Sign in to follow this  
vbazillio

Still no SLI support in nvidia 344.65 ;-)

And Beau Hollis says:

That seems one of the more realistic possibilities. If an existing working profile is out there in the wild, it might not be hard for Nvidia to clean it up and put an official sticker on it.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Maybe it's time for LM to "talk to the enemy".  Go to AMD and ask them for a highly tweaked P3D driver.

Surely Nvidia will notice a large part of 300,000 users heading out for highend AMD video cards cash in hand

because their P3D drivers work great.

FaxCap

Where did the figure of 300,000 come from?

I think that the last sentence from Beau has potential for hope: "I’ll circle back with Zach to verify the settings he used in his tests and ping nvidia again to see if they can get an official profile pushed out." (My emphasis)

Lyn

Where did the figure of 300,000 come from?

I think that was from Rob's assumption in post #32 in this thread.

Mike

I think that was from Rob's assumption in post #32 in this thread.

Mike

Then that's an over-estimate of the 280,000 figure from FSX in 2007, which is not really very realistic.

I could cry! Thanks Lyn, seems all we had to do was ask and we have 'Juicehead' to applaud for taking the initiative :)

Keeping in mind LM's recent poor track record for responding in their forums, I do have to wonder if this could be more than just a coincidence. Perhaps the current rumblings from Avsim have been reverberating over at Prepar3D HQ?

Whatever the reason, this is very welcome news indeed and, hopefully, will soon play out with a supplied official profile from NVIDIA.

However, I don't think we should be letting up just yet. We need to keep nudging NVIDIA in the right direction by ensuring this matter remains at the top of their intray:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/455404-prepar3d-sli-support-i-have-a-dream-let-our-voice-be-heard

With luck we could be very close to achieving our objective.

Fingers crossed!

Mike

Then that's an over-estimate of the 280,000 figure from FSX in 2007, which is not really very realistic.

Oh Gerry ... you crack me up ... ACE's confirmed they hit 1,000,000 sales in 2009, Dovetail said 280,000 in 2007 ... my 300,000 was a conservative "guess" on FSX/P3D active users ... is that the word you wanted to get out "guess"?   :)

Anyway, back to the land of the positive as I can't see eternal negativity as being productive ... it appears LM have responded.  So, lets hope nVidia respond.  But like I said, the ball is in nVidia's court ... that's not a guess ... just to clarify ;)  hehe

Cheers, Rob.

What amuses me is your PolyAnna approach to Prepa3d.

In 2007 Microsoft was still heavily marketing FSX and it could still could be bought on the shelves in the shops. How many of it buyers tried tried it that way,  didn't like it and dropped it. As you yourself said, you have of low opinion of typical simmers - particularly Americans.:

To summarize, in Europe and other parts of the world they have a higher educated interest in more complex software like flight simulators, in the US there is more interest in trying to kill a goat.

There are more realistic estimates of the continuing users of flight simulator rather than it misleading the headline sales.

John Venama of Orbx posted on  06 September 2011 - 12:26 AM

Amusing thread :)The actual (read: active, purchasing third party add ons) real FS enthusiast community is tiny. We estimate less than 40,000 active FS enthusiasts worldwide, across both the tube liner and VFR disciplines. We know this purely from tracking our sales data and also being aware of other developer's sales data which they share with us.Please don't use the number of registrations at AVSIM, Flightsim.com or other forums as any indication of the community size. That is a totally false assumption. The community is based on what they purchase, and 99.95% of FS enthusiasts purchase add ons for their sim, as well as enjoying the plethora of freeware available.So a reality check - it is somewhat arrogant to assume that we as the hardcore FS enthusiast community even feature in the target demographic marketing model for MS Flight at all. If anything, we are a noisy and unwelcome distraction to their end goal, which is to bring a simple Flight experience to a Mom and Pop audience counted in the millions, not tens of thousands.While we may feel MS pay attentions to forums such as these, the reality is they may cast it an idle glance, but they certainly don't use it as a guide for what their target demographic want from the new sim. Their complete lack of interaction with the hardcore community should have been a clear signal to all of you here some time ago. Persisting in the delusion that MS are actually involved in the FS community at all will just lead to frustration.I am sure we will all have a curious play with Flight when the demo is released. Until then neither FS enthusiasts nor developers have a clue as to what to expect other than some screenshots and videos.However, I do visit these forums quite a lot because the speculation makes for a lot of belly laughs :)

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/347293-flight-project-cancelledon-hold/page-6?hl=members%20active

In the past it was possible to analyse the activity of AVSIM's members - it was possible in the forums at that time.  I subsequently analysed this on 05 October 2011 - 04:00 PM

AVSIM's Forums have about 75,560 (3778 pages each with 20 members). Of those 54,640 have never posted and could be regarded as inactive members. That leaves only 20,920 members who have actually posted at least once. This suggests only 27% of members are active. It seems possible that Orbx's figures are in the correct ball-park.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/347293-flight-project-cancelledon-hold/page-26?hl=members+active#entry2126862

Mr Venemas description seems much closer to a reality that keeps getting buried again and again beneath aggressively wishful thinking........

