Sign in to follow this  
vbazillio

Still no SLI support in nvidia 344.65 ;-)

Nvidia are a commecial company and will put its development work into those area which gives it the best return. That's presumably why Goat Simulator has SLI and PhysX while Prepar3d doesn't?

And there it is - in a nutshell! Thank you Gerry!

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Nvidia are a commecial company and will put its development work into those area which gives it the best return

Well, not sure about that ... nVidia indicated they go by end user feedback to set their priorities ... what nVidia don't know is how much money their end users spend on nVidia hardware.  Per Tom's demographic results, Flight Simmers are middle aged ... most likely with more disposable income and willing to buy high end GPUs.  So 100,000 FS'ers at average GPU purchase of $600  is equal to 300,000 Goat sim users at an average GPU purchase of $200.

So, lets assume 300,000 active FS'ers @ $600 each (dovetail's number of 280,000 sales in one year 2007, and ACES dev mentioned hitting 1 million mark in 2009) and 1 million Goat simmers @ $200 each.  If nVidia were truly interested in the commercial numbers then FS'ers would be VERY close to Goat Simmers in "valued customers".  But nVidia doesn't look at that type of data, they seem to be driven by feedback -- probably because they just haven't bothered to acquire the demographics data from the many folks that provide that data (for a fee).

What nVidia probably should be triggering off to optimize their commerical interest is:

1.  Demographics of who spends the most on GPU hardware

2.  What products are most in need of additional GPU performance (covers potential sales of multiple GPUs)

3.  Correlation between software and demographics 

I'm pretty sure nVidia aren't doing this ... personally "feedback" would be a small part in my list if it were about commercial interest, but it seems feedback is first on nVidia's list.

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: 300,000

I suspect Avsim would be able to weigh in on this. I'm pretty sure they can probably give a rough estimate of the general percentage of high end Gpu users based off of the "Your System" data they request.

I would be fairly surprised to find adaptation of upper-end Nvidia GPU's to be larger than that of your average high end gamer of the sort you might find at a site like Futuremark, for instance.

I would guess its by far the latest AAA games that push GPU sales rather than any sort of sim.

Or to be more succinct, how many titles, that would be recognized here as a "sim" are popular among the millions of actual and potential Nvidia users on Steam?

Heck, how many simmers are using Sli when for much of simming history, unlike with many high-end games, its been useless?

EDIT: Interestingly enough, I've seen it mentioned that MS Flight can get about a 40% or more boost with SLI

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Don't you just love those people who think they know Nvidia's business better than Nvidia does?

• Elite Dangerous – Added SLI profile
  •  
  • Escape Dead Island – Added SLI profile
  •  
  • Lichdom: Battlemage – Added SLI profile
  •  
  • Lords of the Fallen – Added SLI profile
  •  
  • MechWarrior Online – DirectX 11 Added SLI profile
  •  
  • Monster Hunter Online Benchmark – Added SLI profile
  •  
  • Ryse: Son of Rome – Added SLI profile
  •  
  • Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition – Added SLI profile
  •  
  • The Vanishing of Ethan Carter – Added SLI profile

I, for the most part consider myself "familiar" with most of the current gaming titles.  Funny thing is, the only one on this list I have heard any sort of buzz on is "Elite Dangerous" and from what I understand, it is still in Beta!  So don't tell me this is a numbers game.

This is why I have come to the conclusion that the "ball" is not totally in nvidia's court.  There have been ramblings on SLI ever since P3D 2.0 and still nothing.  

To me, anything on my system that is UNNECESSARY to it's operation is bloatware. GFE is a background process that monitors your system and uses that information for many things.

As a sim community we have spent years searching for the best FPS, smoothness, etc and one of the first tasks is always to disable any unnecessary bg processes. GFE is one of those.

Just like the backup monitors, etc - I update and backup my system once a month - after that I disable all unnecessary processes.

ANYTHING that runs as a bg process affects system performance. There is NOTHING that GFE does that I cannot do manually. I do not want any program doing auto updates on my system. NV themselves have come up with a few drivers over the years that ate some video cards.

IMHO, GFE is adware, bloatware and will have an effect on performance just as ANY running bg process will.AND it is unnecessary.Vic

Hi Vic,

I'm sitting here watching the list of Processes (120) running in Task Manager under Win7 64bit and over the past 30 mins 'System Idle Process' has hardly strayed from 99% and CPU usage remains at 0%. I must be doing something wrong as Prepar3D performance is very smooth with hardly a noticeable stutter.

Thankfully things have changed significantly since the days of WindowsXP. However, I continue to be careful about what is installed and I do disable most non-essential monitoring features offered by certain software and 8 items things are disabled at Startup. Other than well established routine maintenance operations I leave well alone and rarely encounter any significant issues. Like you, I backup once a month, or thereabouts.

