Sign in to follow this  
Movieman162

Question About Headsets on Commercial Aircraft

Hi there.

Wall of text to explain why Im asking this question, skip to bottom for question.

I'm currently going through the process of getting my medical to start flying lessons after I finish uni. I have a hearing loss meaning that I have to wear two baha's. Despite this I have been told that I could still obtain a class 1 medical from the FAA with the notice *hearing amplification required*. In order to use the communications systems in aircraft I will have to use a 3.5mm to audio input for my hearing aid. In general aviation aircraft it is not hard to get an adaptor in order to plug into the aircrafts communication system.

My question is what standard of audio connector is used in commercial aircraft (e.g Airbus, Boeing, Embraer) and how long are the cable lengths for the headsets that airlines provide for these aircraft.

Thanks

Tim Heptinstall

The headset jacks on Embraers are the same as what are on a typical GA aircraft. You don't have to use the headsets provided with the aircraft by the company. You can use your own as long as they are tso'd. ANR plugs are also available at the jack box along with the standard two plugs on Embraers.

Sorry late reply, busy week.

What is the process and requirements for getting equipment tso'd? Wasn't sure if this would apply to my hearing aid audio input since it is literally just a wire with a adapter in the middle. 

Thanks