Sign in to follow this  
nandrews

Position error at airport in Chile

I am at SCGZ in Chile and starting from the ramp I get directions to Rwy 26, but I am told it is 7000+ft away !

I would esitmate it to actually be about 1000ft at most

As I backtrack Rwy 26 the distance increases! So that by the time I am lined up in position on Rwy 26 RCv4 shows me around 8000ft away from the point it expects and hence I don't get take-off clearance.

I selected the opposite runway and taxied to the other end and it was still showing many thousands feet still to go.

I have run Makerwys and restarted everything, but that did not make any difference.

I tried a flight from EGKA Shoreham (UK) and that was fine, the position showed correctly and I received clearance.

I am using Orbx scenery, but I don't believe that is responsible for the error.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks

Nigel

First, insure you are running the current makerwys.exe from:

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/66136-useful-additional-programs/

RC uses r5.csv in your FS folder and copies that to its rcv4/data folder as r4.csv after RC has executed makerwys and after finishing copies the file. If you have RC on a networked client to an FS host via widefs then you first run make rwys first and then run the scenery rebuild to copy and process the file.

Compare the time and date properties and file size of r5.csv in your FS folder and r4.csv in the rc/data folder. Then look at the properties of the a4.csv file and see if the time/date is near the r4.csv.

Next, you need top check that your orbx scenery af type file (runway, taxiway, and other data) was the last makerwys read. In wordpad in your FS folder open runways.txt, the log of makerwys operations. Search for Airport SCGZ. First you'll see a section for the default. The first line or so points to the scenery file and location.

For each add-on there are two sections - a deletion section and a  scenery elements section (runways, etc.)  They may not be adjacent. Be sure the last scenery elements section points to the proper file for SCGZ in the correct folder. The last section has priority and is what is being used for af (airport facilities) type file for runway, parking locations, etc. Files of this type may, but not always, be created with AFCAD (FS9 outdated utility), ADE, AFX, or full scenery design applications.

You need to insure an af type file belongs to that orbix scenery and not a competing af file sometimes installed by traffic apps or other scenery.

Be sure when RC build its dtabase you have supplied the correct path, local or network, to your FS folder and answered the WideFS prompt as to whether RC is on the same FS PC or a network client.

Check your flight plan coordinates for the airport and starting position.

Last check your aircraft starting position in a high overhead view as a reality check :)

Thanks Ronzie for your comprehensive reply.

I will check and try all you say and hopefully all will work.

Nigel

Ronzie,

Thanks again for that.

Installed later version of Makerwys and selected the rebuild database in RC.

Now it shows the runway just 800 meters away, which is much more realistic!

I noted that before rebuild database I had neither rc4.csv nor r5.csv in the FS folder!

Afterwards they were there and also rc4.csv copied to RC data folder and a4.csv and c4.csv created there, BUT I note I have both rcv4 and rcv4x folders and the r4.csv is in C:\Program Files (x86)\rcv4x\data.

Thanks for your help.

Nigel

Remember that you have to run the RC scenery database rebuild separately for each version and remember to put in the correct FS path for each version. The FSX data and FS9 data is different as pulled from each FS version.

RC copies r5.csv in your fs folders to r4.csv in its data folders. a4.csv then is created again for each version from r4.csv in  RC's data folders.

Ronzie,

Excuse me being puzzled, but which "versions" are you talking about?

I only have the one (latest) version of RC. Wouldn't have any need for an old version.

You also mention FS9, but I only have FSX installed.

Thanks again

Nigel

Ronzie,

Excuse me being puzzled, but which "versions" are you talking about?

I only have the one (latest) version of RC. Wouldn't have any need for an old version.

You also mention FS9, but I only have FSX installed.

Thanks again

Nigel

I am talking about the two folders for RC (if you installed it that way) called rcv4 and rcv4x.rcv4 is used for FS9 and rcv4x is used for fsx. Each has different data according to the sim you gave it the paths for including during the scenery rebuild.

I recommend you have two shortcuts for each sim version. Call one shortcut rcfs9 which points to the rcv4.exe in your rcv4 folder. Call the other rcfsx which points to the rcv4.exe in your rcv4x folder. Both folders have the same version of rcv4.exe and some fixed data files including audio.

Edit - Since you only have FSX intstalled and you indicated that during the install, you will only have one rc folder to contend with.

Ronzio,

Thanks, but I am still puzzled.

As I say, I only have FSX, so I installed it to work with that.

I don't see why it would also install for FS9!

Does the fact that the install has done this impact how I use RC in FSX? Can I just delete the folder rcv4?

It seems to me to be working OK now, but I need the reassurance that it will continue so.

Thanks

Nigel

Delete the folder rcv4 if you only have fsx and you do have the rcv4x folder for fsx. Be sure rcv4.exe runs fine from the rcv4x folder first.

You can easily test by renaming the rcv4 folder to rcv4fs9xxx so nothing in it is used. If all is OK then delete it.

Be sure to check your paths and do a scenery rebuild for the remaining folder.

Warning -- Do not just cancel out of the explorer view in setting the wx/flt path but select it again as it can corrupt your rcv3.dat and keyboard.dat files located in your rcv4x folder. Make a safe copy of those in an independent folder to avoid a reinstall if those files corrupt (error 62).