Sign in to follow this  
Dave Morgan

Oh Lordy! At last!

Hi to you all.

This forum's getting a bit quiet isn't it?

Here are a few pictures to celebrate my recent purchase of a DVI monitor that lets that my Nvidia card do proper scaling. That means I can look at FU3 for more than five seconds without getting a headache and crossed eyes.

This one isn't very exciting - it's just the first FU3 screenie I've made for about three years, half way from Tacoma Narrows to the distressingly tiny runway at Diamond Point on a graphics test-flight. I was so chuffed to find it all works.

gfxtest_zps3637f18f.jpg

Thanks are largely due to Jon Point and his daughter Clare for this one:

claresvalley_zpsea4b3182.jpg

This is an old pic but it amuses me. A few years ago I followed a recommendation regarding atmospheric settings in fu3.cfg. This was the result of looking at the pretty sky instead of looking out for traffic. A bloody good thing I had one of those ballistic whole-plane recovery thingies although, as it happened, I didn't recover the whole plane. That's my wing:

chlorine_zpsfba1aff1.jpg

San Francisco night (there's a song in there somewhere) with a nice sky. Nicer still because it's the right shape.

sfon_zps2cecb0ad.jpg

Wafting into Yakima on a cold winter evening. I'd forgotten how rich the colours are at dawn and dusk.

winterevening_zpsfa8cb926.jpg

And my contraband hideout in the desert (actually at Sod House but don't tell the police).

sodhouse_zpsfc137e6b.jpg

Best regards,

Dave

FU3 was rather promising and ahead for it's time. Unfortunately, just like Propilot 99, it was swallowed by the market - a rather unfair fate for both of these extraordinary civil flight simulators...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Hi.

It was swallowed by Eidos, and sank with them... it was a sad day. I feel FU3's flight dynamics are still up there with today's best, despite being fifteen years old.

I spent the weekend immersed in this old friend (hence the pictures) and its associated file archives, and I'm astonished by the complexity of some of the mods I made before acquiring the bad monitor. I'd forgotten how much I'd forgotten!

Cheers,

D

Good to see there is still a spark left in the old FU3, I rattle it out occasionally and am still amazed at how good this sim is, especially on today's hardware.

Long live FU3!

Cheers,

Bruce H

Flight Unlimited was ( is ) indeed one of the best flight simulation platforms I ever used. Lot's of potential... Maybe one day, Peter James wins the lottery and can pick his project from where he was forced to leave it at...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

I have not used FU3 for around six years, but it's amazing to note that certain features have still not been surpassed to this day. Rain drops on the windows, floatplane physics, and even just the sound of rain hitting the roof of my plane have not been bettered as far as I can tell, and I suspect that there are more if I thought about it long enough. I had a great time with FU3 (and the FU2 San Francisco scenery) between 1999 and 2008 (when I used it exclusively).

I hope that all of the FU3 forum members are OK? I miss you, guys :(

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

And lot's of tiny modeling features, like the barber pole in the BeechJet adapting to g forces / bank angle, just lik IRL!

By that time not even the best add-ons for FS modeled that!

Weather effects, frontal system and even squall lines were yet unique features unique to FU3.

Main Simulation Rig: