Sign in to follow this  
Fi5kuS

Reason for differences in FPS from windowed to full screen

If I change to windowed mode and minimize to for instance half my screen, fps shoots in the air. I know this has been discussed for FSX, but it also imminent i Prepar3D. Can anyone explain the reason for this?

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

I apologize for the short response, but it is likely due to graphics card fillrate limitations...

"When designing graphics intensive applications, one can determine whether the application is fillrate-limited by seeing if the frame rate increases dramatically when the application runs at a lower resolution or in a smaller window." -wiki

Just curious, which graphic card you're using? A more up to date graphic cards shouldn't see such a difference I guess b/c P3D in many cases are still mostly CPU-bound.

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

If I change to windowed mode and minimize to for instance half my screen, fps shoots in the air. I know this has been discussed for FSX, but it also imminent i Prepar3D. Can anyone explain the reason for this?

It's may be an issue with how the frames are counting, my guess.

Another example is of you are using the menu, the frames counter will now show that your frames have doubled. To me, it looks like that the it counts the rendering of menu and sim graphics as separate frames and adds them up, hence double.

is this the start-menu button overlap thing? it happens with the fsx version too.. i'd have guessed that it can be solved in p3d but maybe it's a core win7 issue. i know i've seen it with a few other games also.

theres a thread with more info here: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/419071-surprising-fps-hog/

cheers

-andy crosby

Just curious, which graphic card you're using? A more up to date graphic cards shouldn't see such a difference I guess b/c P3D in many cases are still mostly CPU-bound.

GTX 760 with an I7 4770K OCed to 4,5 ghz. 

is this the start-menu button overlap thing? it happens with the fsx version too.. i'd have guessed that it can be solved in p3d but maybe it's a core win7 issue. i know i've seen it with a few other games also.

theres a thread with more info here: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/419071-surprising-fps-hog/

cheers

-andy crosby

Well its weird since the FPS increases whenever I minimize the window further. So If I for instance make it an 20cm x 15 cm on my 24 inch screen the FPS is rocket high. But if I just minimize it so that the start menu appears, I only gain a few FPS. So maybe a new graphics card is the way to go then? I've just read a lot of threads about updating to GTX 980 for instance where the general opinion is to hold your money and use it for something else.

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

Well its weird since the FPS increases whenever I minimize the window further.

Er... isn't this simply due to the fact that you are in fact lowering the resolution of the sim...? If you usually play at 1920x1080 and you resize the window to half your screen, you are actually playing at 960x540. No wonder performance is better. Resize it once more and you may be playing at 480x270 LOL Any card can play a game at that res with high fps, it seems to me.