Sign in to follow this  
Matt2218

777-300ER Air Force One

Had some free time yesterday and took a shot at painting the -300ER in the livery of Air Force One:

AF1_1.jpg

AF1_3.jpg

AF1_4.jpg

AF1_2.jpg

Still working on it - will see if I can boost the shine of the bare metal belly a bit and darken the color on the outer edge of the Presidential Seal. If there is anything else I've missed let me know! 

Matt Smith

Prepar3D

Nice paint but would never happen... POTUSA needs 4 engines.

Well, sure.

But on the other hand when you consider the fact that I'm pretending to fly a 750,000lb airplane around in my bathrobe, my imaginary POTUS 'settling' for a 777-300ER is probably not too big of a leap.

Matt Smith

Prepar3D

Well, sure.

But on the other hand when you consider the fact that I'm pretending to fly a 750,000lb airplane around in my bathrobe, my imaginary POTUS 'settling' for a 777-300ER is probably not too big of a leap.

Best response ever! :Applause:

Xaver Uzo

fs2crew_747_banner4.png

Well after I posted I realized he flies around in that helicopter all the time....only one engine.

I'm glad I did all of my flying around in helicopters BEFORE I came to understand the dark magic required to keep them in the air! :o

Matt Smith

Prepar3D

Correct me if I am wrong but when the president flies on any particular aircraft, isn't that at the time known as air force one?

Pretty sure I heard that in an air force one documentary.

Correct me if I am wrong but when the president flies on any particular aircraft, isn't that at the time known as air force one?

Pretty sure I heard that in an air force one documentary.

Yes...or Army One, or Navy One, Marine One, Coast Guard One depending on which military service's aircraft is being used at the time.

This specific livery is particular to the aircraft assigned to the President 'full time' (currently VC-25A/747-200s)...differs somewhat from the other light blue, white, and gold official livery that is on the C-40/737 or C-32/757 flown by the Air Force for VIP travel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_C-32#mediaviewer/File:USAF_C-32A.jpg

Matt Smith

Prepar3D

Well after I posted I realized he flies around in that helicopter all the time....only one engine.

Marine One (current VHX-60 White Hawk... so funny that they renamed the Black Hawk on several levels) has two engines.

Yeah, seems to me that the mission would be best served with a B77X airframe for many reasons including costs, but the bureaucrats are never going to put their necks out supporting fewer engines. Maybe it's the size of the alternators on each engine, the electrical loads are unimaginable, that drive them to four engines.

Dan Downs KCRP

Maybe it's the size of the alternators on each engine, the electrical loads are unimaginable, that drive them to four engines.

I'm pretty sure that it's because of the 747's fame and 'presence'. With most people who aren't airplane enthusiasts, if they know one plane it's the 747. It gained a reputation for about 50 years as being the biggest commercial plane, and some people even mistake it for the biggest aircraft. Nowadays, more people are starting to recognize the A380, but it'll be a chilly day in hell before the POTUS flies around in an Airbus. Even though the 777 is more efficient, the 747 is much more recognizable and prestigious. And as long as Mr. Putin's airplane has 4 engines, you can bet that POTUS' will as well. 

but it'll be a chilly day in hell before the POTUS flies around in an Airbus.

The USAF almost ended up with A330 tankers a little while back: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EADS/Northrop_Grumman_KC-45

I do agree, though. I doubt they'd ever use a non-US aircraft to hold such a position.

Kyle Rodgers

Maybe it's the size of the alternators on each engine, the electrical loads are unimaginable, that drive them to four engines.

This is what I have heard as well.

I suspect the requirement to fight and win a nuclear war, on the toilet, while simultaneously conducting a video teleconference with both the International Space Station and a submarine at the bottom of the Marianas Trench might have a little bit to do with that.

Matt Smith

Prepar3D

I suspect the requirement to fight and win a nuclear war, on the toilet, while simultaneously conducting a video teleconference with both the International Space Station and a submarine at the bottom of the Marianas Trench might have a little bit to do with that.

You forgot the "while watching 'merican football on a 50 inch LCD..."

Perhaps while eating apple pie and drinking a Bud...jury's out on that one because it would mean eating whilst on the toilet...

Kyle Rodgers

You forgot the "while watching 'merican football on a 50 inch LCD..."

Perhaps while eating apple pie and drinking a Bud...jury's out on that one because it would mean eating whilst on the toilet...

Without a portion of Buffalo wings??...no way!

Had some free time yesterday and took a shot at painting the -300ER in the livery of Air Force One:

Still working on it - will see if I can boost the shine of the bare metal belly a bit and darken the color on the outer edge of the Presidential Seal. If there is anything else I've missed let me know!

I love it Matt, very cool :-)

So far I have never used anything besides the default PMDG liveries.

To prevent FSX problems!

(I believe some liveries can cause problems similar to a corrupted panel state?).

But if you can assure me this Airforce One livery will not cause any problems than I might just make an exception ;-)

Rob Robson