Sign in to follow this  
Slick9

777 OOM - depleted VAS (my brand)

The idea of Slick9 seems to work for me. I reinstalled ASN and did EDDF(Aerosoft)-KIAH(FSDT) with no OOM occurrences. VAS started at 2.6 when lined up in Frankfurt, gradually increased to 3.0 at Scotland and 3.1-3.2 over Canada and the United States and stayed there until KIAH when it went to 3.65.

I've been following this thread with interest, glad to see the ASN reinstall thing is working for some people.   I'm still running free of VAS issues and loving it.  I just did an 18 hour 37 minute haul (real time) w/ the B772 from Fly Tampa's Boston to ORBX's Aukland, New Zealand. VAS use to start was 3GB at landing remaining VAS was 600MB.   My rule now is if I install/update any of the PMDG products, a quick uninstall/reinstall of ASN follows and so far so good.  It's pretty easy for me because I run ASN with the default settings (except for cloud layers - I only use 3).  Still hoping that one day some genius comes up with a cure for the VAS limitation though!!

Richard

This worked for me as well.

Recently started experiencing OOM's on my long hauls, after months of no issues, with no sim changes (running DX10). Even reducing all my settings, couldn't complete a EHAM-KJFK or PHNL-KORD flight without an OOM over the ocean somewhere. Went through every troubleshooting thing I could think of, including a re-install of the T7.

Uninstalled/Reinstalled ASN on my networked machine, and now things are back to normal. Flying KORD-VHHH and am 2.5 hours past where it OOM'd yesterday and rock solid at 2.5-2.6GB VAS usage. Using the same day/time flight, and even using yesterday's wx. The only difference was the uninstall/reinstall of ASN.

7900X OC @ 4.8GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X299 Professional | 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (SLI) | 32GB G.Skill DDR4 2800

Recently started experiencing OOM's on my long hauls, after months of no issues, with no sim changes (running DX10).

I thought DX10 was suppose to reduce the amount of VAS used. Prior to running across Slick9's post, reinstalling ASN and having it work on one flight so far, DX10 and SteveFX fixer was going to be my solution to OOM but I guess not. I paid for and downloaded the fixer with the intention of going to DX10. Maybe I should stay on DX9 for the time being since in your case it appeared to do nothing for VAS.

This worked for me as well.

Recently started experiencing OOM's on my long hauls, after months of no issues, with no sim changes (running DX10). Even reducing all my settings, couldn't complete a EHAM-KJFK or PHNL-KORD flight without an OOM over the ocean somewhere. Went through every troubleshooting thing I could think of, including a re-install of the T7.

Uninstalled/Reinstalled ASN on my networked machine, and now things are back to normal. Flying KORD-VHHH and am 2.5 hours past where it OOM'd yesterday and rock solid at 2.5-2.6GB VAS usage. Using the same day/time flight, and even using yesterday's wx. The only difference was the uninstall/reinstall of ASN.

Same setup here, never had any issue with VAS usage since release of the 777 and also didn't change any setting for the last year or so.
About a month ago I downloaded a new livery for the 77W and during the flight KORD-RJAA (both stock) my VAS decreased steadily until after like 4 hours in flights (over the north pacifique) the sim just froze... I remade that flight the day after with the same result. After this I flew another route (FSDT's CYVR to YSSY) in Air Canada livery (which was installed several months ago) and I had no VAS problems whatsoever landing with more than 1 Gb of free VAS. After some more testing I came to the strange conclusion that all newly installed liveries caused that "leak" in VAS usage. When flying in an "older" livery the VAS issue did not occur. So it was (sort of) OK for now...

Everything changed when lately, after updating the Operations Center, I downloaded the latest PMDG 777LR/77W installers and installed both of them. Since then the "leaking VAS" issue occurs on every flight I make regardless of the livery I fly in.
My ASN is installed on a networked PC so I only just uninstalled the "AS Connect" which is the only AS related piece of software installed on the FSX PC and made a flight without running ASN (fair weather theme), but the VAS leak still occurred so I thought ASN could not be at fault here, but reading Dan's post I will definitely make the complete reinstallation of ASN.
Although I can not remotely figure out how a non-running ASN (on a networked machine) could cause FSX to "bleed" out of VAS I am now reaching the point where I will give anything and everything a go (even if it does not make sense) because I am out of (logical) options.

