Sign in to follow this  
Paul12

Could a flight simmer take off with a real 737 ?

Suppose a flight is entered into the CDU and the simmer would only hand fly to 800 feet using the flight director indications

and then activate the autopilot..( of course use VNav,LNav and autothrottle )

Is this feasible and if not,why.

In my opinions it should be doable.

What do you think ?

HubertWerni

Herbert Werni

It's all the old same answers from the "Can you land a real 737?" thread, but in reverse.

I think we need to get all these answered:

Can you ascend to FL10 in a real XXX?

Can you descend to FL10 in a real XXX?

Can you navigate an ascending 360 in a real XXX?

Can you navigate a descending 360 in a real XXX?

Can you perform a stall recovery in a real XXX?

Can you recover from an engine out in a real XXX? two engines out? three engines out? all engines out?

After that we'll know who the real pilots really are! 

Suppose a flight is entered into the CDU and the simmer would only hand fly to 800 feet using the flight director indications

and then activate the autopilot..( of course use VNav,LNav and autothrottle )

Is this feasible and if not,why.

In my opinions it should be doable.

What do you think ?

HubertWerni

Have you ever flown a real plane? If not then it would end with a large burning hole where a 737 used to be. I've flown everything a C-152 Cessna to a DC-3 in real life and I'm not sure I could take a 737 off unless I had some training first. Flight sim doesn't prepare one at all for real flying save for IFR practice. Which is why pilots are required to learn to fly in the real thing and not sims. I'm currently in college so I don't get to fly much and I get very rusty even though I fly flight sim almost every day.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

It's all the old same answers from the "Can you land a real 737?" thread, but in reverse.

I think we need to get all these answered:

Can you ascend to FL10 in a real XXX?

Can you descend to FL10 in a real XXX?

Can you navigate an ascending 360 in a real XXX?

Can you navigate a descending 360 in a real XXX?

Can you perform a stall recovery in a real XXX?

Can you recover from an engine out in a real XXX? two engines out? three engines out? all engines out?

After that we'll know who the real pilots really are! 

I think you missed my point,please read the post again.

Thanks

Herbert Werni

To answer this question AGAIN, any sim pilot can fly any 'real' plane in any and all configurations and flight segments... all the way to the scene of the crash.

Jay

I think you missed my point,please read the post again.
Thanks

No, I got your point. It's the form of the same ol': "Could a flight simmer do X, Y or Z in a real live plane." asked and answered again, No, they could not take off, land, fly, turn, navigate, turn on the wipers, put the seatbelt sign on, close the main door, contact ATC, or adjust the seat, or anything else in a real jet, without prior live training and flight simming with our software is not live training. 

They could however order a coffee from the galley.

No, they could not take off, land, fly, turn, navigate, turn on the wipers, put the seatbelt sign on, close the main door, contact ATC, or adjust the seat, or anything else in a real jet, without prior live training and flight simming with our software is not live training.

I think most experienced simmers could probably hand fly a 737 once airborne, maybe not with a great degree of accuracy, but doing simple turns probably wouldn't be too bad. Hand flying an approach would probably be a whole lot worse, especially without some stick time in any type of real a/c. I have no doubt that they could turn the wipers and seat belt signs on however.

I've never flown anything larger in real life then a 172 which I have about 60 hours in. However, when I was younger I got two hours of flight time in an F-4 simulator at the now closed George AFB in Adelanto, CA. At the time I only had about 10 hours of real flight time in a 152 that I was training in and umpteen hours in the older flight sims. Anyways, I was actually able to fly the F-4 sim pretty well considering my limited real stick time. Granted it wasn't a 737 but it was a professional USAF sim that the base F-4 pilots trained in and the takeoff and landing speeds were pretty high in relation to a 737, but hand flight it wasn't all that difficult. I actually landed the darn thing pretty well also, much to the surprise of the instructor who was sitting at the control panel running the deal.

I think it's really hard to say yes or no to the OP's question. I think some people are more adept to flying than others and some people are naturally blessed with the skills to be able to do things like this with minimal instruction.

Having said that, would I want to go jump in an F-4 or 737 alone and try to take off and land one in real life? He'll no, but I would be willing to try it if I had an IP with me. I'd be interested to see how well I could do.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I was at the airport once and saw planes take off and land. I think I am qualified to activate the autopilot... :P

Edited for speeling

Visit the tribe @ http://islandsim.com

Yes definitely. Enough of PMDG flying will teach you how all the main systems operate, if you have the aircraft set correctly all you need to do is to pull back from the stick after you have gained enough speed. 

How well you would do once you are up in the air & when you have to come down and land, that's a different thing. 

I am sure I could, all you need to do is press F4 and pull back at rotate.

...wait there is an F4 key in the real cockpit, right?

If you are a serious flight simmer probably you could take off and land a B737. Once I landed a King Air B200 perfectly and took-off and land twice a Citation Mustang.

These airplanes are not difficult to fly. Off course that a type rate pilot for these airplane requires much more than just fly them, they need to be trained and know the system and emergency procedure.