Sign in to follow this  
dokelly07

I converted....a little help needed

Hi all.

I am a recent convert over to the world of P3D.  I am quite pleased at this point, but wanted to share what I am running, software/add-on wise in hopes that any advise can be given.

I used full screen mode in FSX and the 1/2 refresh rate fix to achieve amazingly smooth, absolute stutter free performance.  I have tried about everything under the sun with P3D, but due to my nvidia 690 and fullscreen not being "true" fullscreen, the 1/2 refresh rate fix does not apply to P3D.  Therefore I have stutters.  I have tweaked slider settings, tried vsync in game, and tried the FFTF=0.01 etc....to no avail.  They were definitely minimized, but not gone.  I am running around in ORBX land and have every one of their region packages.  I also run 40 percent GA traffic using their GA traffic addon for their regions.  I am flying VFR only and using the stock aircraft at the moment as none of my realair planes have been converted over to P3D.

I read that many are getting rid of the stutters, so other than trying the FFTF tweak, what else have you guys found eliminates or almost eliminates them?  I am also using the optimized (lower res) cloud sets from REX and have left ALL ASN settings at their installed defaults.

I am running ASN for weather generation, REX essential for cloud and sky textures, and as stated above, orbx sceneries.  Nothing more.  

I tried to get A2A accu-feel to work, but it would crash the sim 50% of the time due to it not being supported officially I am assuming.  I would get a .dll crash, and yes I did modify the dll as instructed by several forum posts.  Sometimes it would work fine, other times it would crash - so I removed it altogether.

I appreciate the advice of anyone running a similar setup to mine.....VFR flying low and slow.  My hardware specs can be found in my profile.  Thanks for the help all

Dan - 

hi Dan,

same system specs here, just no OC. Only thing that worked for me was changing  the GPU to a 780 ti. Unstuttered P3D like magic.

Accu Feel: what kind of errors do you get? I'm using Accufeel too, not even tweaked. But I too have crashes, never thought that could be related.

LORBY-SI

Thanks for the quick reply...

Hmm...a 780...I cannot see myself making a jump vid card wise as this 690 is quite a beast and I would need a couple of 7 series cards to justify the leap.  I am even considering holding out past the 9 series cards for it to make financial sense.  I wonder if my card and yours are incredibly different (architecture wise).  Are you using the most up to date drivers?  Thanks.  

I looked at what was causing the crash and it pointed to the Accufeel module in the DLL.  I scoured their website for support and it seems they have no interest in releasing a P3D compatible version which is quite disappointing.  Like I said...it will run most of the time, but crashes about 50 percent of the time which can be annoying.   

The 690 is two 680s in SLI. Since P3d scales very poorly in SLI (maybe a 25-30% increase over a single 680, if that), your only option is to turn down some settings in P3d.

I have turned down sliders in batches and one at a time.  I have yet to find anything that gets rid of the occasional jitters.  Its not rhythmic....and does not seem to have anything to do with scenery intensity.  it happens when getting over a hundred fps out in the middle of nowhere.  It does the same thing FSX did prior to the 1/2 refresh rate fix.  I even switched back to stock clouds....quite a bummer when I can fly at 60fps minimum all over the joint...

Im happy to fly and ignore it due to the nice image quality of P3D - however I was hoping maybe someone with it running ultra smooth could share their slider settings.....thanks.

Dan

Did you uncheck the enhanced overcast effects in ASN? I've heard this can cause stutters too and I think is on by default.

I just got P3D last week and have a weaker system then you so I'm going thru the same motions right now. Lucky for me though, the FFTF 0.01 setting seems to have made a world of difference for me. Still some stutters but mostly smooth. Have nvidia set to 1/2 refresh rate and frames locked internally to 20. No vsync or triple buffering.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Reporting back in.  I used reverse logic.  It worked with FSX so I was thinking.....hmm.  I jacked up both building and vegetation autogen to the max far right setting.  I left scenery complexity at Dense.  I remember reading that in FSX if you lowered autogen settings on a system that could handle max - it would actually add stuttering.

I just flew with that being my one and only change and it seemed to have worked.  Im not sure if it is the real cause for my now smooth flying but maybe its worth a shot for others.  I will report back in if I see a difference and it was indeed a fluke.

I jacked up both building and vegetation autogen to the max far right setting

Have also done this and it improves the look and strangely, the smoothness of P3D in flight.

Not sure how or why.

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg

Have also done this and it improves the look and strangely, the smoothness of P3D in flight.

Not sure how or why.

It sure is fun to start a thread asking for help, only to potentially find a solution on your own.  Oh well...if thats what it took - so be it.  I actually was following jabloomf1230's advice on turning down the sliders, when I noticed that turning them all the way down did nothing to solve my issue....so I thought - why not crank them up, remembering it worked for me with FSX.  

I am going to tweak ASN this evening and see if I can smooth things out even more.  Orbx scenery can bring good boxes to their knees, so I am quite happy at the moment.  If I gain no more, things are still much nicer than they were in FSX land.  

Any more tweaks or thoughts....let me know.  Are you running REX clouds?  That is still my only concern.  I am thinking of going with Texture Direct, but I have essential at the moment.  Not sure it would be worth it - from a performance perspective.

My crash reports unfortunately point to all kinds of dlls. dxinput for example. I will try without Accufeel, see what happens. Thanks!

LORBY-SI