Sign in to follow this  
Adam T Lutley

moving over to P3D

Hi everyone in the P3D world. I realize this has probably been covered to death in various other posts and forums but want some input from experienced P3D users. I have watched with great interest the evolution of P3D and have finally decided to make the jump with version 2.4 being released. Future PMDG compatibility, better GPU utilization, and better stability (at least from what I've read) have all lead to this decision. I've been flight simming since the mid 90's and have used every MS flight sim version produced. My hardware specs are posted in my profile and are more than adequate (I7 3770k, NVIDIA 670FTW z77 based platform). My open question would be this:

I realize nothing is "100% crash free" but how stable is P3D compared to FSX overall as seen by experienced simmers of both platforms?

Is it less cumbersome to instal and set up than FSX?

Many thanks in advance

I realize nothing is "100% crash free" but how stable is P3D compared to FSX overall as seen by experienced simmers of both platforms?

Is it less cumbersome to instal and set up than FSX?

Many thanks in advance

Much more stable as I never had a crash with it

Way easier to install - one file - thats it - just beware if you are going to re install it - uninstall it first for the license transfer to work correctly

Rich Sennett

Richard, If what you say is correct, why is there lots of post's asking for help?

Dave Taylor gb.png

Thanks for the inputs. Plan on using with ORBX scenery, Traffic 360, and some payware aircraft. Might leave the scenery alone if the default looks ok. I realize its a balancing act when it comes to loading addons  onto the platform. Regards

My personal experience with FSX was that I had to reboot the computer between two flights, if I didnt, FSX would CTD on the second flight.

With P3D I had one crash in the two years I've been using it, v1.4 and v2.2 up to v2.4, when I overclocked my CPU a little too much and my system just wasnt stable and crashed to BSOD. But this, of course, wasnt P3D, or caused by P3D.

And it's not like I'm easy on the settings, I like eye-candy and thick populated scenery coverage. :P

Cheers!

Maarten

Hello. I don't want to hijack the thread but I didn't know we're else to ask this question.

I have only ever played X-Plane but I decided to give Prepar3d a go and see what I thought of it because of things like Orbtx and A2 simulations. I made my purchase, downloaded it, installed it and activated it no probs at all very happy so far.

Here are my computer specs. i73930k,,4.1,,Gtx690 4gigVram...16 gig ram and 500 gig SSD

I put my settings on medium nothing crazy and locked my frame rate at 35.

I noticed how slow it took my plane and sceney to appear when I first entered the game.

My plane and scenery appeared bit by bit? Is that normal?

My FPS is a constant 35 I've no probs there on the ground and in the air.

secondly when I'm panning around the default cockpit or the Carenado B1900d cockpit

Using the space bar and the mouse I can't get over how blurry everything looks. When I stop everything is very clear, just very blurry when I'm panning. Is That normal?

I have'nt gone near the Nvidia control panel

Any options would be great. Apart from that I'm very happy with my purchase

slow texture when you enter the sim, thats normal the first time due shaders getting rebuild, or new aircraft, its going to be faster everytime.

Panning heavy detailed VC like carenado might sometimes get that effect, also depends how fast you moved and how fast your gpu can render. I really dont see a problem here, just try not to read while panning..  Sometimes and most likely tweaking cfg or inspector could create more issues than improvements. 

slow texture when you enter the sim, thats normal the first time due shaders getting rebuild, or new aircraft, its going to be faster everytime.

Panning heavy detailed VC like carenado might sometimes get that effect, also depends how fast you moved and how fast your gpu can render. I really dont see a problem here, just try not to read while panning..  Sometimes and most likely tweaking cfg or inspector could create more issues than improvements.

Thank you Celis for your feedback.

I've had the odd CTD with P3D since having tessellation ticked ON but nothing during flights.

With tessellation ticked OFF the sim crashes within seconds of flight. This seems to be happening to quite a few people.

Run it with tessellation ticked ON and you should be fine. It's a great game and very immersive.

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

I switched over last week and I was a die hard FSX'er.  I had it running so well and fluid that it was painful to turn my back on all of that hard work and tweaking (thousands of hours).  

I am so glad that I did.  The interface is a breath of fresh air.  It is stable - I have only crashed forcing Accufeel to work.

The colors seem much nicer (hdr perhaps), the autogen does not look as old school.  Overall a much more refined look and feel.  I am only running ASN, Orbx regions, Orbx GA traffic, and REX cloud/sky textures.  I fly VFR/IFR low and slow (sub 200knots most of the time) and could not be happier.

I am happy I did it because in the FSX forums I kept reading opinions that it was just FSX with a different name.  Some of the posters had not even tried it, but it did make me hesitate.  I took the plunge and seriously recommend you do as well.  You can get a refund if you do not like it or if it performs differently on your system.

D- 

I've had the odd CTD with P3D since having tessellation ticked ON but nothing during flights.

With tessellation ticked OFF the sim crashes within seconds of flight. This seems to be happening to quite a few people.

Run it with tessellation ticked ON and you should be fine. It's a great game and very immersive.

Thank you Trafficpilot i will certainly take that on board.   Yes your rite it is very immersive,  i'm just feeling my way around but enjoying the experiance.

Well dokelly07 i was probably one of those people  :blush:  but here i am now.   I like the idea of A2A Simulations and all the Plug And Play scenery that's Pd3 has,  so looking forward to that.

I suppose i am at a cross roads now between the 2 Sims.   Only thing that was driving my head mad last night was the PD3 cameras, in X-Plane you can just hit the No pad and you can zoom all around the cockpit.    I will have to check out Opus  and there cameras 

I switched over last week and I was a die hard FSX'er.  I had it running so well and fluid that it was painful to turn my back on all of that hard work and tweaking (thousands of hours).  

I am so glad that I did.  The interface is a breath of fresh air.  It is stable - I have only crashed forcing Accufeel to work.

The colors seem much nicer (hdr perhaps), the autogen does not look as old school.  Overall a much more refined look and feel.  I am only running ASN, Orbx regions, Orbx GA traffic, and REX cloud/sky textures.  I fly VFR/IFR low and slow (sub 200knots most of the time) and could not be happier.

I am happy I did it because in the FSX forums I kept reading opinions that it was just FSX with a different name.  Some of the posters had not even tried it, but it did make me hesitate.  I took the plunge and seriously recommend you do as well.  You can get a refund if you do not like it or if it performs differently on your system.

D- 

Thanks for the continued feedback. Since I suffered a CTD with my NGX after following Nick N's bible to the letter this past spring, I pretty well stopped simming. Of course my golf game had a lot to do with it as well LOL!. Now that winter is rearing its ugly head early, I've taken renewed interest. Like I said, I've had a flight sim custom built rig of some sort since the mid 90's, so I'm not a novice. Just got tired of continuously investing time and $$$ into an increasingly outdated platform. If Microsoft won't continue to support it, why should I. Anyway, the only thing propping FSX up has been the plethora of 3rd party support, but that isn't enough for me anymore. Too much going on to constantly tweak and configure FSX. I know many have theirs running "stable" and are very vocal about conveying that on the various forums.