Sign in to follow this  
brucek

iFly B73NG in P3D v2.4?

Has anyone any comments on how the iFly B73NG works in P3D v2.4?  I recall that there were perhaps fps and maybe other issues in the past with this product and P3D, but I could be incorrect in that assumption….. and even if I'm right, things may have changed with the versions of P3D...

Thanks,  Bruce.

Bruce,

I had FPS issues with it in 2.0. I don't know if they've done any more optimizing on it since it was first released for P3D. I wish it performed better for me since it will probably be a while for the PMDG NGX.

NAX669.png

Thanks Mike... I might go check the vendor forums too for comments. Appreciate your reply. Bruce.

It's one of my go-to planes in P3D v2.4. It is tough on FPSs but it's difficult to say whether it's any more or less so than any other in-depth sim. There are a lot of P3Ders complaining about the iFly--and that may be because it's one of the few in-depth sims that's currently available for P3D--but the truth is that any deeply-modeled a/c will require lots of CPU.

I think my system is halfway decent (3770k @ 4.8Ghz, 16gb 1866mhz RAM, GTX780ti) and it's at the point where I can fly it anywhere but Alpha cities... (NY, LAX, London, etc.). I keep most of my settings maxed and typically see low to mid 20 FPSs.

I have i lfy in p3d and it is one of my go to  planes.i used to have a fps problem in vc but with my new system i am getting 30 fps in vc with 30 percent traffic with ultimatum traffic.

my new computer is a 4790 unlocked and a 970 asus video card.

regards ted kiser

Thanks Ted and Greg,

I must put my system specs in my sig here.... I have a 2700K CPU with a GTX780. I'm also running Win 8.1, and looking at the forums for this product tells me that it's not supported for this OS.. although it may work, of course.

I do have the product for FSX but haven't used it for some time (got the PMDG B73NG for FSX as well). I should check how it runs in FSX (still installed), but is the fps hot worse in P3D, do you think?

Right now, all I'm running on P3D, as far as juet airliners go, is the AS A320, QW B752 and the CS B772 (which I note does reduce fps in P3D).

Thanks for your replies, Bruce.

The Ifly 737NG runs poorly in P3D unless you use the 2D panel mode.  If you use VC, it sucks up the frames to a slideshow in heavy weather near a large airport.  Its odd because it runs almost the same as the Aerosoft Airbus in FSX.  There must be something about the gauges in DX11 that slow it down so much in P3D.  Since the price is not insignificant for the P3D Ifly, you would think  they would make it more compatible.  When I questioned them, (no forums, just direct questions), they seem to ridicule the customer for wanting to use shadows  and other P3D graphics.  They offer no solutions and dismiss the buyer as beneath their dignity to attempt a resolution.  Stay the hell away and wait for someone else.

My opinion as long time simulator user and tweaker.

By the way they refused  to discuss my problems as I also run Windows 8.1, although that has nothing to do with the poor performance of the Ifly 737NG.  I honestly don;t believe they want to sell the product.  Flight One is not P3D friendly.  

Thanks diajohn,

I would agree that the price is not insignificant.... part of why I am asking this question... like many here I don't mind paying for something that works...

Thanks for your honest comments.. Bruce.

I think $80 is the most I've ever spent on an addon and it stung - I think I had several beers before I hit the "submit" button. Flight1's support of the product is questionable at best: they don't allow you on the forums and only provide support via a ticket system only because they say it's a commercial product. I used the ticket system once in regard to their configurator software and they responded quickly and the matter was resolved.

What bothers me most about the support issue--excuse the momentary digression--is that they could at least allow folks "read-only" access to the support forums so that, even from their perspective, they could alleviate their supprt personnel's time spent answering seemingly trivial questions. Many folks probably have RTFM questions that they could at least quickly find in a forum (not to excuse the lack of manual reading in this hobby). This should all be noted in the context that the a/c is essentially a finished product and I have not been able to find any glitches... and I can't really call framerates a "glitch," per se, unless there is some gauge anomaly that didn't correctly make the port-over from FSX. All-in-all, the support issue is, er, sort of a non-issue for me. I'm a low maintenance guy to begin with and the iFly functions and is modeled wonderfully.

