system registry with a registery cleaner like CCleaner and then reinstalling the drivers as the Administrator.

It could be a defect in the GoFlight hardware too (trying to pull up! to many time! LOL!).

I wish there was an easy solution but BSOD's occur mainly because of defective hardware or hardware drivers. Fortunately the BSOD shows the driver that was the cause of your crashes. It could also be the USB port that your hardware is plugged in. A driver update program (freeware) will tell you what hardware drivers are out of date on your computer. If a USB port shows up, then I would move the device to another USB port or Google the USB port device shown in the update program that needs updated and download and install the update yourself. Of course, you could also pay the small registration fee for the update program to do all of that for you.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I had similar issues with BSODs with around 10 different messages concerning memory, drivers, USB, HDDs...  Finally after months, figured out that in the process of OCing my CPU, it also made my memory run 0.25V over what it was originally.  Turning it down to the default value made all problems disappear.

sig01.png

Hi Jim,

I have installed the latest GoFlight software yesterday and after uninstalling the old version searched the C drive for all files with GoFlight in their name and deleted them. I also manually checked the registry and deleted all references to GoFlight. So I'm happy that prior to the latest install the PC was clean.

I have tried these driver updates programs and I've read pros and cons about them. I will try a free scan and see what it comes up with. It is frustrating because I've had this PC a year now and the BSODs have only started in recent weeks. FSX in comparison is very stable.

I'm going to try the previous GoFlight software but first I want to hear from GoFlight.

Max, it's a professionally built PC which has been bench-tested for 24 hours to ensure it's stable. I loaded an unclocked BIOS profile and it still failed at bootup with verifier.exe running. So I'm certain it's not an overclocking issue.

Thanks to both of you.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I haven't heard back from GoFlight yet but I've decided to uninstall the GF software and unplug all GF modules. Then I'll fly the default 737-800 or Concorde.

I've never gone more than 3 flights without a BSOD so if I can fly for a few days without problem it does point to either GoFlight software or hardware.

Assuming the flights are problem free I will then reinstall the GoFlight software but only plug in one module. Then more flying to see if the stability remains. If it does then I'll add another module. And so on and so on until they're all plugged in.

The randomness of these crashes is what is so mystifying. If they happened as soon as FSX loaded it would be easier to solve. But I can go a couple of flights or just sat at the gate and then bang!

Of course if I still get them without GF installed then the error above was a red herring and I'll have to try a different approach. But this seems like the best way to go.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray,

I'm going to chime in here.

I agree with the chipset update. If you have Gigabyte, then they do a good job with their installer. You could also run a third party freeware driver update scan for information purposs only (I strongly advise against using those for installing, or even using some of the drivers they call for).

Question:  Do you allow Windows to Update?

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Besides drivers, you maybe want to see if there are firmware updates either for your PC hardware or the GoFlight modules. The only BSOD I've had with Win7 was due to my SSD firmware.

Barry Friedman

I strongly advise against using those for installing, or even using some of the drivers they call for

Not sure why you made that recommendation. This might have been a good recommendation several years ago as the programs were primitive but hardware update sites do a great job finding the latest drivers for your system today. It is now a very competitive business. I run mine (Driver Genius) at least once a month. All of the programs set a restore point before installing. Perhaps the fact I keep my hardware updated is the main reason I get few CTD's and, if it is a CTD, it is not driver/hardware related. Bugs are found in hardware and drivers are frequently updated to fix that bug. So I think it's a good option for those who want to keep their systems updated.

I don't think it is really required for someone who buys a new computer system, like a Dell or HP, as these companies usually will post an update for a particular system. After a year or so, my experience has shown that they quit updating their "old" systems and move on to their newer systems. So an driver update program might be appropriate for older systems.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I found an awesome driver update program after suffering similar blue screens

.http://download.cnet.com/DriverToolkit/3000-18513_4-75910245.html

I can tell you I hate handing over $$ to these types of programs as its a lottery but this works like a charm. It scans and in my case there were 24 drivers (confirmed by other scanners as well). One click on each and it downloads the latest version and one more click installs them. No need to trawl all the manufactures websites looking for drivers, thats a nightmare.

There is a trick. Download the program and then uninstall it and just before you do it asks if you want a 1 month license for $9.95. I did that although I wished I got the full program be cause Im going to buy it again anyway

best of luck!

ZORAN

Not sure why you made that recommendation.

Jim,

i hear you.  Just last week I ran the freeware version of Driver Genius, and though my system ran, FSX performance took an incredible hit and I also had some VERY strange driver and video behavior.  Surprised me.  Something was terribly amis, and I had to go back to a system image.

DIdn't see it coming, but it happened.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Jim,

i hear you.  Just last week I ran the freeware version of Driver Genius, and though my system ran, FSX performance took an incredible hit and I also had some VERY strange driver and video behavior.  Surprised me.  Something was terribly amis, and I had to go back to a system image.

DIdn't see it coming, but it happened.

It's hard to understand what you are trying to say above. You ran the freeware version of Driver Genius but "FSX performance" took an "incredible hit" and you had some "very strange driver and video behavior."  Yikes!  The freeware version only provides you a list of drivers that need to be updated. In order for the program to update your drivers, you have to pay for a yearly license. Then, the program will download and install your drivers AFTER it runs system restore. So it is impossible for the freeware version to do anything to your system other than tell you what drivers are out of date. As you know, whenever you suffer problems with FSX performance after installing a program, you can try to restore your system to a date before the performance "took an incredible hit". 

You should have seen it happen as you were the only one who installed the Driver Genius software and ran the program.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

Here's what I've done this morning...

Booted with verifier.exe running which checks all non-Microsoft drivers. Got the same BSOD on the GoFlight Virtual Keyboard driver.

Uninstalled GoFlight and had to uninstall virtual keyboard seperately. Rebooted still with verifier.exe running and it booted cleanly.

Installed previous build of GoFlight software. Forgot I still had verifier.exe running and got BSOD during install. Pointed to dxgmms1.sys as culprit. DX file so I ran DXDiag and it reported no errors. By now I have switched off verifier.exe.

Installed Driver Support. Reports only 4 drivers are out of date:-

• Intel HD Graphics 4600 (m/b graphics which I don't use.
  • HP Laserjet driver. Hardly relevant
  • Intel Display Audio
  • NVidia High Definiton Audio.

Don't think any of those are system critical.

I do run Windows Update. That is up to date.

Everything still points to GoFlight but I haven't heard from them yet.

So what next?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather