Sign in to follow this  
CavalierDuck

Iceland Tour, Part 2?

Hi guys,

I don't know if you already cooked up a plan for this Saturday, but if not I could put up Part 2 of the Iceland Tour. The plan is already done but I'm still away so I won't be able to post it till Friday when I get back home. Part 2 will be rather more leisurely than Part 1; it will consist of a tour of the airfields of the Westfjords region, including landing at the (in)famous Isafjordur airport (there are some good youtube videos, I'll dig out some links).

If there's already a plan then no problem, this will keep till we need one.

Cooked up!? Don't you know how much time and effort goes into my flights? Harrumph!  :angry:

Iceland? Serve it up, if indeed Jeff hasn't cooked up something. B)

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Mine can wait a week.  Palm Springs will warm us up after Iceland.

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Tragic news: My FSX has been crashing on a regular basis for no reason I can think of. So, to cut a long tale of woe short, I'm going to bite the bullet and re-install the beast. I guess it's about due, it's been a good 2 1/2 years now, so a good clean out won't come amiss.
The server will still be up and maybe, just maybe I'll be flying at the weekend

Oh God! How depressing! :(

Ron,

You might want to check for this windows update: KB2670838,   If you have IE10 installed, windows update applies this and it will break FSX.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/426962-dx10-fsx-instability/?hl=%2Bkb2670838#entry3109483

| Windows 11 | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | i9-13900K | RTX 4090 | 64GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR5 | 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | 2x 2TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2 | CORSAIR AX1600i ATX Titanium | LG C2 42 Inch 4K OLED | 

26aLetj.png

Yes Jeff I knew about 0838 and had it hidden but whaddya know Windows snuck it back on again. I've uninstalled it...again! I've not actually startwed to re-install yet, I'm too chicken! Doing a reinstall of FTX_LC and Global 2010

My head, my head! :LMAO: :LMAO: (hysteria)

Iceland Tour, Part 2: Akureyri to Isafjordur

This second part of our Iceland tour takes us from Akureyri via a little detour up into the Arctic Circle to the Westfjords region, finishing with the challenging approach into Isafjordur.

We leave Akureyri (BIAR) where we finished last time for our first stop at Husavik (BIHU), a small fishing town that has now become a centre for whale-watching. We then go north to the island of Grimsey (BIGR), whose claim to fame is that it is the only inhabited part of Iceland inside the Arctic Circle, which the island actually straddles.  We then make our way back to the mainland stopping at Siglufjordur (BISI) before visiting Saudarkrokur (BIKR),  the second-largest town in the north of iceland after Akureyri.  Next stop is at Gjogur (BIGJ), where the airport provides the local inhabitants' only link to the outside world after the road becomes impassable in winter. After a quick visit to Holmavik (BIHK) comes this week's finale: runway 08 at Isafjordur (BIIS).  I suggest following the RNAV (GNSS) D approach, then coming in from the bay before making the 230 degree turn onto the runway.  Air Iceland flies scheduled service into Isafjordur using a Fokker 50.  Here's how it's done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv_c6vA8DXE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBDt-7Jegs0

Isafjordur charts here.

Recommended aircraft: Twin Otters are particularly popular for service into these small communities in northern Iceland.  A Cessna 208 or Quest Kodiak would also be good options, or anything capable of 140-150 kts.  A smaller more manoevrable aircraft will give an easier approach into Isafjordur, while a larger aircraft will increase the challenge!

Recommended scenery:

- Orbx FTX Global Iceland Demo [FREE]

Flightplans:

- Skyvector

- FSX

- Plan-G

Date and time: Saturday 15th November, 19:00 UTC

Where: AVSIM RTWR Teamspeak - Casual Flights Channel

Teamspeak Server Address: ts.teamavsim.com

Multiplayer: FSX Multiplayer (IP will be provided on Teamspeak)

Don't forget to enter your aircraft details on the multiplayer speadsheet! (linked here)

Note to Ron: I suggest setting the server start time around midday, there's only about 6 hours of daylight there now, and we'll want at least a little light when we get to BIIS!

I will be flying the Aerosoft Twin Otter Extended in the colours of Norlandair, which runs scheduled flights between Akureyri and Grimsey, and other airports in north Iceland.

Norlandair%20Twin%20Otter.jpg?dl=0

Note to Ron: I suggest setting the server start time around midday, there's only about 6 hours of daylight there now,

I did wonder about that but then I though 'No, that Nick's a clever ole boy, he'll remember'

I make no apologies for using the sparkly new A2A 182. It's brilliant! Oh. My FSX problems have been sorted. (That's just put the kibosh on that!  :rolleyes:  )

Just finished my first flight in the A2A 182,  I don't think I'll be able to fly the 172 again.  I am completely spoiled now. 

Ron,  Did you happen to notice whose name appears in the manual?

I will be flying the Twin Otter for Iceland 2 though.  Same paint as Nicks' (it's one of the default paints)

26aLetj.png

None other than The Great Ozzie himself! He kept that quiet, the old sneaky bugger.

It will be tight to fit it in todays schedule. Should be able to make at least the first half. Will be flying the Premier AIrcraft Designs (Barry Blaisdell) C414 along with the winglets kit available here. The paint is in the original download.

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Paypal takes another beating ;)  A2A 182 shall  make another appearance this evening :)

TEAM AVSIM "Fly Anything" Member     BAW 1193

Boeing777_Banner_TechTeam.jpgBry_zps718b876b.png