Sign in to follow this  
christiaan

Craters near Bogota airport

I emailed VirtualCol and asked about the files in the SAME folder. I was told the files that are in the SAME folder is supposed to go in the FS9\Scenery\SAME folder. The installer did not install those files correct.

PS: I don't have any problems with this scenery

Could the craters be a Flatten question  as on some forums members have similar problems, or an

exclusion issue in the Afcad ( although as I wrote I may have had this issue since the install of

FSGlobal).

Have sent an e-mail to Pilots, with a photo, just waiting now for an answer.

Hi Christiaan.

The craters are just lakes.

You have addon mesh which is accurate. The lakes are stock water features. MS designed them, and their elevation, to match their stock, inaccurate, mesh. That means that water elevation often won't match terrain elevation. That will be the case all around the world. Some lakes in craters, others up on levees.

To my knowledge there are three ways around the problem, none of which is really any good. You can disable the addon mesh (not good), or disable the land-water-mask for that area (no more lakes or wide rivers for about 2 degrees latitude & longitude around Bogota), or make a new LWM for the area (lots of time consuming and detailed work.

The LWM for the area is in file ..\Flight Simulator 9\Scenery\Same\scenery\HP928300.bgl

If you disable it by renaming to HP928300.xxx you'll find the craters are gone, but so are the lakes.

There are applications for creating your own. I did consider it until I saw how many water bodies there are in that area. I use one called SBuilder. That will do the job if you fancy having a go at it.

Out of interest I've found a couple of other oddities about FS Global & default scenery.

In Guyana there's a big spike in FS Global 2008, visible from 40 nm all round. Go to SYKM or SYIB for a closer look. It shrinks and divides in two as you get closer but it's still about 8000 feet tall.

rora7_zps9ac493b5.jpg

rora4_zps4b2e16a3.jpg

rora2_zps864604d6.jpg

In Tanzania there's a couple of orphan taxiways, elevation about 180 feet, from the stock GCLP. They don't show but the local Tanzanian FL******.bgl makes accommodation for them by digging a huge gorge into the local 4000 foot high terrain. The gorge is huge in depth and length - about 200 miles long with a 135° bend at the south end. It cuts a gap through water and vector scenery; flying through them at high speed is fun and a good place to practice straight and level flight in different attitudes. The whole thing reminds me of the early Tomb Raider games, or Indiana Jones films.

rift1_zps157ead1f.jpg

rift5_zps99e18ce2.jpg

rift10_zpsa9e2d4d6.jpg

Best regards,

Dave

Thanks Dave,

Disabling the HP file did the trick but as you wrote the water has disappeared.

Pity there is not a flatten out somewhere.

I am not an expert when it comes to making your own files.

Does the file affect large area of the scenery around Bogota.

By default SKBO airport is on a plateau. Some meshs as my LOD7 of rhumbafloppy rises the whole area to the same level. But the three lakes haven't been adapted too. So I did a flatten line in my scenery.cfg, and it works. Try to add this line with your VirtualCol entry in your Scenery.cfg:

Local=Addon Scenery\VirtualCol (or something like that)

Flatten.0=8363.8,N4*45.21',W74*13.50',N4*45.21',W74*5.61',N4*42.92',W74*5.61',N4*42.92',W74*13.50'

The altitude of 8363.8 ft is the one of the airport in my FS9. Maybe the altitude of your airport is different. In that case you have to modify it, as the flattened area includes partially the airport.

The above line has been made with FlattEX - one of the most simple tools. An other one is FSTFlatten. This tool allows to flatten almost "surgically".

Bernard

Be aware, scenery.cfg flattens can only quadrilateral. You can produce custom-shaped flattens using SBuilder or ADE... which is what I usually do.

The Flatten did the trick to resolve the crater/water issues, I have changed the HP928300 back to bgl.

Once again many, many thanks to everyone who tried to help.

Much appreciated.

Christiaan