This kind of issue drives me mad and desperate because it pops up out of the blue with no apparent reason and it completely destroys the experience...
Not blaming anybody here because I really think this is nobody's fault. FSX is just too old I guess?

Maybe the time has come to step over to P3D...

Also vas and eventually oom issues at cruise with a new install of fsx plus acceleration. I have fsuipc, FTX Global, Vector, FS Global Ultimate Mesh, Aerosoft German Airports 2 2012 and FSDT KLAX.

I OOM on a flight klax-eddp always somewhere near the Canadian/North American border. I just uninstalled ASN, checked the boxes to remove my settings. And reinstalled. I hope this fixes it, last 2 days has been an oom. I also unchecked one of the roads in the Vector configurator I hope that helps with vas.

Hello Slick9,

I'm also following this topic very interested in the reports from other T7 pilots out there.

The post by denthibbe got me confused quite a bit, because he's even mentioning liveries. I'd just like to ask if you're reinstalling ASN every time you install a new livery through the OC or if you were only talking about reinstalling after "real" T7 updates (like from version "SP1c" to "SP1d").

Kind regards,

Chris

Christian Baldauf

I use the FSUIPC edit ot show VAS when tabbing windows and shows what FSX VAS in use is in KB form. What do you guys use to show remaining?

Also I agree with a poster above, I thought running DX10 eliminated any OOM issues, otherwise whats the point of going DX10?

What do you guys use to show remaining?

I use Process Explorer but it shows VAS being used not what remains.

So standard ctrl alt del under performance tab and its there?

If you are writing about FSUIPC, I don't know the answer. Process Explorer is not part of FSUIPC. The link for downloading it is in the PMDG 777 Introduction manual on page 31 along with a guideline on how to set it up.

Hello Slick9,

I'm also following this topic very interested in the reports from other T7 pilots out there.

The post by denthibbe got me confused quite a bit, because he's even mentioning liveries. I'd just like to ask if you're reinstalling ASN every time you install a new livery through the OC or if you were only talking about reinstalling after "real" T7 updates (like from version "SP1c" to "SP1d").

Kind regards,

Chris

Hi Chris - I am only reinstalling ASN after T7 SP** updates, not after installing livery.  Having said that though, at the time I installed the T7 update, I also installed multiple liveries and since then I have not added any new liveries (so I'm not sure about the impact of the adding new liveries).

I use the FSUIPC edit ot show VAS when tabbing windows and shows what FSX VAS in use is in KB form. What do you guys use to show remaining?

Also I agree with a poster above, I thought running DX10 eliminated any OOM issues, otherwise whats the point of going DX10?

I use FSUIPC to monitor remaining VAS.  As far as DX10 goes, I honestly can't give you the technical reasons behind this but this is how things worked for me.

I was using DX9, until I installed the T7, immediately after the installation I began to have very fast drainage of VAS.  After some research, I concluded that switching from DX9 to DX10 could help solve my VAS issues, so I made the switch.  At that time, I did not touch ASN (as far as uninstalling/reinstalling it) and my VAS issues were solved immediately.  So for me after initial installation of the T7 DX10 fixed the VAS issue.  Then I installed the first SP1 update that PMDG released and all of a sudden my VAS issues were back, it was while trying to solve this second appearance of VAS issues that I decided to try the ASN uninstall/reinstall - and for me the ASN trick worked. 

So my conclusion is that at least on my system I need DX10.

Richard

2 hours in flight from KATL (ImagineSim) to KLAX (FSDT). In a normal situation the amount of free VAS at this point would be something around 1.5-1.6 GB. Right now I am at 700Mb and it's still decreasing...

I reinstalled ASN on my networked PC. It will ask you to manually reset all shaders by deleting all files located under %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders\Misc and %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders10\ShadersHLSL\misc

For a moment I really thought this would do the trick but unfortunately it does not seem to help.

Slowly losing hope...

Thanks for the answer, Richard.

It'll be interesting to see how this whole "issue" goes on...

In my case I solved the VAS-problems by saving my flights at TOD - as I use the pause function - exiting FSX and loading the flight again after restarting the program. It really is no big deal as it takes me around 3 minutes to get back into the VC and start the descent...

Christian Baldauf