Sign in to follow this  
CaptKornDog

Has anyone successfully, reliably used DX10+SweetFX+KB2670838?

Hello all,

I'm finally dipping my toe into DX10 with FSX. While I'm still a bit hesitant, it certainly seems promising for VAS usage and being up to bump those graphics sliders up a touch.

I'm wondering though, has anyone been able to use FSX with DX10, in conjunction with SweetFX (any version), and have Windows Update KB2670838 without a d3d11.dll CTD? I get them maybe 1 out of every 5 flights but they are quite unpredictable. Could be a short VFR flight or a trans-Pacific long-haul. Yep, I've read the AVSIM CTD guide and acknowledge the most common fix is to either uninstall SweetFX or KB2670838. Unfortunately, uninstalling KB2670838 is not really an option for me (so I'd likely have to sacrifice SweetFX).

Uninstalling KB2670837 uninstalls IE11 for me (which I need...hard to admit it when I primarily use FireFox), and also causes a lot of weird Windows Explorer behavior (for instance, opening a new folder or file opens another iteration of Windows Explorer, despite this setting disabled).

I have nVidia drivers for my 780 that came out a few days ago and have all other Windows Updates installed. Was using the FlightFX GUI but am now trying just SweetFX 1.5.1 and its configurator. I'm seeing several people report they've had "no problems" so I'm wondering if I'm missing a step.

Thanks!

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Unfortunately, not really. Are you pointing out that KB2670838 is a prerequisite for IE10, IE11 (which, I agree, yes it is), or something else?

Actually I take this back, even without SweetFX/ENB, I'm experiencing d3d11.dll crashes.  Has anyone successfully been using DX10 with KB2670838?  Unfortunately, I need KB2670838 for Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer on my system.

I've been using DX10 for about 10 months now and I already had the KB2670838 update installed. Never had an issue with it. When I tried to use Sweetfx however, the dreaded CTD popped it's head up. But I've finally managed to figure it out. The first thing I did was to uninstall the update, but I actually don't believe the root of the problem lies there. I think it's to do with the anti aliasing settings.

I disabled Sweetfx anti aliasing, and used inspector and FSX to do that for me, and voila, no more CTD's. I'll attach a screenshot of my NI settings, and also don't forget to leave AA checked in FSX, even though my NI settings may suggest otherwise, if I don't check it, I don't get any AA and that doesn't look too great!

uR8mn.jpg

Let us know how that works for you!

Cheers!

I've been using DX10 for about 10 months now and I already had the KB2670838 update installed. Never had an issue with it. When I tried to use Sweetfx however, the dreaded CTD popped it's head up. But I've finally managed to figure it out. The first thing I did was to uninstall the update, but I actually don't believe the root of the problem lies there. I think it's to do with the anti aliasing settings.

You had KB2670838 installed but then wound up uninstalling it?  Or you reinstalled it at some point?

You had KB2670838 installed but then wound up uninstalling it?  Or you reinstalled it at some point?

It was already installed in my system while I was running FSX in DX10 without any issue. But when I started using Sweetfx and was doing some research on the CTD issues, I saw that it had a few issues with that particular update so I uninstalled it. Doesn't get rid of the CTD though because I can replicate it very easily by switching on the Sweetfx anti aliasing options.

Hmm, never had SweetFX antialiasing on when I did use it previously.  Everything handled through Inspector before (and now) and I'm still seeing the d3d11 CTDs maybe 1 in every 4 flights.

Rolled back my nVidia driver to a previous version as well and the same result holds, unfortunately.