Sign in to follow this  
vgbaron

First experience with 4K monitor

ok - got my Samsung 28" HD monitor last night and set it up. Mixed emotions so far.

Native res is 3820x2160. First observation is the the picture is fantastic but there are a few issues.

I run a multi monitor system and have two GTX780's in SLI - second monitor is a 28" HannsG native at 1920x1200. My first issue is that the men items in P3D are so small at 3820 that with my old eyes it is difficult to see. Changed the DPI scaling to help but then the second monitor text gets huge. SO that will be my first hurdle.

Without changing any settings in P3D or NVidia CP I started up P3D and immediately flew into IMC - I'm locked at 22fps but I was having a hard time maintaining that. To be fair to the monitor, I am running some high settings and I have 4SGSS set in NVI.

IAC, I'm pretty sure I'll need to adjust my settings as far as AA goes but so far my report card for this experiment is

Picture quality a BIG A++

Performance a big C

but this is straight out of the box with my usual non HD settings.

Time will tell( quickly) if I keep I or return it.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I'd personally dump the HD monitor and get a 32" HD TV screen and run it with an HDMI cable.  I have multiple setup as well and use 17" Acer monitor for second.  Both have separate settings.   Do yourself a favor and get the cataract surgery.  I did.   :lol:  

....Do yourself a favor and get the cataract surgery.  I did.     

No way

Do NOT get the eye surgery, then you can turn Off the AA and you will not know the diff

I think a 27" 2560x1440 monitor is the perfect balance of performance/resolution.

4K is a bit overkill for today's hardware combined with FSX

Keven Menard 
Technical Director, //42

I use a 40" LCD TV, and I find it too small... Don't know how you guys cope with those tiny screens.  :)

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600 is still the best FS option imho... 

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

LOL! I already had the eye surgery. I can see the tiny text but it's a pita. Anyhow it's a moot point, packed it up and returning to Amazon.

I got it to work just fine. What surprised me is that I installed the 344.60 drivers and reset the P3D profile and left everything at default - it was fantastic visually!

However the big downside for me - I started to get OOM's and I have RARELY had one in either FSX or P3D. Also the multi monitor scaling is troublesome to me.

Lot's of plusses for the 4K but, IMHO, not enough to overcome the negatives - at least as far as FSX and/or P3D go.

I've got 2 28" and a 22" so I'm not hurting for monitors but this 4K one just didn't do it for me.

YMMV,

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

NO!

A typical TV for use as a monitor SUCKS. Do NOT bother with TVs with monitors.

Wow, what a blanket statement. If by typical TV you are referring to a 1984 RCA 19" CRT, then yes, that would suck as a PC monitor.

HDTVs are very capable nowadays to serve as a PC monitor. I use a Samsung UN46ES6003 1080P HDTV and it excels at it. Of course I am not sitting 2 feet from the screen, as I would if it were a 27" monitor.

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

NO!

A typical TV for use as a monitor SUCKS. Do NOT bother with TVs with monitors.

I don't understand why people keep saying this. I use an HDTV via HDMI at 1920 x 1080 as a monitor and the image quality is excellent. I use this setup for both a development workstation and my simming machine. The quality rivals my other PC monitors. Seems a few people can't get this to work and go around telling everybody else that it doesn't work. Well that's just horse pucks! :lol:

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

A 4K is really just a 1080 as far as visual real estate is concerned.

FSX/P3D may adjust for just a wee bit more coverage but it is not 4X

It does however have 4 pixels to the one making for finer detail on the same picture square area

Wow, what a blanket statement. If by typical TV you are referring to a 1984 RCA 19" CRT, then yes, that would suck as a PC monitor.

HDTVs are very capable nowadays to serve as a PC monitor. I use a Samsung UN46ES6003 1080P HDTV and it excels at it. Of course I am not sitting 2 feet from the screen, as I would if it were a 27" monitor.

Efrain! Good to see you back.

Well the reason I said that was because I used to use a TV as a monitor. I hated the experience. 

I don't understand why people keep saying this. I use an HDTV via HDMI at 1920 x 1080 as a monitor and the image quality is excellent. I use this setup for both a development workstation and my simming machine. The quality rivals my other PC monitors. Seems a few people can't get this to work and go around telling everybody else that it doesn't work. Well that's just horse pucks! :lol: