Sign in to follow this  
Driver170

API.DLL with stress test

Quick run down i clocked my build 3 weeks ago at 40ghz V1.12 from nicks guide.

I decided today to run the OCCT stress software with FSX plus the 737 NGX i let it cruize and ran the test - OCCT linpack 1st (tests temp) with FSX for a few hours and no crashes from FSX :) and 5 hours on the CPU OCCT but 3 hours into that i got an API.DLL ctd, never had that before and all my settings ain't 2048 or any other crazy settings from REX or in FSX. So has to be the test thats doing something to it?

Also can i add i run EZDOK and that got an error

Message too

Floating point overflow

User32.dll

Vernon Howells

I've never seen the floating point overflow error but it is complicated and, if you want to learn more you have to Google it or read the article at the following link - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19957-01/806-3568/ncg_goldberg.html (then write a dissertation as to what it means in layman terms).

The api.dll is the one that runs fsx. There have been members here who have tried to hack it so that it will more efficiently run FSX and FSX applications without getting an OOM. Those efforts as far as I know have been totally unsuccessful. Every time you place stress on FSX processes, the more likely you will get the api.dll faulting module error (which most often means you ran out of memory). Of course it could be your OC. As I told you before, I followed NickN's guidance for overclocking as I have the same MB, CPU, and video card he has (I got mine first). It just takes one setting he recommends and fsx will become unstable in YOUR system. That's why he recommends stress testing a lot. I remember I stress tested my system with several programs and my system passed each and everyone of them. Then I ran FSX. Uh, it crashed. NTDLL.dll/StackHash errors. I would return my system to the optimal defaults and the crashes went away. So, his settings, although supposedly working great for him, does not mean they will work for you. No system is alike and even Intel says that not all of the CPU's can overclock as well as other CPU's. It turns out my CPU wasn't one of their best. NickN talks about that too. I think if you can get it to overclock above 4.5 or 4.6GHz, then you have one of the best CPU's. If you are getting crashes at that OC, then it's not one of their best. Of course keeping your drivers up-to-date and your system cleaned with programs like CCleaner helps but it doesn't necessarily mean FSX will work perfectly every time.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

It was due to me running OCCT CPU test stress for 5 hours that caused the crash, the (API.DLL ctd) I believe is related to OOM and the stress test running was sucking up all the system resources.

I have had no crashes since doing the Haswell setup and i thought it would be smart running FSX, ezdok, track ir, ASN, 737 NGX, UTX Europe, REX with the most powerfull stress test out there. No wonder it caved in lol

Vernon Howells

Yes, it is a well-known fact here in the CTD Forum that the API.dll is connected to the OOM's as the API.dll handles all the processes.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Yeh jim true best not run a CPU stress test again with FSX, as it sooks the resources up

Vernon Howells