Sign in to follow this  
Parallel

Which addon should I get?

-- Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section, if so, please correct it by moving it to the right one --

I've got money for one, not for both, so which one should I get?

REX Essential+ Overdrive or

FSDT GSX

I need them both equally. 

I want to also make this clear, I do not have any other weather engines.

Thanks!

I need them both equally.

If you need them equally then just flip a coin. You can use the freeware HDEv2 (FSX version) sky and cloud textures for now and buy GSX. Personally I think the HDEv2 sky and cloud textures look better than the REX stuff anyway.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Neither, get a proper weather engine first and just use default textures or the HDEv2 textures.

I recommend either Active Sky Next of OpusFSI - a high quality weather engine is far more essential than REX or GSX

MSFS & XP11 - Aviatek G1000 Complex Desktop Trainer - Fulcrum One Yoke - TPR Rudder Pedals - VF TQ6 Throttle - LG 55" OLED Display

Neither, get a proper weather engine first and just use default textures or the HDEv2 textures.

I recommend either Active Sky Next of OpusFSI - a high quality weather engine is far more essential than REX or GSX

Sorry, that came out wrong, I do have Active Sky, not Next, but active sky 2012.

Then get the ASN upgrade first. The improvement is amazing. I use the AS2012 textures with it, so you don't 'need' a texture pack. This leaves you the cash to get GSX. REX can follow if you want...

Mike

Then get the ASN upgrade first. The improvement is amazing. I use the AS2012 textures with it, so you don't 'need' a texture pack. This leaves you the cash to get GSX. REX can follow if you want...

Mike

So.. Should I get ASN first then REX 4 and maybe GSX later?

Parallel ... I do not wish to be unkind but you are asking others to take responsibility for a decision you alone should take/make.  Isn't that unfair?  Particularly as you have received good advice already.

Though GSX looks cool I don't see the point in it as I usually get everything started push back and fly then I land taxi to the gate and exit the sim,  I don't stick around after the flight lol

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Parallel ... I do not wish to be unkind but you are asking others to take responsibility for a decision you alone should take/make.  Isn't that unfair?  Particularly as you have received good advice already.

Well, I already made the decision of buying asn then Rex first, I just reposted just in case there was anything wrong with the decision.

Though GSX looks cool I don't see the point in it as I usually get everything started push back and fly then I land taxi to the gate and exit the sim,  I don't stick around after the flight lol

LOL I agree and I admit, the animations for boarding, luggage loading, etc etc, are cool for the first few days but quickly wear off. I only use GSX now for it's pushback feature, which I think is superb. Even more so, knowing that it works in every airport, whether it's stock or 3rd party. Nonetheless, GSX is a nice product but in the OP's case, he should focus first on a good weather engine such as ASN, then upgrade textures with REX4 Texture Direct. Then if there is some $$$ left over, GSX will be a nice addition as well.

Regards,

Efrain Ruiz
LiveDISPATCH @ http://www.livedispatch.org (CLOSED) ☹️

It's all up to your expectation, actually. What's your priority? If it's to make your sim look cool, I'd say go for REX, but since you have a weather engine, I'd go for REX4 TD.

If you want functionality for your sim, to make your flights more realistic, the update to ASNext will be an awesome addition.

In the end it doesnt matter much, now you've got money for one thing and in a while you have money for the next and in the end you also have spend way too much money on your sim, as we all did. :P

But let's not forget, the sim in itself has it all. Maybe not the best and most beautiful, but you've got everything to start flying. So just ask yourself:'what do I want most at this moment?'

Cheers!

Maarten

It's all up to your expectation, actually. What's your priority? If it's to make your sim look cool, I'd say go for REX, but since you have a weather engine, I'd go for REX4 TD.

If you want functionality for your sim, to make your flights more realistic, the update to ASNext will be an awesome addition.

In the end it doesnt matter much, now you've got money for one thing and in a while you have money for the next and in the end you also have spend way too much money on your sim, as we all did. :P

But let's not forget, the sim in itself has it all. Maybe not the best and most beautiful, but you've got everything to start flying. So just ask yourself:'what do I want most at this moment?'

Its not really that I need to start flying, I always do. I just have some extra money left over to spend on FSX. I don't really spend money on addons anyway, I've only bought the PMDG 747-8, 400 and the 777 FTX global etc.. I just needed to upgrade my textures. 

Thanks for the help guys.

I think I've found out what I needed.

Lock Thread/