Sign in to follow this  
Pete S

Unable to start FSX, dataset error

Hi,

I am unable to start FSX,  getting error stating:  "...... There is currently no VORs in the dataset...."

Anyone have any idea as to what may have happened? Why would I all of a sudden loose my VORs?

Pete

Pete S.

10th gen CPU I7-10700K, MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge MB, RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB-DDR4 3600, 

2X 1TB Sabrent Rocket Q M.2 Nvme SSD. Enermax RGB CPU Liquid Cooler.(Still waiting on Evga RTX 3080 Video)

Nothing "new". I recently had to do a reinstall with a backup image of the FSX drive, everything was running well after that until last night, when I tried to start FSX and got the dreaded dataset error.

I did cleanup some unused aircraft out of the "SimObjects" folder, but it ran fine after that.

Maybe I'll try to go back and restore that folder, to see if it resolves the problem.

Thanks

Pete S.

10th gen CPU I7-10700K, MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge MB, RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB-DDR4 3600, 

2X 1TB Sabrent Rocket Q M.2 Nvme SSD. Enermax RGB CPU Liquid Cooler.(Still waiting on Evga RTX 3080 Video)

Does anyone know where the offending VOR dataset file is located?

I did a backup image reinstall of a previously working FSX, but still get the error, so it's obviously not in the FSX folder.

It must be in one of Windows 7 user folders, but I can't locate it.

I'd hate to have to reinstall the whole FSX!  If I can find the file I may be able to get it running without resorting to a complete reinstall!

Pete S

Pete S.

Well, 'slap me silly'. I guess I can answer my own question.

On a whim I decided to reinstall an "oldscenery.CFG", since I figured the VOR info has got be in the sceneries...... Started up FSX after a couple of minutes it rebuilt the scenery database and I'm back in business! 

I have no idea how the "scenery.cfg" got screwed up, I didn't install any new sceneries.

It must be the old Computer Gremlins again!

Pete S.

Pete S.