Sign in to follow this  
arnobg

Shout out to everyone who loves hand flying airliners!

So I'm fairly new to flying airliners in relation to the rest of you simmers who have been doing this for years and years. I've always enjoyed flying VFR in small aircraft. Recently I started flying the 737 NGX and at first it was very overwhelming reading manuals, doing practice approaches, figuring out FMC, etc.

The majority of the first few months was spent flying it using autopilot once 1,000 AGL and until on final approach. Recently I've started hand flying short flights (one hour or less) now that I am comfortable with the systems and have to say, it is the most fun I have ever had in FSX. Now that I actually know what's going on with the systems and how to manage my time in the cockpit with a more complex aircraft, hand flying is a breeze and a lot more fun! Nothing is more rewarding than hand flying this plane up to FL220 and then back down in a scenic area, especially with complex SID's and STAR's with live ATC and other traffic in the area to find out the windows.

For those of you that don't hand fly this plane, it flies like a dream and you're missing out! Smooth as butter.

Just wanted to share my new experience and shout out to everyone that doesn't take off, turn the autopilot on and walk away until landing. Have fun!

I agree the PMDG NGX is amazing I wish they'd update it.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

I could live with a straight port to P3D V2 without a service pack. Which I believe is what we are going to get!

I just installed CS 727 in P3D V2.4 with the estonia tool and it seem to work perfectly. Hand flying it is a blast!

PMDG T7 is a baby doll in your hands. Probably not done much in RW  but seems you can feel the aircraft weight in your hands  as she responds to control input.

Vic green

I love to hand fly the PMDG 747 and the PMDG 777 and the CS727 and the F1 MD80.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I love to handly them, but the trim buttons sensitivy on my yoke is too low, so i need to press that button for half a year to get it trimmed :(

Captain sim products, on those the sensitivity is too damn high.

But the NGX flies very well :smile:
I even do throttles manually, it's annoying when trust is constantly changed so you are non-stop trimming it.

EDIT:
Just a question, does the NGX handle rudder automatically? I never need to touch the rudder as it seems to be doing it by itself. I have autorudder disabled ofcourse.

Hand fly upto cruise and finals all the time in the PMDG 777 and NGX, aprochers in the NG are also manual throttle. Nothing is better :)

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I wonder how much hand flying the airlines permit in RW. Is it the PF's prerogative?

Vic green

I wonder how much hand flying the airlines permit in RW. Is it the PF's prerogative?

I have pilots in the family, if i remember correctly they told me that they have to enable the autopilot above a certain altitude to ensure safety, because autopilot doesn't make human errors.

Southwest used to disable auto throttle from the factory. Now the bean counters will demand you follow the most cost saving profile so hand flying is discouraged. Hand fly on takeoff up to 10000 at most, and disconnect on final.