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

What amuses me is your PolyAnna approach to Prepa3d.

I think you mean Pollyanna ... but close enough.

I have no opinion of typical simmers, I don't even know what a typical simmer is ... what I've seen is a wide variance of what is and isn't important to those that use flight simulators across the globe.  I've also seen a much higher interest in Flight Simulation from an International market ... a market that is statistically of higher education and has consistently scored higher in testing relative to the US.  I'm not saying you have to believe in the data, but assuming it's valid, it does present/provide a possible explanation of why a goat simulator (low on brain activity) is far more popular than a flight simulator (high on brain activity) in US.  I don't particularly like to see that the US rank very low on the education ladder relative to the rest of the world (it's kinda depressing) ... but this has no relationship on a "typical simmer" (even if I knew what one was) ... so please don't project what was NOT said or inferred to corral your endless negativity.   

That quote from John V. is going back a few years 2011 (pre MS Flight it seems).  Either way, John is providing data from his world (which at the time he didn't seem to happy with), but he doesn't have ALL 3rd party information is estimating also and speculating also ... but I can assure you I've had input from many sources outside of AVSIM, Orbx, Aerosoft, etc. that are active users of flight simulators ... the world's a big place -- YouTube has introduced me to just how big it is with users that have never heard of Orbx, AVSIM, Aerosoft ... so happy estimating/guessing.  

If you don't have a YouTube channel/account, set one up, post some videos and I think you'll be amazed at how much of a response you'll get without even trying to spread the word -- doesn't matter which, P3D, FSX, XP10.  John may only have 40,000 sales for 2011 but I can assure you the potential is much bigger ... like I said, there is no reason why Flight Simulator can't branch out to be much more than just about flight ... the basic 3D world is there and has the potential to be much much more in the future.

So rather than saying "nothing is happening", "there is no future", "the market will always be small", I don't because it doesn't motivate, doesn't help, isn't useful, isn't accurate, and has no purpose.  LM are interacting with users, they are providing product updates.  Is LM the size of the original ACES development team ... of course NOT, will they ever grow to be on the same scale as the 1000 devs that were involved in Crytek's Crysis products, probably not ... do they need to be?  No they don't ... we're all still here simming away.

Mr Venemas description seems much closer to a reality that keeps getting buried again and again beneath aggressively wishful thinking........

Aggressive wishful thinking or aggressive pessimism ... which one do you think got the US on the moon?

Cheers, Rob.

I submit that all this senseless argument over numbers is now irrelevant.

Following yesterday's revelation we now know that the facts are:

1) The LM Prepar3D Development Team have been progressing work on the provision of SLI.

2) The LM Prepar3D Development Team have been engaged with NVIDIA and NVIDIA, it seems, are intending to create an official SLI profile for Prepar3D.

I say again: Talk about Prepar3D end user numbers is, and I suspect always has been, completely irrelevant. Prepar3D, as a superlative programming achievement, stands on its own merits. NVIDIA, evidently, have acknowledged that fact.

Lets hope this can be put to bed sooner rather than later and we can all relax!

Mike

Aggressive wishful thinking or aggressive pessimism ... which one do you think got the US on the moon?

Cheers, Rob.

I tend to think of it more as reality vs fantasy. If one has to fudge, ignore or exaggerate to make a point, then there's a problem. Show me realistic business-based reasons confirmed by objective data why Nvidia should make P3D SLI a priority, and I will concede in an instant. Give me group-think, myth and wishful thinking contraindicated by years of hard reality, and I will balk every time.

I wont even believe myself if the data says otherwise.

Nvidia wanting to have good relations with a large company like LM? That I can believe. Nvidia impressed by the buying prowess of a tiny patch of nichedom? A harder sell.

Reality got us to the moon. Aggressive wishful thinking gets you early contact with the ground.

Devons rig

Well no ... there was NO data - it was all "educated" speculation back then and hoping their assumptions were correct and no surprises ... point being the data was being made as the journey progressed ... hence first to the moon.  If they looked at the data "so far" the intelligent choice would have been to NOT go to the moon with so many unknown variables.  Fortunately common sense was tossed aside and a new path was pioneered - long live optimism.

But there again, there are still people on this planet that don't even know we went to the moon and there are some that still don't believe we went to the moon and it was all staged.  If you think about it, the only real evidence for those types of folks would be if they themselves actually made the journey ... but hey, I'll be optimistic and say we did actually go to the moon. ;)

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: Either way, the size of this FS market is not really known by anyone or group ... so does that mean progress, attempts to get priority from nVidia, optimism, speculation should stop?