Sign in to follow this  
Mickel

Asking too much?

Folks

I've had a go at flying from FBs PHX to DEN in both the NGX and AS A319. OOM'ed on downwind both times. Not overly surprised really, but has anyone else tried and succeeded? ASN with four cloud layers. Mid range autogen.

Obviously I can crank down settings, but I'd rather not.

Cheers

Mike

I'm going to have to study up on my acronyms.

I know PHX is Phoenix

DEN is Denver

And I'm guessing that AS A319  is Active Sky Advanced V. 319. and ASN is Active Sky Next.

But what is "FBs"  "NGX" and "OOM"?

Thanks.

I'm going to have to study up on my acronyms.

I know PHX is Phoenix

DEN is Denver

And I'm guessing that AS A319  is Active Sky Advanced V. 319. and ASN is Active Sky Next.

But what is "FBs"  "NGX" and "OOM"?

Thanks.

FB's is Flightbeam, a scenery dev. NGX is the name for the "Next Generation" Boeing 737's, the 6/7/8/900 vatiants. OOM is out of memory. FSX is an old program and the code is pretty poor. Essentially when you load too much, it runs out of available memory and crashes.

Right, as for the main question. What are your specs? Have you changed your MAX_TEXTURE_LOAD to 2048/4096, if you have bring it back down to 1024. Load radius? Keep it on the large setting within FSX, it wasn't designed to run higher than that, and it takes a miracle to fly a decent flight with it. As for the rest just tone down textures and stuff a bit, gradually bring everything down in small increments, although autogen and clouds are two large killers in terms of performance.

LOD radius is the largest default available (6.5?)

Texture load at 2048. Clouds aren't high def because I don't see the point outside of the screenshot artists.

That's interesting... What happened to the old 'my specs' and 'my sim' buttons? W7 64 and excess RAM. The rest won't help the OOM thing.

As I said, I'm not surprised that it happened. The main reason I'm asking whether anyone else has done it on moderate settings is because when I first went from LGA to IAD I had an OOM and found the cause to be duplicated bgls. When I dealt with them it was fine again. There are plenty of other places I can get to Denver from, and this route would simply be a nice to have.

Cheers

Mike

NGX is the name for the "Next Generation" Boeing 737's, the 6/7/8/900 vatiants.

Actually, the NGX would be the PMDG 737NG variants for FSX, as the Next Generation 737s are just known as the NG.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

LOD radius is the largest default available (6.5?)

Cheers

Mike

The highest default in fsx is 4.5

Bert

The only OOM I've ever had on Win7 x64 was at the end of a flight from KMIA to PANC by Aerosoft using a complex beta test aircraft.  AS PANC is brutal on memory and coupled with ASN generating fog and a dense low overcast and 4096 textures it was just too much. FSUIPC was pinging like a trolley bell on approach.  As far as Flight Beam goes, his airports are generally really good on memory usage and I've never had an issue with them using any high end aircraft like the NGX, T7, and so on...

DJ

Folks

I've had a go at flying from FBs PHX to DEN in both the NGX and AS A319. OOM'ed on downwind both times. Not overly surprised really, but has anyone else tried and succeeded? ASN with four cloud layers. Mid range autogen.

Obviously I can crank down settings, but I'd rather not.

Cheers

Mike

Yeah I done this flight in the NGX with the same sceneries and actually continued on to FSDT'S KDFW landed and then went to the FSDT KIAH with no problem.

I use no textures over 1024 for clouds or water, resized my NGX textures to 1024 for the exteriors, keep most photo scenery turned off that is not needed for the flight, all AI planes are mip mapped, and resized some of my textures that come with those sceneries to 1024 from 2048 or 4096. I also run LOD at 4.5 which is the highest stock setting.

I've flown the NGX almost everywhere into and out of all kinds of add on airport and never had an OOM with that recipe. Same with the PMDG T7 that I do a lot of transcon and trans-Atlantic flights and never OOM. ASE is also used on all flight with max 4 cloud layers.

AS PANC is brutal on memory and coupled with ASN generating fog and a dense low overcast and 4096 textures it was just too much.

I had to do a lot of texture resizing at AS PANC to make it reasonable. It came with a folder of smaller textures but still had to resize some of the ones they didn't include in the 1024 folder.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks all. I'll wind back to 1024 textures, and cut the AI some more (I don't have much anyway). LOD must be 4.5 then because I only used the slider setting, not a tweaked cfg.

I wonder if there is something up with bgls and what not. I might go dig some more. I'll also have a go in reverse.

Mike