Sign in to follow this  
Slick9

777 OOM - depleted VAS (my brand)

Well, now I'm running into something else truly bizarre. I started getting VAS depletion again a few days ago and so I went ahead and decided to rebuild FSX. Currently, I have no other sceneries installed/active and only have been using the 777 for tests (after remapping my controls and applying the usual FSX.cfg tweaks such as highmemfix), have no weather engine installed.

After the past few days of testing, I've run into some really odd observations with both the 777 SP1c and SP1d, as well as AIRAC 1501 and 1502. My testing seems to suggest, regardless of departure airport, if I enter KLAX into the FMS as the destination airport, I will have VAS depletion between 100-300 MB/hour until I OOM in about 4-5 hours of flying at straight and level cruise. I simply can't figure this one out. Some of my example flights included, trying to keep the stock, default FSX weather scenario and other settings as constant as possible:

1) JFK-LAX, OOM in about 4.5 hours; VAS depleting observed. Have tried this one about 5 times so far all with similar results.

2) IAD-LAX, OOM in about 4 hours; VAS depleting observed

3) JFK and using track select to fly over LAX by hand, was able to let the plane fly for 18+ hours; VAS remained relatively constant at cruise

4) LAX-JFK, flight completed; VAS relatively constant at cruise

5) JFK-SAN, flight completed; VAS relatively constant at cruise

6) HNL-LAX, OOM in about 5 hours; VAS depletion observed

7) JFK-SEA, flight completed 2/2 attempts; VAS relatively constant in cruise

8) HNL and pointing the aircraft eastbound at LAX by track hold, was able to fly over LAX with relatively constant VAS and fly 12+ hours

So, really, all over the map but the common thread, for whatever reason seems to be entering LAX as my destination in the FMS. Have also tried using a SimBrief flight plan download as well as entering a route by hand.

If anyone has ANY idea on that one, PLEASE let me know.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Well, now I'm running into something else truly bizarre. I started getting VAS depletion again a few days ago and so I went ahead and decided to rebuild FSX. Currently, I have no other sceneries installed/active and only have been using the 777 for tests (after remapping my controls and applying the usual FSX.cfg tweaks such as highmemfix), have no weather engine installed.

After the past few days of testing, I've run into some really odd observations with both the 777 SP1c and SP1d, as well as AIRAC 1501 and 1502. My testing seems to suggest, regardless of departure airport, if I enter KLAX into the FMS as the destination airport, I will have VAS depletion between 100-300 MB/hour until I OOM in about 4-5 hours of flying at straight and level cruise. I simply can't figure this one out. Some of my example flights included, trying to keep the stock, default FSX weather scenario and other settings as constant as possible:

1) JFK-LAX, OOM in about 4.5 hours; VAS depleting observed. Have tried this one about 5 times so far all with similar results.

2) IAD-LAX, OOM in about 4 hours; VAS depleting observed

3) JFK and using track select to fly over LAX by hand, was able to let the plane fly for 18+ hours; VAS remained relatively constant at cruise

4) LAX-JFK, flight completed; VAS relatively constant at cruise

5) JFK-SAN, flight completed; VAS relatively constant at cruise

6) HNL-LAX, OOM in about 5 hours; VAS depletion observed

7) JFK-SEA, flight completed 2/2 attempts; VAS relatively constant in cruise

8) HNL and pointing the aircraft eastbound at LAX by track hold, was able to fly over LAX with relatively constant VAS and fly 12+ hours

So, really, all over the map but the common thread, for whatever reason seems to be entering LAX as my destination in the FMS. Have also tried using a SimBrief flight plan download as well as entering a route by hand.

what version of uiautomationcore dll file do you have in your fsx folder? For months I was using the wrong version. Should be the 18000 version I think that has something to do with dll crashes and oom

Slick9 is correct. I fully removed PMDG T7 and reinstalled it from the last version (d) and all my framerates are back as also the weather gauge.

Continuing now the VAS tests.

Best regards,

Heron Domingues, Jr

Intel Core I7 10700KF, 3.80GHz (5.10GHz Turbo), Gigabyte B460, RAM 32GB, Corsair 750W, GPU Palit RTX 3060, Windows 10 Pro 64., P3Dv5.4.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

The uiautomationcore.dll evidence is grown in FSX menu clicking use/abuse during flight.

And talking about CaptKornDog's recent findings in VAS leaking research ("VLR" :-D), my bet goes to T7, for the following reasons:

1. PMDG claims the T7 is memory hunger and presents many pages of tweaking suggestions in their T7 Manual Introduction.

2. I can fly hours with any of my aircraft, but never in the T7, FTX-ORBx regions or not.

3. Most of the complains in the CTD Forum is around the T7.

4. My tests with weather/T7 didn't change any bit in VAS leaking.

5. There is a secret that evolves CPU + GPU + FSX configuration which determines VAS leaking or not, because there are installations that one can fly 14 hours in the T7. There is a pilot who claims he never gets out of FSX between flights. There are those who start the Simulator with more than 3GB of VAS and those who never see something near this figure.