I don't find GeForce Experience invasive and the only messages popping up from time to time are those advising me of available driver updates and applied optimisations for a few installed games. I never allow automatic driver updates. Yes, there are a few adverts, but they only appear in the GFE window while it is running and don't impede driver updating operations.

Driver updates under WindowsXP could be a pain in the butt. That is no longer the case under Windows7 and GeForce experience just makes it that much easier.

Works for me.

Regards,

Mike

I, for the most part consider myself "familiar" with most of the current gaming titles.  Funny thing is, the only one on this list I have heard any sort of buzz on is "Elite Dangerous" and from what I understand, it is still in Beta!  So don't tell me this is a numbers game.

This is why I have come to the conclusion that the "ball" is not totally in nvidia's court.  There have been ramblings on SLI ever since P3D 2.0 and still nothing.  

All of those games mentioned have a much larger potential audience than P3D, even if only by dint of most of them having console counterparts.

Publisher also has something to do with it, since if I was Nvidia and had to choose between supporting something from Crytek and something from LM, there would actually be no choice at all.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Don't you just love those people who think they know Nvidia's business better than Nvidia does?

Hi Gerry,

With such limited information as we have I believe we are perfectly entitled to make some educated assumptions about their thinking on this matter. Personally, I think that Rob, who has obviously given this a great deal of thought, is closest to the mark.

Do you have a dual card SLI setup? If not, then please allow the rest of us who have to realise our ambition of finding a way to maximize their potential in Prepar3D.

I believe NVIDIA can be persuaded, but only if we make our collective voices heard. Right now many reading this may have a one card setup, but may wish to upgrade in the future rather than pay the inevitable premium to acquire the latest single GPU. It would be great if the numbers could be swelled by everyone here joining in this campaign.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/455404-prepar3d-sli-support-i-have-a-dream-let-our-voice-be-heard/#entry3114178

Regards,

Mike

Works for me.

And therein lies the tale Mike.

Look, I know I'm being picky and if I actually installed GFE I'd probably not notice a difference at all but there are a lot of people with marginal systems running right on the edge and those users might get issues. I'm just presenting a different viewpoint and my rationale. By no means do I insist it is the only way that works.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Seriously since i install the new driver it seem to have a big difference on my PC dont know why but AA seem better and no stutter anymore.

In reality I suggest that SLI for Prepar3D is low on Nvidia's commercial priorities and will delivered when it suits Nvdia. It and has nothing to do the way some believe they know how Nvidia operates - they don't .

Goat simulator was released on 1 April 2014 and to date has almost 1 million sales in some 7 months. What's the comparable figure for Prepar3d?   As a clue, FSX peaked at 280,000 sales in one year 2007, which is equivalent to 160,000 sales in 7 months. Go figure.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/08/12/goat-simulator-makes-big-bucks-with-almost-one-million-sales/

I think SLI for P3D would be cool.

Just trying to see it from Nvidias side, though, and I honestly can't see any convincing reason for them to do it except charity, or they had some free time and it was really easy.  :unsure:

Devons rig

In reality I suggest that SLI for Prepar3D is low on Nvidia's commercial priorities and will delivered when it suits Nvdia. It and has nothing to do the way some believe they know how Nvidia operates - they don't .

Hi Gerry,

This is becoming a bit stale, don't you think? You have no more idea how NVIDIA base their decisions to offer SLI for a product than the rest of us, but your persistent negativity is certainly not helping the cause. At least the rest of us are trying to drive this forward. Any chance, after all that has been said, you can still be persuaded to join us?

SLI is possible now for Prepar3D. We should be putting our differences aside and joining together to encourage NVIDIA to provide support for those of their loyal customers who have chosen to install a dual card setup in the earnest and not unreasonable expectation that SLI would become a reality. Commercial interests aside I think our request should still be taken seriously and this is only likely to happen if they have a sense of the strength of feeling about this issue.

Come on, Gerry, please give us your backing and maybe then you might consider purchasing a partner for your existing card... when we have that elusive SLI profile!

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/455404-prepar3d-sli-support-i-have-a-dream-let-our-voice-be-heard/

Regards,

Mike

I think SLI for P3D would be cool.

Just trying to see it from Nvidias side, though, and I honestly can't see any convincing reason for them to do it except charity, or they had some free time and it was really easy. :unsure:

Hi HiFlyer,

I'm quite sure that no one here would wish to feel patronised by NVIDIA. Equally, I would hope that nobody at NVIDIA would even consider stooping so low. If we can be upfront and frank about what we need them to do for us then I feel confident that they will listen and be persuaded to act simply because it is the right thing to do.

Prepar3D is a major product in its own right and needs no charity or favours. It stands magnificently by all that its Developers have achieved to date. These achievements can only be enhanced with appropriate additional support from NVIDIA who design and manufacture the cards most of us have come to rely on.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/455404-prepar3d-sli-support-i-have-a-dream-let-our-voice-be-heard/

Regards,

Mike