Sign in to follow this  
TheNerd

Disable Scenery When Not in Use?

Hello!

I have quite a bit of addon scenery and I realize that this takes up memory and can lower framerate even when you're far from it. Is there some kind of program that I can use to disable the scenery before setting up a flight? I think I've found some programs that can do that, but I'm not so sure.

Any help is appreciated  :BigGrin:

Thanks,

Phil

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

Hello Phil,

As posted above, this tool allows you select/de-select scenery you are not planning to use . What I have done is separate the world and my regions/airports into different geographical areas. Of course you can do this down to country-level as well but I found regions e.g Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Asia, North America, Canada/Alaska etc. a good compromise.

One note: This tool works well when adding new scenery however Orbx scenery tends to mess around with the scenery.cfg file so I always keep a back-up copy of this file.

Regards,

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

I guess I'm rather simplistic, but I just go into the the scenery library in the FSX UI one time and unselect all my sceneries except for the few that I am going to use for that flight, then hit save and go back to the main menu and setup from there. Since everything was unchecked except for the last few sceneries, the next time I start FSX I just uncheck those that I won't need and check the ones I will need for that flight and go.

The way I look at it, whether you use and external program or use the FSX UI, you are still going to have to be selecting or unselecting sceneries for that flight. For me it just seems as easy to do it from within FSX without having to open another program prior to opening FSX to do it.

Either way it ends up working out the same. I do use a program to rearrange scenery layers though which should not be done from within FSX.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I think how much you benefit from disabling scenery comes down to what type of scenery you have installed.

I don't use any photo scenery and when I did some testing in the past I saw very little improvement by disabling scenery.

Richard Åsberg

I was gonna use the program SierraDelta suggested, but the program wouldn't install properly. I'm thinking about doing what cmpbellsjc is doing, but what do you click in FSX? I assume it's "Delete Area."

I like this program a lot. It allows you to set up different scenery areas to fly in and only load the scenery for those areas. It helps a lot in FSX because it reduces VAS by not loading tons of sceneries you are nowhere near. They have just updated it for P3D as well. Once you set it up it is very easy to use, just select the area, press the button and go.

http://aviation.pero-online.de/wordpress/?page_id=105

Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

I'm thinking about doing what cmpbellsjc is doing, but what do you click in FSX? I assume it's "Delete Area."

Don't delete it, just unclick the check mark in the box on the left.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I don't bother with the Scenery Editor. I just tick and untick relevant areas in the Scenery Menu for each flight.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I've got over 300 sceneries, that's a lot of sceneries to untick!

:lol:

Lee

300  :Shocked:

I thought I had a lot!

Well, you know, I have to support ORBX and a few others! That Simstarter program comes in handy.

:P

Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

I love Simstarter.  It sorted my sim out. :Applause:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60GHz. RAM 32 GB 1 500GB SSD and 1 2TB HDD NVIDIA RTX2080Ti 11GB WATER COOLED

Just be careful not to use the SceneryConfigEditor to enable/disable FTX/Orbx scenery. Do that through their utility only. You can run into a lot of problems. Of course, that applies too if you enable/disable scenery through the Scenery Library.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10