I don't have Antivirus nor any support software not related to FSX. Before using FSX I restart my system. My MS-Cessna default flight in a default field gives me a VAS of 1.9GB. Any of my T7 flight starts with VAS at 1.2GB. Period.

Best regards,

Heron Domingues, Jr

Intel Core I7 10700KF, 3.80GHz (5.10GHz Turbo), Gigabyte B460, RAM 32GB, Corsair 750W, GPU Palit RTX 3060, Windows 10 Pro 64., P3Dv5.4.

I have no solution but I can confirm the information in your post. Back to back flights between KLAX-EDDP. Eastbound  from KLAX to EDDP used 3.1 GB of VAS. Westbound to KLAX from EDDP needed to be saved twice, FSX restarted twice and saved flight loaded to complete flight. Now that I think of it, every time KLAX is the destination I need to do 2 to 4 flight saves and restarts to complete the flight.

what version of uiautomationcore dll file do you have in your fsx folder? For months I was using the wrong version. Should be the 18000 version I think that has something to do with dll crashes and oom

Currently, the original one that installs with FSX.

I have no solution but I can confirm the information in your post. Back to back flights between KLAX-EDDP. Eastbound  from KLAX to EDDP used 3.1 GB of VAS. Westbound to KLAX from EDDP needed to be saved twice, FSX restarted twice and saved flight loaded to complete flight. Now that I think of it, every time KLAX is the destination I need to do 2 to 4 flight saves and restarts to complete the flight.

Not that it helps much, I'm glad I'm not the only one :)

For laughs, I tried my destination as KONT and KHHR, two of the closest airports to KLAX, the depletion wasn't there either. I'm wondering if should install just ASN to see if that has an effect since it did previously for me.

For anyone else who is experiencing a slow, VAS depletion that you don't see in other aircraft, can you please try flying between default airports then try to fly to KLAX as your destination in your FMS? The more data on this one, the better.

I'm examining KLAX in the related AIRAC files and don't see anything out of the ordinary (unfortunately, that means this is probably deeper than that).

Of course, if anyone sees this repeatably at other specific airports, please share them so we can try them out ourselves.

I just finished a flight KORD (FSDT) - EHAM (Aerosoft) with ASN off. Smooooooth, no OOM for the first time.

PMDG 777 to Aerosoft Amsterdam - that's a sure OOM flight, if completed successfully with ASN off, I have no doubt why.

Will try another one overnight, iFly 747 KLAX (FSDT) to VHHH (Taxi2Gate).

If that ends successfully I will be facing a major dilemma because I hate saving and restarting the flight during the flight.

Any commercial airport will eat VAS. ASN also eats VAS (read their manual or look at their settings comments). You should try too Aerosoft EHAM + Rex.

At this moment I am doing a T7 test flight with a Windows service called "presentationfontcache.exe" stopped. It was eating a big part of my VAS.

Be back in minutes.

Best regards,

Heron Domingues, Jr

I'm about 90 minutes into JFK-LAX in the 738.  No VAS depletion so far, holding a steady 2.5 GB.

I thought *maybe*, just maybe if it were related to AIRAC 1502/1501 I've been using, the NGX might exhibit the same symptom.  I suppose it doesn't.

Unfortunately, now though, I'm truly out of ideas other than to not fly the 777 into LAX with the FMC (which is most unfortunate).

Please, give a try to stop service "presentationfontcache.exe". For the first time, I could end a 2:00hs T7/ASN flight with 1GB of VAS. Both airports KDEN and KPHX are commercial.

Simply go to the Windows Services and stop Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache 3.0.0.0. No harm will do to your Flight Sim. Next time you boot, this service will be back.

More information at http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/15932-63-presentationfontcache-stop

This deserves more tests in longer flights. Could be a false alarm in my system.

Best regards,

Heron Domingues, Jr

Please, give a try to stop service "presentationfontcache.exe". For the first time, I could end a 2:00hs T7/ASN flight with 1GB of VAS. Both airports KDEN and KPHX are commercial.

Simply go to the Windows Services and stop Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache 3.0.0.0. No harm will do to your Flight Sim. Next time you boot, this service will be back.

More information at http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/15932-63-presentationfontcache-stop

This deserves more tests in longer flights. Could be a false alarm in my system.

Best regards,

By default, the service is stopped on my system.

I'm about 90 minutes into JFK-LAX in the 738.

I have never had any OOM problems with the NGX with all airports and scenery enable. I am doing a T7 KCVG-KLAX and two hours into the flight I can tell its not going to make it unless the flight is saved and FSX restarted and the flight is loaded into FSX. When I reload a flight VAS starts at about 1.9GB so 2.1GB should be plenty to finish the flight. I am using FSDT KLAX and MegaSceneryX So Cal so I need a lot of spare VAS to land there. Staying away from KLAX in the T7 is not an option. VAS is leaking at a steady 200MB an hour.

I have never had any OOM problems with the NGX with all airports and scenery enable.

Same here, but just wanted to isolate a variable and see if it somehow was just navdata induced, for whatever reason.

Over halfway through the flight, not a significant change in VAS (still holding just fine 2.4-2.6 GB).  It's clear at this point, the NGX isn't leaking VAS to KLAX like the T7 is, so I may just stop the flight here.