Sign in to follow this  
rene_1st

Simconnect Tutorial - P3D

Greetings Gentleman,

I have a notebook where I run secondary applications on a network to communicate with my main sim machine.

I already have Simconnect setup for FSX, but I cannot find any tutorials on setting up Simconnect for P3D.

Amongst others, I want to run Active Sky Next on my notebook via Simconnect.

I just purchased a new SSD where I installed P3D 2.4 (so clean install) and am setting things up now so that all is ready for when the T7 is released - hopefully this year still.

Your expertise would be greatly apprecaited.

Thank you and regards,
Rene

Amongst others, I want to run Active Sky Next on my notebook via Simconnect.

I just purchased a new SSD where I installed P3D 2.4 (so clean install) and am setting things up now so that all is ready for when the T7 is released - hopefully this year still.

Your expertise would be greatly apprecaited.

This really isn't the place for this because it has nothing to do with PMDG products (and not even by extension...yet, anyway).

Alas, SimConnect setup should be the same as it is in FSX, so just follow the references for setting up ASN over SimConnect for FSX (which is in their manuals).

Also: unless you have blazing fast wireless, or a wired connection, it's really not even worth setting ASN up over wireless. Weather radar performance will be noticeably terrible if you try to toss all that data across a wireless connection. Additionally wireless or wired, I had issues getting the program to trigger rain in the sim when it was on a separate computer, and I'm not network novice when it comes to firewalls and user account roles and privileges. That's not to say that my setup didn't cause the issue, but it's to say that it's not as straightforward as it might seem, even for someone who manages network security projects as a day job. ASN doesn't truly affect the performance of FSX that much when running the background unless you have a terribly old machine.

Kyle Rodgers

so that all is ready for when the T7 is released - hopefully this year still.

The 777 was released over a year ago.

This really isn't the place for this because it has nothing to do with PMDG products (and not even by extension...yet, anyway).

Alas, SimConnect setup should be the same as it is in FSX, so just follow the references for setting up ASN over SimConnect for FSX (which is in their manuals).

Also: unless you have blazing fast wireless, or a wired connection, it's really not even worth setting ASN up over wireless. Weather radar performance will be noticeably terrible if you try to toss all that data across a wireless connection. Additionally wireless or wired, I had issues getting the program to trigger rain in the sim when it was on a separate computer, and I'm not network novice when it comes to firewalls and user account roles and privileges. That's not to say that my setup didn't cause the issue, but it's to say that it's not as straightforward as it might seem, even for someone who manages network security projects as a day job. ASN doesn't truly affect the performance of FSX that much when running the background unless you have a terribly old machine.

Hi Kyle,

argh...why did I post this in the PMDG forum...thanks for the heads-up.

I am so hooked on keeping up to date with PMDG/P3D that my brain was on LNAV VNAV with incorrectly programmed FMC :)

Nonetheless, thanks for your input.

I have a 20mbps internet connection and have not had any problems with that speed as yet. I also require Simconnect for other programs that I want to run off of the notebook and not on one of my other three screens on the main rig.

The 777 was released over a year ago.

LOL...I know, I own her.

I meant for P3D ;)

I have a 20mbps internet connection and have not had any problems with that speed as yet. I also require Simconnect for other programs that I want to run off of the notebook and not on one of my other three screens on the main rig.

Yeah - I'm with you on the peripherals bit. If you look at some of my youtube videos, you'll note the "WideServer: waiting for clients" in the title bar. Granted, that's for FSUIPC, but that's an indicator that I do have a networked config. That being said, I did move ASN to the local machine for better performance overall (ASN is mostly a set-and-forget program anyway - I don't need to see it at all while in the sim).

Kyle Rodgers

LOL...I know, I own her.

I meant for P3D ;)
I am sorry for my post. That's what happens early in the morning when I can't put 2 and 2 together and see that it was the release for P3D. Again, I apologize.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "PMDG General Forum" to "The Prepar3d General Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.