Sign in to follow this  
snapitbik

Please Need Help and Advise new video cards

Hi Guys, 

Its so sad to say that just this morning my new Graphics card arrived which is GTX 970  and i removed my GTX 580sli  and install new card and when i turn on from the begining bios screen Corrupted screen appear, Please check the link 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ape9kouoho10ruj/Corrupt%20Dialog.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mj0o4b15jmy2x27/20141111_124052.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8mkkqz69vetn3e/20141111_124021.jpg?dl=0

Though same corrupted screen appear on Bios too, which i haven't included the pictures, and i again update bios  and check back same issue.

Now my Question is Is this Card Faulty or Something Else, Before going that i used to have GTX 580 SLI  which has 8 and 6 Pin so what i did is that  on the new card is the  same pin connector the Eight pin can be separated to Six Pin where Two pin is Separated and so on i plugged 6 pin connector to new GTX so is that the issue which makes card faulty please check the pictures which i used to have pin already connected to my power supply, 

Please check the link for picture of  my current Pin connector, is there anything wrong separating 2 pin and from 8 pin and connecting to new card, 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ja1ozja9oxia7e9/ha.jpg?dl=0

Please anything wrong connecting those pin to new GTX please need advise,, ASAP so i can send it for RETUN ASAP 

Best Regards

Is the new card 6 plus 6?

Is so, plug both six pin connectors into the card.

Separating 2 from 8 to create a six pin is ok.

Bert

Thank you for reply 

the new card is 6 pin + 6 pin  connector  and i was worried is it because of the connector misuse so the card is not working, 

Best Regards

Thank you for reply 

the new card is 6 pin + 6 pin  connector  and i was worried is it because of the connector misuse so the card is not working, 

Best Regards

Snap cant see your pics - links not working use tinypic.com and post them here so other can see it - I dont think its your card but need to see your pics

Rich Sennett

hi richard 

Thank you for your reply plz follow the links  and let me know asap thank you very much 

What brand of video card did you get - is it evga ?

Have you made sure you have the correct plugs from the power supply hooked up correctly

If so you would want to get a graphics card driver cleaner and reinstall video drivers - you did this right ? you need to do this when changing video cards - you just cant plug it in and hope the old driver works Uninstall your current driver and use a video driver cleaner (check guru3d for one) I use payware (drivercleaner.net) then reboot and load the new drivers for you new card

Rich Sennett

Hi richard, 

At first  before installing new card i uninstall the driver related to nvidia everything,  the card is EVGA,  at first when i insert new card and switch on  begining of screen on BIOS at first there was corrupt screen, then i just ignore it and let it run windows completly and check my display driver it show VGA card 800 x 600 even on  corrupt screen i manage to see. When i try to  update display driver it wont, it wont find nvidia geforce card its just find VGA 800 x 600 , and  after a awhile it start smelling bad like burning and card was getting to hot too. so i better turn it off before making worst,  The card was very hot,,    

My concern was before i used to have GTX 580  8 + 6  pin power connector,   so i just separate 2 pin from 8 pin and make 6 + 6  connect to new GPU  was that step ok  as i spoke already on one of expert on forum he says it is fine, so i dont know what was the wrong, my power supply is corsair ACX 1200. i did change the PCi express 16 slot to another slot still same problem, so is the card faulty

Best Regards

You may have to update the motherboard bios and drivers - thats a great power supply I have one - you do not want to move the card around to different slots - it only belongs in the main fast pic slot - you do not mention your motherboard manufacturer ? make sure your using pci power cables from the power supply and they are coming from the correct areas of the power supply as they can be interchanged 

Rich Sennett

Why would the card get hot?

This is without putting any load on it, correct?

Is the fan on the card turning?

Bert

You may have to update the motherboard bios and drivers - thats a great power supply I have one - you do not want to move the card around to different slots - it only belongs in the main fast pic slot - you do not mention your motherboard manufacturer ? make sure your using pci power cables from the power supply and they are coming from the correct areas of the power supply as they can be interchanged 

Hi Richard,  Motherboard is Sabertooth x79  updated to Latest Bios 4801 and i am using PCI-E Cables coming from Power supply.   hmmm 

Why would the card get hot?

This is without putting any load on it, correct?

Is the fan on the card turning?

yes thats the point i was worried if i may have incorrectly plug in power but the display is still there and the fan also working, 

Hi Richard,  Motherboard is Sabertooth x79  updated to Latest Bios 4801 and i am using PCI-E Cables coming from Power supply.   hmmm 

yes thats the point i was worried if i may have incorrectly plug in power but the display is still there and the fan also working, 

Try a different cable from your video card to your monitor - maybe the cable is going bad - happens all the time - (try both dvi openings on the back of the video card) - also are you using dvi cable - try display port - trying to eliminate some of the possible problems

Rich Sennett

The card is fried and should be sent back to EVGA for evaluation/replacement. His post #7 is pretty clear to me that some component on the card failed --

"and  after a awhile it start smelling bad like burning and card was getting to hot too. so i better turn it off before making worst,  The card was very hot,,"

Either a bad part on the card or a wrong power connection would be my guess.

I have a EVGA GTX970 FTW and the cautions for having the right power supply connections were stated pretty clearly in the directions.

Lyn

I have a EVGA GTX970 FTW and the cautions for having the right power supply connections were stated pretty clearly in the directions.

Hi Mazo,  i understand what you mean what am i saying is that i connect power supply which i  used to have  which is 8 pin and 6 adapter on which i 2 pin can be separated of 8 pin, which you can see in pics 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ok6unmak00ai8hw/20141111_130213.jpg?dl=0

Thank you 

My main concern is that the card got very hot and you could smell the burnt electrical odor. I would suggest that you remove the card and take a smell of it. If it has the burnt smell then I would think that there is a problem there. (The reason I suggest to remove the card to check the smell is that if there is a different component in your computer that is the cause of the smell, it is very had to isolate where the odor is coming from.)

Your power connections may very well be correct and then it would be an issue with a defective part on the card that failed.

Good Luck!

Lyn