Sign in to follow this  
ComSimPilot

Simple clouds 'fix'

Hello guys,

I am trying as many of you I suppose to find the best settings for my system. My system consists of an Hydrocooled i5 3540k processor, overclocked at 4.4Ghz, 8GB of RAM and a Gigabyte GTX970 G1 GPU. I should also note that I use TrackIR 5 and ASN.

I am running FSX DX10 using Steve's fixer. I usually fly PMDG's and Aerosoft's airliners and use FTXG and add-on mesh terrain.

I use the ''How-to'' to set everything up.

The problem is that when using complex add-on sceneries and especially newest Heathrow Xtended I get many stutters.

During turns when on taxi and especially when looking to my left after takeoff the stuttes are very bad.

So, I realised that I could use

autogen density and complexity to MAX

LOD to 4.5

MESH complexity at 80-100%

ground textures to 15cm

if I do two compromises...

Water quality to Low 

Clouds to Simple (not detailed)

Result... I was able to taxi and fly near London Xtended and use TrackIR very smoothly. Of course every other airport was even better..butter smooth. And I should note that all autogen was in max settings.

The pros of this setup:

- Smooth flying finally on complex airports!

- Maximum autogen..by far the experience when looking down.

- Simple clouds visuals. Actually they have a more natural, close to reality 'feeling'. Although you miss complex cloud detail formations the overall picture seems more real. Detailed clouds was always looking bad to me. I have REX Texture direct, but all clouds is very obvious that are drawn objects sitting there, and not live stream of compressed air as they look in real life. 

The questions I haven't found a solution yet are the following:

1) Can I use ASN weather radar in simple clouds? I see PMDG states for their T7 that it won't work correctly. Is there any fix for that?

2) Can we have overcast conditions in simple clouds?

If I can figure out these, I think I have found the best solution for FSX in my opinion,

If anyone knows anything about it I would be glad to know.

Simulators: Prepar3D v5 Academic | X-Plane 1111.50+ | DCS  World  Open Beta MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe | 
PC Hardware: Dell U3417W Intel i9 10900K | msi RTX 2080 Ti  Gaming X Trio msi MPG Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi | G.Skill 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus+860 EVO+850 EVO x 1TB, Western Digital Black Caviar Black x 6 TB Corsair RM1000i Corsair H115i Platinum Fractal Design Define S2 Gunmetal |
Flight Controls: Fulcrum One Yoke Virpil VPC WarBRD Base Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM Grip, Thrustmaster Warthog+F/A-18C Grip Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals | Virtual Fly TQ6+Throttle Quadrant | Sismo B737 Max Gear Lever | TrackIR 5Monsterteck Desk Mounts |
My fleet catalog: Link