Sign in to follow this  

The perfect HDR ...

I shouldn't say perfect because it will vary from individual to individual and is very much monitor(s) dependent on how HDR information is presented to the end user.

But for 4K monitor users or anyone interested in increased brightness levels in P3D v2.4 without getting too much clipping of brightness here are some settings that work very well for my setup:

\ShadersHLSL\PostProcess\HDR.HLSL

Line 10-13:

static const float BloomThreshold = 03.25f;

static const float BloomMagnitude = 03.75f;

static const float BloomBlurSigma = 1.3;

static const float TimeDelta = 4.0f;

Line 166:

avgLuminance *= 0.60f;

NOTE: Descrease value (i.e. 0.60 to 0.50) to increase brightness.  Note you are uncommenting this out in the original.

\ShadersHLSL\GPUTerrain.fx

Line 881:

BaseColor *= lerp( .38f, 1.0f, fAlpha );

Make sure you delete your shaders folder prior to running P3D: i.e. C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Shaders

Also make sure you backup the ORIGINAL files before editing.

Interested in feedback, but be sure to include your monitor(s) brand and model and what resolution you run at (not  your DSR resolution but actual).

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: this is based on a RGB color space, not YCbCr.

Rob Hi,

I cannot locate  BaseColor*=lerp(.38f,1.0f,fAlpha):

in \ShadersHLSLH\GpuTerrain.fx

Ahmet Sanal

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted"

Rob Hi,

I cannot locate  BaseColor*=lerp(.38f,1.0f,fAlpha):

in \ShadersHLSLH\GpuTerrain.fx

Did you open the right one ? - one is a fx file the other is fxh - its in the fx file for sure

===================================================================

I did not notice much of a difference but will play with darkness - brightness as Rob has stated - thanks Rob - keep these kind of tweaks coming

Rich Sennett

I opened the right one, still I dont see it. May be I opened with "Notepad"?? :wub:

Ahmet Sanal

I opened the right one, still I dont see it. May be I opened with "Notepad"??

Hmmm ... even with NotePad you should see that line of code??  ... Oh, I see, I didn't indicate the line number (edited) - sorry.

See line 881:

Original code

BaseColor *= lerp( .35f, 1.0f, fAlpha );

New code

These tweaks aren't "new", I'm just sharing the "combination" (key) of changes that worked well for me on my setup.

Cheers, Rob.

No problem is from my side. I dont think Notpad is the  right way to open this kind files. I opened but It doesnt shows  any  Line numbers like 881. What program do you use open this kind files?

Ahmet Sanal

Thanks very much Rob - notice a nice change in the range. Cheers!

BTW, things have been quiet on the western front from you and the others in the know...which usually means lots of secret squirrel stuff B). Anything you're allowed to discuss on what's in the works?!

No problem is from my side. I dont think Notpad is the right way to open this kind files. I opened but It doesnt shows any Line numbers like 881. What program do you use open this kind files?

if using Notepad, click VIEW | STATUS BAR. This will show you the line number in the status bar in the bottom.

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

What does this line do?

Increases the brightness of base textures so they provide more feedback to HDR.

Can you share the custom sky textures you're using, Rob?

I asked about this an apparently not ... but I think they are available here ... I think Mr. Sennett can point you in the right direction.

I opened but It doesnt shows  any  Line numbers like 881. What program do you use open this kind files?

I use UltraEdit, but Notepad will work fine, it's just a text file.  If you want to see what line your cursor is on in Notepad ... from Menu select View and enable Status Bar ... you'll see line numbers in the lower right corner, move your cursor to when it says Ln 882, Col1 ... or do a Find on text.

Cheers, Rob.

I asked about this an apparently not ... but I think they are available here ... I think Mr. Sennett can point you in the right direction.

Cheers, Rob.

OK, thanks Rob. By the way, I tried your HDR changes and love them. The default settings are much, much too dark in the daytime. Your settings are what they should be from the get go.  By the way, this is on two different monitors, an Asus ROG Swift PG278Q (TN panel 2560x1440) and LG 27EA63 (IPS panel 1920x1080.)

The values I would experiment with the most are:

avgLuminance *= 0.60f;

I've tried ranges from 0.50 to 0.95 ... I'm actually at 0.64 now after a little more testing, but this will be end user preference and be sure your monitor is fully warmed up before making any changes.

I've tried ranges from 0.32 to 0.40 ... I'm tittering back and forth between 0.37 and 0.38.

Best to experiment, make sure you delete your shaders folder after each change.  Also recommend you test ONE change at a time and test Dawn, Day, Dusk, and Night (also be aware of moon state, full moon will provide more light than 1/4 moon, etc.)

Cheers, Rob.

@Rob Ainscough

Hey brother, I tried out the tweaks but had to run, so I was only able to quickly delete shaders, start P3D, let it rebuild shaders and slew to about 5,000 feet. Right off the bat, my MSE photoscenery looked much brighter and clearer. Something similar to when one calibrates a TV's brightness/contrast and getting more shadow detail. I really liked what I saw.

Later tonight I will do a quick flight and check it out better.

Monitor: Samsung UN46ES6003 HDTV 1080P running at native 1920x1080x32 resolution in PC MODE.

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️