Sign in to follow this  
gman1986

New Flight Sim Rig

Hi all

I'm considering getting a new rig for FSX and hopefully XPlane. These are the components I've been looking at and I would be grateful for any feedback/suggestions on any of the items.

CPU I74790K

MOBO Asus Z-97 Pro

RAM Corsair 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz Vengeance Pro Kit

GFX EVGA GTX 980

Cooling Corsair H110

PSU Corsair RM850W

Case Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Full Tower ATX Case

HD1 Seagate 2TB Barracuda Internal Hard Drive

HD2 Samsung 500GB SSD 840 EVO

My main concerns are the motherboard and whether or not I will be able to pick up my wifi on it and also the RAM as they currently don't have this in stock, can anybody make any other recom,endations?

Any help is gratfully appreciated

Gavin

Gavin Price

Nice rig, why do you have to go with Corsair? If they don't have the particular Corsair ram you are looking for, there are lots of good brands out there with ram compatible with your system.

One question, do you need a "Pro" board? I am an Asus fan and found that their standard boards are excellent, both as far as OCing and reliability is concerned. The Asus Z97A board is about $80 cheaper.

Regards,

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I had read some good reviews on the corsair sticks so thought I'd go for them. Same for the Z-97 Pro.

I ordered the rig last night can't wait to set it up this weekend!

Gavin Price

I would go with a GTX 970 and overclock it to 980 levels. Save yourself some cash.

I did contemplate the 970 as I'd heard that it was ample enough for fsx. But I'm planning on hopefully migrating away from FSX to either XP or P3D so thought I'd get the 980, plusI wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to overclock a gpu.

Gavin Price

Evga Precision - easy as pie

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I would wait for the 8GB version of the gtx 980 if you are planning to go over to P3D, it's due out any week now.

Jim

Jim Vasto

I would wait for the 8GB version of the gtx 980 if you are planning to go over to P3D, it's due out any week now.

Jim

That thing sounds like a beast. Trouble is you probably need a mortgage for that one.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

That thing sounds like a beast. Trouble is you probably need a mortgage for that one.

Its cost 4 tires and brake job on my car. Get 970 because gotta eat still pay to heat home for winter.

Hello all again

Just another question. Once I have built my new system I would like to utilise my old system to to run programmes externally like ASN and Radar Contact etc. However I'm limited for space and would have to downsize from a full gaming case. Is there any way of doing this with my current rig-

I7920

Asus P6T Deluxe

GTX580.

Again, all advice is much appreciated.

Gavin

Gavin Price

I would go with a GTX 970 and overclock it to 980 levels.  Save yourself some cash.

And Overclock the 980 to higher levls.

The 970 is a great cheap card , but not an overclocker compared to a 980.

If you not like to overclock Videocards go for 970 and for overclockers be ware of the weak vrm.