Sign in to follow this  
kriggelb

HD vc shadows moving (merged thread)

But is it just the maddog

This could well be the case, yes. I could only test one other legacy aircraft (which didn't seem like a good test at all) but maybe you have freeware recommendation.

The Milton Shupe Dash 7 is mentioned in the manual. Should I pick the FS9 version (there also is a FSX one out) and check? Just point me to a download site and I can test.

Hello again,

I just wanted to say that I'm talking about PMDG T7. Without HD everything is fine except for blurry shadow borders. Still have to try unchecking the zoom box in the debug window - I'm not near my computer at the moment:-)

Kind regards,

Chris

Christian Baldauf

Then we could be talking about two different issues.  :mellow:  Regarding yours, can you post your settings (maybe just attach the settings file) since the 777 works fine here. In fact, every native FSX aircraft so far does in regard to the viewpoint dependency.

So maybe there's something in the settings or the update process didn't run through correctly. Just guessing.

Yes sorry in this case merging the threads was a mistake. The Dash 7 doesn't have a VC.

This thread lists a whole bunch of freeware with VCs

I have Rick Piper's Chipmunk V3 , a IL-18 Sikorsky S-40 and S-42

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/424509-fs9-portovers-in-fsxdx10-with-steve-fixer/?fromsearch=1

oh and Milton Shupe's AC520

This is Milton Shupe's download page

http://www.gjsmith.net/Milton_Shupe/

Thanks, Steve. As soon as I've installed and tried one of those planes I shall report back to you.

Hello CoolP,

as you are saying that the 777 works fine on your system, could you share your settings for this aircraft, please?

Within "shadow options" I only ticked "reduce fade in poor visibility" (ticked by default) and "Force VC Walls", "HD Shadows" and "EZDOK Compatibility". Furthermore "HD Airliners only" and "Shadow Bias 0.5" is selected. I use Shadow Version 6 (Debug window) and added the new DX10 line in the fsx.cfg referred to in the DX Scenery Fixer 2.5 manual. Of course, I didn't forget to tick the box "aircraft throws shadows on itself" within FSX:-)

It would be great to know, which settings you do actually use in order to get HD shadows within the t7 VC without eye movement dependancy...

Kind regards,

Chris

Christian Baldauf

Chris - do you have this problem with other aircraft and does it occur if you don't use TrackIR and does it occur with TrackIR if you disable HD shadows

I'm not at my sim system so I couldn't test much (re: legacy aircraft) or make screenshots of my settings (re: 777 shadows) but I will as soon as I am back.

Hello Steve,

indeed I only have this problem with PMDG aircraft as far as I tested (FSX SP2; 737 NGX and 777 all updated): The only way to avoid eye movement dependancy of the shadow is to turn off the HD shadow option for me. Then shadows work great in the T7, although as posted before the shadow lines are a bit blurry (due to non-HD, of course), but they don't work at all in the NGX - even when choosing shadow version 5 or turning the zoom option off in the debug window...

It´s a pitty, because when choosing the native 737 the HD shadows really look incredible - what an immersion improvement, Steve!! Still, who wants to fly the native model once you got used to PMDG standards, if you know what I mean...

Maybe it´s one of those issues, your fixer isn`t intended to fix, so I don't want to demand something, I really don't have to - thanks a lot for all your work, Steve!

Christian Baldauf

Shadows do not work in the 737NGX see post above - except that the exclusion sphere can cut off some of the square box so you get fleeting shadows. I am really puzzled about the T7 since people are reporting different things - are you both using the latest versions of the 777?

Christian, you've asked for the settings so I made a small album over here. http://imgur.com/a/w8kxR

With those, the 777 and all other native FSX birds work fine re: viewpoint dependency. Now I'm off and later will be able to post some results on the legacy aircraft.

Edited. Steve, I've just tested Milton Shupe's AC520 from your recommendation and can report that the legacy shadow feature works and also lacks any problems with the viewpoint dependency. So your assumption of this being a Leonardo Maddog related problem proved to be correct.

My issue re: legacy shadows is therefore solved. Thanks for your help and patience. :smile:

But I can live without HD so

Maybe same as Steve, I would like to know why it doesn't work for you. But, at the same time, I know how tiresome testing can be so I would understand it if you dropped the case.

Anyway, if you ever find out what might have prevented the shadows from working correctly, let us know. :smile: