Sign in to follow this  
Slick9

777 OOM - depleted VAS (my brand)

Appears the following two lines both causes VAS leaking for the ILS 25L approach at KLAX:

TRK 251 UNTIL 800 TRK 180 INTERCEPT RADIAL 210 TO FIX CATLY FIX CATLY AT OR ABOVE 2000 HOLD AT FIX CATLY RIGHT TURN INBOUNDCOURSE 210 LEGTIME 1
- original AIRAC 1502 text

TRK 251 UNTIL 800 HDG 190 INTERCEPT RADIAL 210 TO FIX CATLY FIX CATLY AT OR ABOVE 2000 HOLD AT FIX CATLY RIGHT TURN INBOUNDCOURSE 210 LEGTIME 1
- AIRAC 1502 with corrected procedure in accordance with the 25L plate.

My manual change to the following is working:

TRK 251 UNTIL 800 FIX CATLY AT OR ABOVE 2000 HOLD AT FIX CATLY RIGHT TURN INBOUNDCOURSE 210 LEGTIME 1
(basically direct to CATLY at 800, rather than intercepting a radial)

So the delta between them is:

TRK 190 INTERCEPT RADIAL 210 TO FIX CATLY

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

reinstalled ASN as suggested

Something to consider about reinstalling ASN. I read a post which I believe was in this thread that if you opened the OC and a 777 update was listed as available but you didn't install the update you still needed to do a reinstall of ASN. Right now the only update available is SP1D. When the update for the NGX is made available for download/installation later during the week it will probably appear in the OC. I am going to download/install that update. At the same time, the 777 SP1D update will be listed as available. I am not going to install it. However, I will have been in OC again with a 777 update available. I will reinstall ASN for the third time. I am making it my policy to reinstall ASN anytime I open the OC. Don't open the OC unless you read in a pinned topic in the PMDG General Forum that a required update is available for the 777. If you use the ASN full installer from the HiFi website, it only takes about 10 minutes for the reinstall.

REX weather I used about 4 years ago so I am not in a position to comment on the product now.

I did a flight from KDFW to EGLL..default scenery..ASN.

No VAS, but when I got the the gate at EGLL, FSX crashed..Not a OOM error, but simply crashed.

John Bradley

AAL132

With the Beta release of ASN I just installed FSX-SE along with all my other scenery (FTX Global, UTX, airports...) and the PMDG T7 and Aerosoft A3xxx series. I plan on installing the NGX as well, but everything else I'll keep on my box install for now. I flew the KATL to KLAX flight again, but unlike the flight I flew previously (On FSX-box), I did see evidence of a VAS leak at KATL, started out about 1GB (As before) but at takeoff I was at about 630MB left. (FSUIPC reported). The interesting thing though was when I got up to cruise, I was up to 870MB free. It fluctuated between 800 to 870MB troughout the flight with only dipping slightly below 800MB a couple of times. On landing I touched down with 560MB free. It did dip to about 480MB when I got to the gate. Now with the original FSX, with the T7 if at takeoff I was down that low, I would stay around that area throughout the flight, and almost certainly OOM or come close to it at landing.  With FSX-SE it does a much better job at cleaning up VAS then FSX Box, but it still doesn't completely clean it up. That said, I think until P3D goes 64bit, FSX-SE may be the best way forward. With DX10 working thanks to Steve's DX10 fixer, and now producing VC shadows on all aircraft, wit the discovery of a hidden FSX config setting, with the exception of the cloud to ground shadows visually there's not much difference now between FSX and P3D. 

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

With the Beta release of ASN I just installed FSX-SE along with all my other scenery (FTX Global, UTX, airports...) and the PMDG T7 and Aerosoft A3xxx series. I plan on installing the NGX as well, but everything else I'll keep on my box install for now. I flew the KATL to KLAX flight again, but unlike the flight I flew previously (On FSX-box), I did see evidence of a VAS leak at KATL, started out about 1GB (As before) but at takeoff I was at about 630MB left. (FSUIPC reported). The interesting thing though was when I got up to cruise, I was up to 870MB free. It fluctuated between 800 to 870MB troughout the flight with only dipping slightly below 800MB a couple of times. On landing I touched down with 560MB free. It did dip to about 480MB when I got to the gate. Now with the original FSX, with the T7 if at takeoff I was down that low, I would stay around that area throughout the flight, and almost certainly OOM or come close to it at landing.  With FSX-SE it does a much better job at cleaning up VAS then FSX Box, but it still doesn't completely clean it up. That said, I think until P3D goes 64bit, FSX-SE may be the best way forward. With DX10 working thanks to Steve's DX10 fixer, and now producing VC shadows on all aircraft, wit the discovery of a hidden FSX config setting, with the exception of the cloud to ground shadows visually there's not much difference now between FSX and P3D.

Now, trying to keep all parameters constant, try flying from KATL to another airport other than KLAX and see if you have the same symptoms.

Will do KDFW-EGLL (fsdt & aerosoft) with cloud layers in ASN set to 1. I really want to hope that will work (last option available to keep flying the 777 with ASN).

Now, trying to keep all parameters constant, try flying from KATL to another airport other than KLAX and see if you have the same symptoms.

Will do that tonight! I have some house repair work to do today.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

Flew KIAD to KDEN yesterday, selecting the ILS 26 approach in my FMS, which has a similar missed approach procedure to the troublesome ILS 25s and 7s at KLAX. In the KDEN.txt file, the procedure also calls to follow a track to an altitude, then another track to intercept a radial and hold. No VAS leaking observed, rock solid at 2.430-2.500 the whole cruise.

Right now, so far, I have not been able to replicate the problem outside of the specific KLAX FMS approach procedures I mentioned above (before I applied my workaround). If anyone specifically sees a visible, consistent VAS leaking and depletion for a specific airport/approach combination, please share.

Letting EGLL-KLAX fly itself right now with ILS 25L selected during preflight. I'll broadcast my results with my workaround.

Started flight of KATL to KSFO tonight Started out between 1.0 to 1.1GB free at takeoff I was higher than last night 832MB free. One note the weather was better tonight then it was last night so that may account for some of the difference. Unfortunately I had a power hit shortly after takeoff so I couldn't continue the flight, so I'll have to try again, but after 45 minute prep time. it probably won't be tonight.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

Successfully flew EGLL-KLAX to ILS25L with my KLAX.txt workaround implemented.  Saw 2.810 GB used on departure at EGLL, solid 2.512-2.520 GB for the entire duration of cruise, 2.700 GB through transition altitude, then 3.500 GB on landing (mostly because I was screwing around with external views).  Plenty of overhead VAS available on this 11-hour flight where was with the original KLAX 1502 entry, I'd barely be able to make 4.5 hours of flight before an OOM.

I did a flight with a 737-700, KIAH-KJFK (fsdt) with cloud layers in ASN set to 1.

I had an OOM and on final and a crash just before exiting the runway. Lease expected it with a 737 but KJFK was always VASy with ASN.

Successfully flew EGLL-KLAX to ILS25L with my KLAX.txt workaround implemented.

At the request of PMDG tech support I am going to do a EDDP-KLAX using 1502 KLAX.txt but not select an approach until about 100 miles left to KLAX. That should workout okay.

At the request of PMDG tech support I am going to do a EDDP-KLAX using 1502 KLAX.txt but not select an approach until about 100 miles left to KLAX. That should workout okay.

Roger.

I agree, if you takeoff with reasonable VAS usage, you should be able to select the approach 100 NM out and be able to land despite the VAS leak. (e.g. the leak won't bleed the VAS enough to a point of an OOM if you select it late in your FMS.)

if you select it late in your FMS

I don't really like to do it late. If I work fast I can have both east and west landings setup in the FMC before I reach T/C out of EDDP. The way KLAX's traffic flow is depending on the time of day and domestic or international flight you pretty much know what runway you are going to land on. The wind makes no difference unless it is a tailwind component of 10 knots or greater or unless you are Quantas (no tailwind at anytime).

I agree also, I try to at least have my best guess for an approach selected as part of my pre-flight. Helps to complete a descent profile, slightly more accurate fuel predictions, and may be required for a STAR transition. Hence why I could see the effects of the VAS leaking as soon as I got up to cruise...was one of the first indications in this whole situation to me that something wasn't right and prompted me to look into it further.