Sign in to follow this  
vgbaron

First experience with 4K monitor

Native res is 3820x2160. First observation is the the picture is fantastic but there are a few issues.

To be fair to the monitor, I am running some high settings and I have 4SGSS set in NVI.

Vic, you should not need any SGSS with a 4K monitor (in theory).

Try it with just X2 or X4 MSAA.

You should get quite a few frames back.

Also Win8 scales 4K menu/desktop text etc much better than Win7, I read.

gb

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Well my opinion, for what's it worth, is that the perfect compromise between resolution, desk real estate, easy driving and general usefulness is the 21:9 monitors typified by the LG 34UM95-P and similar.

Checkout this thread of a couple of days ago :-

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/451143-219-aspect-ratio-monitors-for-p3d/

I use a 58 inch Panasonic TV 4K TV as a display with Display Port, and I LOVE IT.   I use two titans GPUS in SLI to drive it.  There is a monitor mode that removes any and all post processing.

Display port is the only format right now that can do 4K at 60fps, HDMI2 can as well, but the titan doesn't support it.  The new 900 series Nvidia cards may be different.

I think the OP is using too high an AA setting, more resolutions means you can probably turn down AA quite a bit.

I was able to customize a res of 3168x1782 which I sometimes use when needed and this increases my fluidity and fps significantly although not by a tremendous amount

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "The Prepar3d General Forum" to "Monitors, Video Cards and Drivers". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600 is still the best FS option imho... 

I have to agree.  A "4K" 3840x2160 TV (actually UHD, true 4K is 4096x2160) has just over twice the pixel count of the U3011 at 2560x1600.  I am able to keep my nose comfortably above the water w/r/t frame rates on the U3011...it seems likely that even a strong cutting-edge machine with an overclocked 980 might be struggling to keep frame rates acceptable at double the frame size.  I also like the more vertically-spatious 16:10 AR better than 16:9 for simming, although a 55" UHD TV at normal monitor sitting distance (~3 feet) might change that.

I've seen a couple folks recently suggest that AA isn't as important, and can be turned down at the higher res...I don't follow that argument.  A jaggy is still a jaggy--the only way I can imagine higher res reducing the need for AA is if the viewing distance is increased to the point where the eye's resolution can no longer perceive the fine detail, so the smaller jaggies blend in.  But for close-in use, where the increased resolution is used to expand the FOV, AA is still just as important as it has always been, and AA/AF on close to 8 megapixels per frame is a heapin' helpin' of workload for the video card.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I use a 58 inch Panasonic TV 4K TV as a display with Display Port, and I LOVE IT.   I use two titans GPUS in SLI to drive it.  There is a monitor mode that removes any and all post processing.

Display port is the only format right now that can do 4K at 60fps, HDMI2 can as well, but the titan doesn't support it.  The new 900 series Nvidia cards may be different.

I think the OP is using too high an AA setting, more resolutions means you can probably turn down AA quite a bit.

I'm thinking of using a 55" Samsung 4K curved TV with a GTX780C 6GB and a second 19" touchscreen.  Are you ONLY using the tv or are you driving another monitor, too?

I just connected a 4xHD 49'' TV to my simulator, and fly it at the nominal 3850*2160 resolution. Graphics card is Geforce 660 GTX 2Mb.

In one word mind blowing !!

As well the VC's as the 3D world look outstanding, extremely sharp and crispy. Performance in P3D is top class and better than in FSX.

I am totally sold to this setup, I enjoy simflying more than ever!

Jan

I want to clarify one issue about my problem with 4K monitor.

The visuals were exceptional! My problem stemmed from the fact that I have two monitors - the 4K at 3860 and another at 1920.

The issue was text scaling - even with 20/20 vision the text size on the 4K was very difficult to read but the problem was that when I scaled up the text size on the 4K - Windows 7 automatically scaled it up on the 1920, thus making the second monitor text very large.

If I wanted to buy TWO 4K units - the problem wouldn't be there - I also understand that Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 support individual scaling of monitors - however I'm not ready to switch OS yet.

SO, to clarify - if you only run 1 monitor - the image quality on a 4K is great. I left all Nvidia settings at default - no AA, etc - not a jaggy in sight. Beautiful.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I'm thinking of using a 55" Samsung 4K curved TV with a GTX780C 6GB and a second 19" touchscreen.  Are you ONLY using the tv or are you driving another monitor, too?

I am only driving the one monitor, since it takes up my whole field of vision.

I actually wanted a Samsung curved display, but when I looked into it, i saw that if you want 60 fps refresh rate at 4k, it needed HDMI 2, which the nvidia cards do not support.

Since display port is what the cards support now, I went with the Panasonic, as it was the only display port model available. 

This was in the summer, things may have changed since...

Hi,

I plan to add to my pit for the visual 3 4k 49" LG IPS TVs 49UB850V (49UB8500 equivalent for the US market) driven by 2 GTX 980 in SLI.

I'd like to have them as 2 lateral: left (120 degrees from central view to compensate the very short distance from my seat (+/- 20")) & right (90 degrees from central but +/-40" from the seat) and central view (+/- 30" from me)

I don't intend to use them as 3x4K res. as I figured (by the readings I read) that no GC are able (even in SLI) to drive them all at that res, but I'd like to now if the upscaling in FHD would ruin the visual or if just the short distance between my seat and the monitors will do...?

I also have a third GC that drives 3 other monitors (2 10" LCD touchscreen and a small 8" LCD) for the avionics & misc (G500, GTN suite and eng. monitoring), and yet another (last) 19" monitor for the eng. inst. (driven by a small laptop).

I use P3D v2.4.

Thanks in advance

Emmanuel

I am only driving the one monitor, since it takes up my whole field of vision.

I actually wanted a Samsung curved display, but when I looked into it, i saw that if you want 60 fps refresh rate at 4k, it needed HDMI 2, which the nvidia cards do not support.

Since display port is what the cards support now, I went with the Panasonic, as it was the only display port model available. 

This was in the summer, things may have changed since...

Any problems with banding on your Panasonic? I'm drawn to this one in particular (still the only 4k model to offer Dispalyport support) , but reports of banding, particularly during motion, have come up on.

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

In case anyone missed it the latest nVidia GTX9xx cards

have HDMI 2 output.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Any problems with banding on your Panasonic? I'm drawn to this one in particular (still the only 4k model to offer Dispalyport support) , but reports of banding, particularly during motion, have come up on.

I have not seen any, from my research, the banding artifacts were primarily with the larger 65" models, I have the (relatively) smaller 58".