And Bruce, it so happens that I have all of the other aircraft that you mention. Without writing a novel, I would compare the iFly to the Captain Sim that you're familiar with for two basic reasons: their performance is comparable (although I think the recent 1.5 update for the CS 777 made performance worse) and they both attempt to model all of the systems (the AS and QW products are straighforwardly marketed as lite and sorta-lite products). However, today of all days, I think I called it quits with CS. I've helped out on their forum a little bit so I won't bother griping over there but their a/c are never finished, their support is horrendous and every time they try to fix something, they break something else. I've also found several inaccuracies with the 777 and I'd be curious to find out where they got their source material. Lukcily, it sounds like the 777 is PMDG's first P3D release so the wait for a replacement won't be long.

The iFly, though, shouldn't fail you in that respect. There should be plenty of reviews of the FSX version and likely some comparisons between it and the comparable PMDG product (I didn't bother reading any such comparisons since my only choice for P3D is the iFly). But if you want something that "works," then you should be more than happy. I'd love to see them remove whatever FPS-hungry code is embedded but I have a feeling they've finished the a/c and it's at the end of its line with regard to updates and fixes. I'm sure their focus is now on the upcoming 747 which I will undoubtedly buy upon launch.

Let me or anyone else know if you have any other questions or concerns - $80 is indeed steep for a product that seems a bit under the radar with specifc regard to the P3D version...

Yes Greg-  I would need a few beers too before I could push that "buy" button for $80. :)   That being said, I expect the P3D PMDG products to cost more than that, and I'm sure I will willingly buy them when they become available....

I assume that the P3D iFly product comes with the standard Flight 1 wrapper, and is refundable within a given time, am I correct?

I appreciate your more lengthy reply-  I'm hearing two things:  Support and fps performance.  That seems to be a common thread here with the answers provided so far.

Appreciate your candor in your reply, Greg, and thanks for the comparison to the other a/c that we both have....

As mentioned above, I have already used the product in FSX, found it enjoyable but got distracted with the PMDG version of the a/c....  

Thanks again,  Bruce.

No problem, Bruce. Yes, it does come in a standard Flight1 wrapper and I'm pretty sure it includes the 30 day refund policy although I can't completely recall as I bought this in the spring and my memory is questionable, at best. Defnitely check with them beforehand. I almost forgot about that, though; it is a nice feature that'd make it risk-free.

Thanks- and I have just seen the v1.5 update for the CS B777....  it actually advertises a fix for the fps, but you think it's worse now, I think.. I haven't installed it yet :)

Thanks again,  Bruce.

PS.  My memory is not the best anymore either....  

No, the "FPS improvement" and "code optimization" didn't seem to do much good. They also fixed the ILS alignment but largely at the expense of the rollout function: you may autoland near the centerline but the rollout works so well as to roll you out onto the grass. No one's more of a proponent of hand flying than I, but sometimes when you have to Cat III, you have to Cat III.

Well, I took the plunge and bought the iFly B73NG for P3FD. I expected the worst from what I have read regarding fps, but I found it better than the CS B777 (v1.5). I have still to try it at one of my more detaled airports,such as FSDT or FlightBeam...

I've yet to get into this bird..... several things I have noted on first running it in P3D v2.4: There is a wing view from the VC view, wjhich is nice as I get the "internal" sounds, however I note no engines are present, and some other parts of the wings may also be missing- I assume this is an fps fix. Also, at dusk or night time the PDF is very bright and almost unreadable,almost a bloom effect, although I have yet to try turning down the itensity of the lighting in the PFD.

It's nice to have a plane that does what it's meant to :)

Thanks- having beer now to soften the blow... :)

Bruce.

Bruce, Now that you've had about 2 weeks to test the iFly NGX (and for the beer to wear off), what's the verdict?

NAX669.png