Sign in to follow this  
jtwhite

Can't install Global scenery from disks

I bought the x-plane NA regional installation some time ago, and recently bought the Global scenery disks.

I installed some additional scenery, and all was OK.

However, when I decided to install some additional world scenery (wanted to take a spin around the South Pacific), for some reason the installer will no longer let me do it.

I downloaded the new installer from the website, but it still won't install from the disks.

It allows me to pick additional areas, but the amount of disk space needed total remains at zero and nothing gets installed, even thought it reads "scenery updated."

I've fished around on Net and read of others having the same problem, but no real solution.

Has anyone here had this problem, and has it ever been resolved?

Thanks in advance.

John

Have you checked the permissions on your X-Plane directory, i.e. Can the installer write to it?

Also, I'd suggest you contact Laminar Research directly, especially considering others have reported the same fault, and it sounds like it may be a bug in the installer. 

I just did this same upgrade a couple of days ago.  No issues.  Are you using the Disc #1 from the upgrade set?

Thanks guys.

Yeah, Im using disk 1 and the latest installer.

No patooties....

I didn't just install some, I did it all.  Just to be clearer.  If you have room, install a second copy of x-plane in a different location and install all.

Thanks, but I don't think it's worth the effort.

Im happy flying around the NA area (sorry, rest of world, no nation-centrism intended).

Think I'll head over to the Laminar site and dig around a little more.

It seems to have sorted itself out.

I think it had something to do with the DRM, in that once I had installed new scenery from the GLobal CDs, it registered itself as the Global edition. In other words, I now have to boot from the Global CD #1. And when using the new installer, I have to have that disk in the drive.

Does that make sense?

Guess I was getting them crossed. Anyway, hello, rest of the world.

Correction on above post. (Jeez, this is sure confusing).

OK, I have to boot from my NA-region disk to start the sim. Then, if I want to go to one of the airports outside the region, I have to put the Global disk 1 in so it knows I have the right to go out of the yard.

IF anyone still cares.... :lol: