Sign in to follow this  
vbazillio

Still no SLI support in nvidia 344.65 ;-)

Pfft. We went to the moon cause we were in a teste-fest with the Russians and needed a way to one-up them. That was the aggressive wishful thinking part of it from the politicians

(Nice speech, Mr Kennedy)

Then engineers and others grounded firmly in reality had to deal with the facts and make it happen. Aggressive wishful thinking gets you squat in an orbital calculation, and it certainly didn't get Apollo 13 home.  :ph34r:

I Repeat: I think P3D getting SLI would be great. But if I was the executive in charge, I would want something a lot better to back up my resource allocation decision to shareholders than: Simmers deserve it.  :blink:

Just a general nod to good customer relations might do it, if it was cheap enough, but the reasoning would indeed veer very close to charity.

I hope you guys get it.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Either way, the size of this FS market is not really known by anyone or group

But at least John V. made an estimate based on sales of their products and probably information from other 3rd party vendors. But then again that was 2011 and both XP10 and P3d2 have rekindled interest in flight simming.

May I remind you all to the feedback function in GeForce Experience?

Please use it and express your wishes directly to them. If this will be done by many flight simmers perhaps nVidia finally will do something for P3D v2?

Spirit

Agree, send feedback ... it can't hurt and can only do good. 

Wow, good reading here.

I would like to throw in a thought about how important P3D really is for LockheedMartin as a company (as opposed to the importance to the P3D project team, which obviously is very dedicated). Let us check the LM website and browse through "who we are", "what we do" and the "news". Just to check what they have to say about their commitment to P3D and the flight simmers.

Now wait... nothing at all??? Not even a single word? It looks like this product doesn't even exist?

That's strange, isn't it? Guess there is still a lot of work to do to raise awareness.

LORBY-SI

Let us check the LM website and browse through "who we are", "what we do" and the "news". Just to check what they have to say about their commitment to P3D and the flight simmers.

Now wait... nothing at all??? Not even a single word? It looks like this product doesn't even exist?

That's strange, isn't it? Guess there is still a lot of work to do to raise awareness.

Found this:

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/us/what-we-do/aerospace-defense/training-logistics.html

There is no specific reference to Prepar3D as such, but this quote could be implying the use of Prepar3D as one of their training tools:

"Lockheed Martin also trains nearly 50,000 students per year around the world, providing highly experienced and effective instructors on the ground and in the air. And the company designs the very best in courseware and computer-based classroom training. Lockheed Martin provides each customer with an end-to-end solution designed to meet their needs in any of the three components of the training continuum - virtual, live, and constructive."

Mike

But as  nuitkati actually says, it doesn't mention Prepar3d - except perhaps in your imagination.

:)

Mike.

I have this little fairy tale in my head, about that LM division manager who comes home late friday night. He just returned from Washington, where he accompanied some chief LM executives in a futile attempt to negotiate some additional couple-o-billion $ for their troubled F-35 project. During the flight home, as per directive from the CFO he contemplated how many employees will have to be dumped and if he will be able to pay his mortgage through all of 2015.

At dinner his teenage son says " dad, there is no SLI profile from Nvidia for P3D, can't you do something about it?" "Don't know, son, what is a P3D? And who are those Nvidia guys?' 'well dad, you know. Nvidia is the company that does all the cool graphics hardware, that make my games look so cool' (dad sighs) 'And P3D, that's prepared: Come on, you know, with the 3 instead of the R' (dad shakes his head) 'dad, come on, the cool flightsim game your people at Lockheed are making.' (dads eyes suddenly open wide) 'They are doing WHAT???'

LORBY-SI

Nah..........

Its apparently already part of their training programs, which I assume means contracts have been signed and money exchanged.

The worst I could imagine would be that further development would be put on "hiatus", and even that is kind of an unnecessarily dark scenario.

Why look for trouble?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I would guess that buying into or leasing access to a commercial simulator would be a much more expensive option than developing their own training simulator in-house. I think Prepar3D's future is likely to be pretty safe for now... and for the foreseeable.

And, Nuitkati, if your fairy tale was ever to become a reality I would think that the LM Division Manager's position should be the first to go. Shame on him!

Mike :BigGrin:

Hi Mike,

P3D dev team is what, 10 people? That would mean about 2.5 million $ a year project budget, right? That's about 0.0055 percent of LMs total income. I seriously doubt anyone in the top echelons of LM management knows about its existence. I know they didn't in my company about my own projects, those were about that size too.

LORBY-SI

I seriously doubt anyone in the top echelons of LM management knows about its existence

+1

And that is exactly why Prepar3d is getting no attention from NVIDIA. And that is also something which was different with FSX. Microsoft's top management knew about FSX...

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Hi carlo,

thanks. And maybe that is a good thing too. Maybe just maybe there is another reason why the P3D team is careful not to call P3D "a game" and avoid the term "entertainment" like the devil avoids holy water. They may be covering their a$$es thinking of their own hierarchy. (apart from the requirements imposed by MS).

As I said, this is all in my head.

LORBY-SI